Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-17-2008, 05:23 PM   #15

Jamie,
DirecTV does not have any receivers that are capable of outputting to more than one source. The dual output receiver from Dish Network is an excellent option for RVers as you can put one box at your video control center and get 2 different programs on 2 different TV's. What I have always wondered was why did Dish Network produce such a receiver? By this I mean, how many households would have any use for this option? Wouldn't a receiver in each room work better? You have to be able to run cables from the one receiver to multiple TV's as well as have these close enough to the receiver so the RF remote signal doesn't get blocked. Anyway, just a question that has always bounced around in my head. Maybe I shouldn't have let it out since I have never had to do a home installation!
Bill Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-17-2008, 06:42 PM   #16

Bill.

Good question. I can't tell you why they did it, but that is what I have. One of the nice things about it, is that anything that is recorded on the DVR can be viewed by either tv or both tv's at the same time. If I had a reciever in the bedroom and one in the living area (a DirecTV setup) and I wanted to watch from my bedroom what I had recorded in my living room, I'd be up a creek. So, whatever their reasons, I like the dual DVR. Also, my house is about 70' long, and there are 3 insulated walls between my receiver and my bedroom remote and it gets the RF just fine unless my batteries are low.

Satellite Internet Solutions
JamieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 03:57 AM   #17

Ah, that makes sense. Sounds like it uses a very good RF remote as well. Some of the older DTV RF receivers would barely work outside of our RV.
Old 04-18-2008, 08:30 AM   #18

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have Direct TV and a KVH dual output LNB. I run one output to the front and the other to the rear. 2-TV sets, 2 different programs. Both me and missus happy. I couldn't care less about HD and wide screen TV. I mostly enjoy old movies and Fox News. She watches Food Channel. Neither is enhanced by HD .

2002 Itasca Suncruiser - WH Chassis - 35U - 2006 Jeep Liberty
hamguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 11:42 AM   #19

Winnebago Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by WALT888:
Can I actually view 2 programs simultaneously with Direct TV and my single Kingdome </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Yes, you can. We are DirecTV customers, and that's exactly what we do (except we have the Winegard Movin' View dome). When Earl's busy watching March Madness, or some other sports programming, I'm upstairs watching something else on the TV in the bedroom.
Old 04-18-2008, 02:23 PM   #20

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Yes, you can. We are DirecTV customers, and that's exactly what we do </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
This is exactly correct with the one caveat that you need two separate DTV receivers (one at each TV) to make this happen.
Old 04-29-2008, 10:22 AM   #21

Well....as someone else posted on another thread, Direct TV has an ad in the latest Highways mag that offers free receiver, antenna, installation, DVR etc. I called and asked what they would provide and was told I could get a complete HDTV receiver and antenna system(on a tri-pod)and all I would have to do is plug it into my TV input. When I started asking technical installation questions about the antenna, number of LNB's, KU and Ka band sts, etc they transferred me to a person in QA and he seemed to know a little more. But essentially he said that I could set up the tri-pod and run the cable in to the cableTV on my coach input or where the dome feeds now and I would be set-up for HD TV. Also they would provide additional standard receivers for my other TV's and the antenna system would also feed them. Should I be sceptical, becuase I am?

Thanks,..WALT
Old 04-29-2008, 12:51 PM   #22

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Walt, additional receivers are supplied at no charge, but you are billed $4.99 per month for each receiver. HD service is also additional cost per month.

Dieselclacker
Old 04-29-2008, 02:29 PM   #23

Walt,
I don't know for certain but I am guessing that you didn't call DTV but rather a dealer that would like you to believe that you did. DirecTV's phone number is 800-531-5000 (There are others but it will usually be some combination of 800-531-xxxx).
If you want to use a DVR (HD or otherwise) you cannot simply plug into your coaches wiring as only one cable exists (you need 2).
If you are going to plug into the coaches wiring from a roof mounted antenna that means either running the cables from the ground dish to the roof or opening a window and running the cables from the dish to the back of the DVR.
Should you be skeptical? Based upon the information you have posted I would have to say that you should be.
Old 05-30-2008, 02:21 AM   #24

for drict tv i can not find the phone number for fill time in the mh any help please
Old 05-30-2008, 06:59 AM   #25

Bill

I'm coming into this a little late but keep in mind that all the Dish dual tuner receivers do not put out HD on the second output. The 2nd tuner only puts out SD. I have one coax from the Dish into my HD tuner. Just before the tuner is a separator that allows two coax inputs to the tuners from the Dish. This allows 2 different stations(same sat) for 2 different TVs from my King Dome. My coach has a Wineguard switch box for the various outputs. TV1, TV2 and Aux(outside TV)
My tuner is right above the driver in the corner. I dropped a coax straight down to the exterior fuse cabinet and come in from a portable dish to the line and in direct to the tuner. I use the standard input for cable at parks that have it. When I get around to it, I will run a HDMI cable through existing runs to my 2003 Sony HD ready TV for better quality viewing.

Ron

2004 Mt Aire 4301
ronharp is offline   Reply With Quote