Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-21-2018, 03:36 PM   #1

Ford Super Duty Owner
Need some wifi tech help

Decided to automate a few things in RV. Cheap switches and outlets like Sonoff require 2.4g wifi with internet connection. At current park I can not get two different devices paired. Phone Apps only asks for password so can't connect to park wifi that requires user name and password to sign on. Phone hotspot will not work. Is there anything I can put in RV like maybe wifi extender or booster that will work? I am pretty sure Mobley would work but would rather use parks free service.

Suzie & Chuck USNR USAF USCGA Challenger Owners Club 2015 37KT Challenger, Demco Commander tow bar, Ready Brake, Sewer Solutions, Safe-T-Plus 41-230, 5-Star tune, towing 2017 Ford Edge FWD 3.6L V-6 four down & 385 FastTrack kayak in the basement.
Summer - Creede, CO Winter - Okeechobee, FL
ctpres is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-21-2018, 03:44 PM   #2

I would not count on good WiFi at a park. Where I am now, 100% and secure. Others we been to, for get about it!

A32Deuce is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 03:45 PM   #3

Ford Super Duty Owner
A Wifi as WAN router will solve your problem. It will allow you to use either the Mobley or Park Wifi and all your other devices will stay on the same router LAN.
1999 Jeep Cherokee & 1991 Jeep Wrangler Renegade
John Hilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 04:41 PM   #4

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by A32Deuce View Post
I would not count on good WiFi at a park. Where I am now, 100% and secure. Others we been to, for get about it!
I understand that. We spend most of the year at two parks. One has fiber to the site so no problem there. The other (current park) has excellent service but open service. Streaming movies is easy but system will shut down extra heavy users especially gamers. This is the park where I am having problems. On the road and elsewhere I will use Mobley that I have yet to test.
Suzie & Chuck USNR USAF USCGA Challenger Owners Club 2015 37KT Challenger, Demco Commander tow bar, Ready Brake, Sewer Solutions, Safe-T-Plus 41-230, 5-Star tune, towing 2017 Ford Edge FWD 3.6L V-6 four down & 385 FastTrack kayak in the basement.
Old 01-21-2018, 05:20 PM   #5

Entegra Owners Club
If you google this:

Private RV Wi-Fi and Making a Better Park Connection for Under $100

You'll find a link to a former frequent iRV2 poster's video giving a very thorough tutorial showing how to construct a system that will let you set up a WiFi repeater in your RV to establish a private, internal WiFi network for less than $100 in equipment.

His instructions are thorough enough that it doesn't take a network geek to set it up.

Take care,
Stu
Old 01-21-2018, 05:41 PM   #6

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by 777 Driver View Post
If you google this:

Private RV Wi-Fi and Making a Better Park Connection for Under $100

You'll find a link to a former frequent iRV2 poster's video giving a very thorough tutorial showing how to construct a system that will let you set up a WiFi repeater in your RV to establish a private, internal WiFi network for less than $100 in equipment.

His instructions are thorough enough that it doesn't take a network geek to set it up.

Take care,
Stu
Thanks Stu. Been batting zero so far and just based on description - bet that will be my answer.
Old 01-21-2018, 06:27 PM   #7

Entegra Owners Club
Watch the video a few times before you get started. At one point in the setup process, you're required to turn off your internet connection to complete the setup. While you've disconnected from the internet, you won't be able to watch the video. In the video, David warns you about that. I did my setup at home using a desktop computer with a continuous internet connection while I used a laptop to complete the setup.

Although the video is, if I recall correctly, more than a year old, it's still current for the necessary equipment.

There are quite possibly firmware updates for some of the equipment. David describes the firmware update process in the video.

Take care,
Stu
Old 01-26-2018, 06:22 PM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
Coastal Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
I've had that setup working for a number of years now, works great.
Kiawah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 06:27 PM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Any of several Wi-Fi repeaters should do what you want. You need a local network with one connection point to the CG Wi-Fi.

Alpha Camp Pro is one such setup. Easy to configure as the interior and exterior radios are interconnected by usb.

Set the SSID of the internal network on the Wi-Fi repeater the exact same as on your Mobley. Then all devices will attach automatically to whichever you have powered up.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 06:39 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
What you are looking for in a WiFiRanger. It is a complete turn key solution. I have mine connected by ethernet to the following: DirecTV Genie, TIVO Romeo, AppleTV, and a Apple Time Capsule. Then connected by WiFi are our laptops, iPhones, and iPads. I get my internet access either a Sprint hotspot or park wifi if it is useable. Great customer support and easy to use software. My internet access is secured by a encrypted VPN provided by WiFiRanger at no cost. Check it out its a great product and has worked good for me. www.wifiranger.com
Ron Postma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 07:10 PM   #11

Entegra Owners Club
If you can wait a few weeks, as I understand, Winegard will have this product available sometime next month: http://www.winegard.com/wp-content/u...ts/WC-1231.pdf It's their brand new ConnecT 2.0 that they claim is "The Next Generation in Internet Connectivity". They're offering two versions, one with 4G LTE + WiFi Extender capability ($349) and one with only the WiFi Extender capability ($199).

Take care,
Stu
Old 02-07-2018, 01:10 PM   #12

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctpres View Post
I understand that. We spend most of the year at two parks. One has fiber to the site so no problem there. The other (current park) has excellent service but open service. Streaming movies is easy but system will shut down extra heavy users especially gamers. This is the park where I am having problems. On the road and elsewhere I will use Mobley that I have yet to test.

Did you get your Mobley through ATT $20/mo plan that ended in September? If so, just use it & forget about campground wifi.
2013 Newmar Canyon Star 3911, 2005 Dodge Grand Caravan - Braun Accessibility Modified Toad, Remco Lube Pump, 5 Star Tune, Progressive Industries EMS-HW50C, Coach Net Emergency Road Service, FMCA 378968
Jim T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 01:26 PM   #13

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim T. View Post
Did you get your Mobley through ATT $20/mo plan that ended in September? If so, just use it & forget about campground wifi.
I wish - just bought it. If calculations correct I should be able to keep up to five wifi devices running on Echo and be under 1 gig which will be $10 a month plan. Should have problem solved one way or another by the time we head back south this fall.
Old 02-07-2018, 02:22 PM   #14

Workhorse Chassis Owner
As my wife’s girlfriend used to say: “Shoulda, Woulda, Coulda!

2013 Newmar Canyon Star 3911, 2005 Dodge Grand Caravan - Braun Accessibility Modified Toad, Remco Lube Pump, 5 Star Tune, Progressive Industries EMS-HW50C, Coach Net Emergency Road Service, FMCA 378968
Jim T. is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
wifi