Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-19-2019, 03:48 PM   #15

Found Monoprice short coax cables. Price is really good, will depend on how much they charge for S & H for 2-3 cables like 3'.

Thanks for the heads-up on Monoprice.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-19-2019, 05:26 PM   #16

I agree with the earlier advice from astrocamper, don't use crimp connectors. Use compression connectors. The strippers and compression tools are not that expensive and readily available on Amazon, etc.

I use RG-6 bulk cable and the compression fittings astrocamper referenced for longer runs. I have not used the more expensive quad shielded RG-6. It does not seem necessary.

I use mini-coax for all of my short runs. Mini-coax is great for RV cabinet wiring, as the cables are smaller in diameter and much more flexible, making it easier to work with in the confined area. For short run coax cables I used C2G (Cables 2 Go) Velocity Mini-coax cables for years with great results. They come in a variety of lengths, including 1.5 and 3 foot. However a couple of years ago I bought bulk mini-coax cable and compression fittings and started to make my own. They are harder to find than RG-6, but worth the effort in my opinion. I don't use them for longer runs.

I have used mini-coax for Directv (High Def.) and OTA connections with no problems whatsoever.
Old 07-19-2019, 05:59 PM   #17

Another happy monoprice customer here.
Old 07-19-2019, 07:54 PM   #18

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodekyll View Post
Specs include some restrictions on length. You can't just cut off 14.5" of coax, end it, and expect it to perform optimally. There are lengths and fractions of lengths that work best, especially shorter ones.
Under matched conditions the specific length of coax is irrelevant unless it's so long insertion loss reaches the point of excessive signal attenuation. The only time a length would be critical is when the feedline is used as an inline matching transformer or phasing line, which is never the case for over the air, cable or satellite TV applications.

Mark B.
Albuquerque, NM
Mark_K5LXP is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 09:53 PM   #19

The other thing to consider, with respect to the highly qualified advice given, will the quality of your cable make a minutia of a difference in the quality of your viewing pleasure?
Old 07-20-2019, 07:04 AM   #20

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatChance View Post
will the quality of your cable make a minutia of a difference in the quality of your viewing pleasure?
There are a few different attributes of cable "quality".

Attenuation - how much signal loss there is from one end to the other. The less loss the "better" but in today's digital world if you're getting enough signal to see anything at all, any more doesn't make it better. For short inter-equipment jumpers of a few feet, this is largely irrelevant because even "poor" cable isn't long enough to matter.

Shielding - keeping unwanted signals outside and wanted signals inside of the coax. "Better" coax has better isolation. Probably more important where you have a lot of different systems operating in the same proximity vs the line you use to connect your wineguard antenna from the roof. Quad shield is the "good" stuff spec'd for satellite and cable.

Mechanical - how durable it will be in various environments. Here in NM, ultraviolet from the sun eats up plastic like crazy. "Good" cable will be more resistant than the inexpensive PVC coated coax jumper from wally world. Indoors it's less of a concern.

Generally "good" cable is marked with a manufacturer and part number. Example, Commscope or Belden. Other grades may be marked with just the type, like "RG-6" which tells you more or less what kind it is but not much about loss, jacket or shielding. Stuff that's not marked at all I would say is "jumper grade", good enough to try and if it works then fine but nothing I would install where I couldn't easily replace it.

Mark B.
Albuquerque, NM
Mark_K5LXP is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 07:31 AM   #21

One advantage to making your own cables not mentioned yet is being able to run the coax through a smaller hole than would be necessary otherwise. Run the coax through the hole, then install the compression fitting on the end. Allows for a nice tidy pass through bulkheads and such with a grommet fitting snugly against the coax.
1974 GMC 4108a - Custom Coach Land Cruiser
richard5933 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cable