RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-18-2019, 09:01 PM   #1

Need to order two 1.5' or 3' coax cables

I am looking to order a couple of coax short cables, but with so many brands available how do you decide the best one to get?

Read a list of top 10 listed by a professional electrician but the reviews on each one of those has a few complaints that sound like what to be avoided.

No local stores anymore selling cables, at least not under 6', and not sure Wal Mart cables are that good anyway.

Any suggestions on a solid reliable coax cable for my Directv receivers and dish?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-18-2019, 09:11 PM   #2

You want RG6 type cable....I make my own..try Amazon

Old 07-18-2019, 09:31 PM   #3

Belden cable is among the best.
rk911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 05:12 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
I make my own also. For that short of a cable I don't think it matters much what cable to get. I would look more at the connectors and the flexibility of the cable itself. Will they need to be waterproof?
reubenray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 05:57 AM   #5

Might be a good time to add to your tool box. Coax crimper is not expensive, and neither are the end pieces. Your local Ace Hardware should have what you need to make your own cables. Then next time around you will have what you need.
Old 07-19-2019, 07:47 AM   #6

or get a 6 foot one, coil it a bit, and hold with zip ties. don't make this complicated. for 6' almost anything will work as long as it is the proper cable type.
bigchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 09:04 AM   #7

Spartan Chassis
The best online place Iíve found for all kinds of cables is Monoprice found here:

https://www.monoprice.com/?gclid=EAI...SAAEgLhavD_BwE
2016 Ford Edge Titanium
Victory Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 11:48 AM   #8

Another +1 for Monoprice. I recently fished RG6 coax, HDMI, Cat 6 network, and a RCA video (for a new rear view camera) cables from our front entertainment cabinet to the bedroom TV in the back of the coach. I got all the cables through Monoprice. I have been using them for several years and they provide great cables and electric/audio/video gear at the best prices.
Old 07-19-2019, 12:20 PM   #9

I've been working with cable for 30 years -- coax, network, that kind of stuff. Cable is built to industry standards. Coax is about as simple as it gets and among the easiest to get right. I use cable certification equipment worth many thousands of dollars, and I can tell you that at the home level it's not really worth fussing over -- any Wal-Mart or home-depot-level inventory will do the job. All you need to care about is the spec you're concerned with and the length.

Specs include some restrictions on length. You can't just cut off 14.5" of coax, end it, and expect it to perform optimally. There are lengths and fractions of lengths that work best, especially shorter ones. Factory assemblies are most likely to be in rigid compliance with specs. DIY, not so much. So getting or building some oddball size in order to have the shortest length possible isn't a good idea. You're better off buying a standard length -- say 2 meters -- that you know will perform well, and then coil the excess. This also allows you to reposition equipment later without having to buy more cable.

When I have folks doing their own home cabling I often suggest they go to their local charity thrift store for materials. Someone else has already spent the big bucks on the shiny gold-cuffed factory stuff. My customer will get his (any length) for about a dollar.

But anyone with a strong hand, an ability to follow directions, and a good eye for detail can successfully crimp their own cable. It's not rocket surgery. It's also not worth tooling up and learning to do right for a one-off job.
rodekyll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 12:39 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by wagonmaster2 View Post
I am looking to order a couple of coax short cables, but with so many brands available how do you decide the best one to get?
For something 3 feet or less it doesn't much matter. You're looking for a patch cable like what came in the box with a new DVD player, TV converter box, etc. If you have a thrift store in your area they probalby have a bin of coax jumper cables for a buck or so... or a local big box store like WalMart or Best Buy or Home Depot might have some in bubble-pack in the Electrical Dept.

When I need "F" connector cables and I'm not in a real hurry I check out the "Video Accessories" web page at www.allelectronics.com - right now they have a black three foot cable for $1.25 and a white three foot cable for $1.50... a 6 foot one is $2.25... Their web site is a fascinating list of neat toys. And if you ever get to L.A. their store is worth a visit... all he stuff that they don't have enough of to put on the web site is there... and the top shelf of the outside wall is an electronics museum... all kinds of test gear and consumer electronics from the 1940s, 50s, 60s, and more... they even have a TV set with channel 1 (the FCC canceled channel 1 in 1947 so the set has to be pre-1947).

Just remember that All Electronics is a surplus store, and they charge shipping so the out-the-door price will be higher than what is on the web page... and that what they have this month may not be there next month... but there is some stuff that they always have... like "F" cables, cellphone charging cables, electronic parts, etc... They had the "Bosch style" 12 volt 30 and 40 amp relays that I used to off-load the headlight switch and ignition switch in my RV... I have no doubt that if a local source like Wal-Mart or Home Depot doesn't have what you need that you can find something on their web site that you need over and above the F-cables.

On the other tentacle there is www.monoprice.com if you want new... When I did computer networks I'd use them because they had the next prices for computer network cabling and if I had the order in by 2pm Pacific Time and paid extra for Fedex it would usually be at the job site by 10am the next day.

Mike
Old 07-19-2019, 02:02 PM   #11

Great information. I'm trying to decide between 1.5' and 3' since they will just be used to connect the SWM switch to my Winegard Carryout Dome and too much length would be in the way, and if I should ever need to replace one in the cabinet over the driver's seat the 3' one would be nicer. Wal Mart and Lowes both have 6' cables.
Amazon has several listed but reading the Reviews on each there is always 1% to 8% of users who have problems with ends breaking off, no threads in one end of cable, wrong length sent, or the cable just doesn't transfer information. Even tho 74% to 90% of users had no problem and rated the cables 5* out of 5 it's still hard to go against the grain.

Being water proof wouldn't hurt but no more often than I use the Dome it probably wouldn't be a necessity.

PM: Just looked at Monoprice's web page but didn't see any coax cables listed. Looks like everything else.
Old 07-19-2019, 02:31 PM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wagonmaster2 View Post
PM: Just looked at Monoprice's web page but didn't see any coax cables listed. Looks like everything else.
https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=3030
Old 07-19-2019, 02:56 PM   #13

I would recommend getting coax compression tool and compression fittings and making your own. The cable and satellite installers don't use crimp on connectors any more.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://smile.amazon.com/BlueCosto-S...ustrial&sr=1-2

https://smile.amazon.com/PPC-Belden-...RWTYRT0B0234CJ
Old 07-19-2019, 03:10 PM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Unless you think you're going to be making a lot of cables in the future, it would be hard to beat those Monoprice prices. Those look to be really good quality cables, based on the strain relief moldings on them.

Tags
cable