Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-09-2012, 04:08 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
need TV Satellite help

I am still trying to figure out how to get my tv's to work with satellite dish without running a cable out the window.I have a 2011 damon daybreak.Above the passenger side cabinet there is a DVD player and an outlet that has 2 cable jacks one is marked tv-sat the other is marked cable.I tryed to hook up the dish receiver to the tv-sat jack but,could not get it to work.I know I read one of the replys here before couldn't remember which one.Need help Please!!!!!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-09-2012, 05:50 PM   #2

Country Coach Owners Club
When you say running a cable out the window I take it to mean that you have a dish antenna on a tripod or similar stand. And that you can get it to work by connecting the antenna directly to your dish receiver with a coaxial cable.

If that's the case, then I'd try connecting the dish antenna to the cable input jack that normally is found in one of the basement compartments. Then connect your dish receiver to the "cable" jack in the DVD cabinet.

FWIW
Dave & Cathy, 2002 Country Coach Affinity, 42', #6103, CAT C12, Sold - Retired From RV'ing, Linux Mint
CoCoDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 06:02 PM   #3

Thor Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
I have the same issue. Recently got a used class C along with a Dish Tailgater. I see an F type connector jack under one of the dining benches but I am not sure where the other end is. I thought that the other end is probably on the roof, which I can't yet get to due to no ladder. So I resorted to running the coax out the window. I don't have a 'basement' in my class C so I would be interested where the other coax jack is on my rig as well.
Old 12-09-2012, 06:03 PM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
WindsorDave
I tryed that but,still couldn't get it to work.I have jacks under the living room tv.I plug the cables into those from the back of the receiver and run the cable out the window to the tailgator that way it works.I had a tech from camping world tell me I had to run another cable but,that just don't sound right
Old 12-10-2012, 07:42 AM   #5

papaw and Mike,

There should be a connector accessible somewhere from the exterior of your rig where you would connect the coax from the RV park's cable TV service.

Then there might be a distribution panel inside that allows you to feed the TV from a DVD player, cable TV, off-the-air antenna, etc.. If so then the "Cable" option would be selected to route the satellite signal to the TV.

HTH,
Dave & Cathy, 2002 Country Coach Affinity, 42', #6103, CAT C12, Sold - Retired From RV'ing, Linux Mint
Old 12-10-2012, 07:53 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Send a message via Skype™ to Qwert66
Don't forget to turn off the roof antenna amplifier (if equipped) when hooking up an external signal feed (park cable / sat dish) to the distribution box/target component.

On ours the coax "service cable" goes from the outside el. bay to the a/v distribution box above the driver cabinet. Works for portable dish or park cable.
Old 12-10-2012, 09:31 AM   #7

The above instructions are good if you have a Dish Network receiver. If DirecTV, then you will need two cables.
vraines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 04:27 PM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
papaw.1

thank all of you for your input i will try this again this weekend and see what happens so I may be on here again wanted more info.and again thanks for all your help.
Old 12-11-2012, 04:52 PM   #9

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ok, on the Daybreak the SAT cable connection goes to one of two places. MOST likely the roof, There shoudl be either a sticker on the roof or an extra "Stink pipe" (Tank vent pipe) if you have one of those that does not make sense from a plumbing angle (IE in the center of the roof) that's where the wire goes.

I have seen folks extend it down the side of an RV do not recommend that.

Option 2, which I recommend.. As I recall the Daybreak is a front end engine Gasser. (Same as my intruder, in fact same owner's manual)

On the driver's side remove the screw caps from the "A" pillar (That is the one at the edge of the windshield) and remove the screws and do the best you can at removing the plastic cover, You will see a bunch of wires there already.

RUN not one but 2 RG-6 cables down the "A" pillar (I mean you might as well run 2 while you are at it) I ran mine through the firewall (you can push through the foam sealent next to the steering column) into the engine area.

I then drilled two small holes in the brake bell crank bracket and attached a double ground block (Radio shack or other electroinss or sat-tv store) If you only need one cabble leave the cap on the connnector you don't use or put a dummy cable end on it (Take a crimp on, fill the "Tube" with glue (GOOP works well) and screw it on)

That is where I connect the sat.

IF you ever get a roof mount. antenna (Dome or dish) That will come into the wall plate or cable marked SAT...

Get an A/B switch and set it so A is the rooftop, and B is the one I just descrbed.. Makes it way easier to hook up when you park under the "Evil signal eating tree"/ If you do that ask and I'll give more info, but no need now.
Old 12-11-2012, 06:08 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by vraines View Post
The above instructions are good if you have a Dish Network receiver. If DirecTV, then you will need two cables.
Only if you want to record one live channel while watching another live channel or record two different live channels while watching a prerecorded program at the same time. I have only one coax going from the DVR to the antenna and can watch a prerecorded program while recording a different program on a live broadcast.

FWIW
Old 12-11-2012, 06:13 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by vraines View Post
Maybe. Depends entirely on the type of dish they're using, and the receiver. The OP hasn't said what equipment he has at all, so we just don't know.
Old 12-11-2012, 06:29 PM   #12
YC1

Get your satellite working through the window. Then connect your receiver to the one marked "cable". Find the connection located on your rv that says "cable". They can hide these in plain site or in pain site. Could be a little rubber covered connection or mounted in or near the electrical bay for example. In any case, you MUST find it. Borrow another set of eyes. Once you have found that end, run a long cable without moving your dish to that input. If it works you are off to the races. If it does not work there could be a splitter in the line somewhere making it very difficult for the novice to sort out.

I am interested in the one marked for tv. That aside for a moment, do you have a wall plate with a small button on it? When you press it there should be an indicator light. This plate sends voltage to your crank up antenna if you have one.

WA8 has an extensive answer that will make you very happy in the end but this one may get you up and drinking a beer quicker. If the above method works keep in mind if you are using a dvr you will be limited in functions. Now if you are using a SWM system then you only need one coax. More on that if necessary.

Some pictures would really be helpful.

YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 07:11 PM   #13

Thor Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
OK, I think that I have partially solved my problem of being able to find the external antenna jack for my RV. It was located at the inside top of the compartment that has my shore power cord. Thanks for other poster's help on this one. Now I have to find out if there is an amp hooked up in the line as well as if there is RG6 or RG59 between this external antenna jack and the internal antenna jack under the dining bench. Unfortunately, I won't be able to test this setup until next spring when I turn my tailgater service back on.
Old 12-12-2012, 07:27 PM   #14
YC1

You should be able to test it. They don't turn the signal off. You can at least get signal strength, just no programming. And don't worry what type of coax it is. It will work as long as there is nothing in the line. If you know how to use an ohmeter it is easy. Just short one end, check the other. Remove short and check again. If that works the line is clear.

YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
satellite