Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-14-2014, 11:14 PM   #1

Needing computer help again

We're currently in a campground that has secured Wifi. When I try to log onto their wirless network even using their code i get a message "The wireless security settings on this computer does not match the setting of ____ (the campground name).
I used this Wifi last year with no problem, I can use an unsecured wireless network here in town, I had no problem recently at a CG in Kansas, nor any problem last month in a CG in Arkansas while visiting relatives there.

What is different about this CGs network, is there something I need to change in order to use it, and if I do make any changes here then what will happen at any other CGs?

Any help will be greatly appreciated but please make any suggestions simple as this is a 77 yr old computer Dummy.
wagonmaster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-15-2014, 04:06 AM   #2

Your computer already had a profile stored for this particular campground setup. It's trying to connect to it using the security settings that were present last time you visited. Apparently they've changed things since then. To resolve this you need to completely delete the WiFi profile setup for the campground name - as if you've never been there before. This will not affect other WiFi profiles you have stored.

You don't mention which operating system you have, but I'll assume Windows 7 for now. Here are the steps to click in order:

START -> CONTROL PANEL -> NETWORK AND INTERNET - > MANAGE WIRELESS NETWORKS

Now you should be presented a list of stored Wireless networks that your computer has stored. Find the name of the campground WiFi in the list and left click once on it's name, it will become highlighted in color, then choose REMOVE at the top of the window. Close the MANAGE WIRELESS NETWORKS window. Attempt to connect to the campground WiFi again and you should be ok now.
Old 09-15-2014, 03:45 PM   #3

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
What Operating system is on your computer.. and how old is it.

There are at least Three Wi-Fi Security protocols, Some older hardware does not take kindly to the newest protocol.

Another issue I have seen... Have been a good thousand miles (more actually) from my home and "Search for Signal" showed my home router (Say What) Now I know for a fact a router over a kilo-mile away in my basement is NOT going to be detectd so what happened.

Not sure but I suspect the client read the MAC address of the router, which may well have been the same as mine.

And it tried to log in with my encryption key.

had to Forget (Delete) the record for that router and re-try, This time it properly ID'ed the router and let me connect.
Old 09-15-2014, 03:53 PM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 94-Newmar View Post
Your computer already had a profile stored for this particular campground setup. It's trying to connect to it using the security settings that were present last time you visited. Apparently they've changed things since then. To resolve this you need to completely delete the WiFi profile setup for the campground name - as if you've never been there before. This will not affect other WiFi profiles you have stored.

You don't mention which operating system you have, but I'll assume Windows 7 for now. Here are the steps to click in order:

START -> CONTROL PANEL -> NETWORK AND INTERNET - > MANAGE WIRELESS NETWORKS

Now you should be presented a list of stored Wireless networks that your computer has stored. Find the name of the campground WiFi in the list and left click once on it's name, it will become highlighted in color, then choose REMOVE at the top of the window. Close the MANAGE WIRELESS NETWORKS window. Attempt to connect to the campground WiFi again and you should be ok now.
I agree. Worked as a Camp Host for a few months this summer and we had similar problems and solutions when some people returned to the RV park.
Old 09-15-2014, 07:21 PM   #5

Everyone hit the nail right on the head. Sorry I haven't answered sooner but today I couldn't find the Unsecured network I was using last night and couldn't get on the CG network either. Finally broke down and went to the office. Just as was suspected, they have been screwing around with things since we were here in June.
The office had a list of things to do that was left by whoever does their computer work that would take the CG off my computer's memory. It was a longer routine than offered above and it seemed to work except before their network was Secured and now what I'm finding it says it's Unsecured. Not sure what they've done there. Oh, by the way I'm using Vista and not sure how old the computer is but I purchased it about the 2nd month Vista was offered.
Thanks for the suggestions. If I could have found a Network to get on this morning I wouldn't have had to go to the office and would have gotten better answers also. Can't believe how much information you guys have to offer on the Forum. Thanks again.
wagonmaster2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
computer