Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-28-2016, 07:53 PM   #1

Excel Owners Club
Netflix and Clueless

I have a Vizio ECO 1080p, Dish network with a VIP 612 DVR, a Verizon Jetpack and a white dog. I am a full time rver and we travel around a lot and I set up my dish manually. Can I get Netflix? Does it use data? Can anyone inform me as to how these work together (if they do)?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-28-2016, 11:57 PM   #2

I've read one can get Netflix thru Dish. Not sure if it's true, or what it costs, but I'd love it too be true. You could buy a Google Chromecast dongle and sync with your Jetpack. Your data will be sucked up faster than a fat guy at a buffet 😜👍🏻

1996 Country Coach Intrigue 😜
UncleBilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 05:04 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Yes, you can get Netflix, and yes it will use data...more than you'll want to use. It doesn't matter what device you use to get Netflix, it has no offline viewing capability so you not only will use a lot of data, you will also need a very good internet connection.
WYRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 07:24 AM   #4

As a side note, it is real easy to blow through your data cap at home on wired internet also. I went through nearly 200 gig in a couple of weeks.
powderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 08:02 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by powderman View Post
As a side note, it is real easy to blow through your data cap at home on wired internet also. I went through nearly 200 gig in a couple of weeks.
X2. And then my isp started threatening me to charge more since we were using so much data. "They" are gonna get you (and your money) one way or the other!
gspot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 08:30 AM   #6

An alternate solution is to get a T-Mobile account and take advantage of their Binge-On service (free video streaming of Netflix, Hulu, YouTube, and a list of others). I use a lot of internet data for work and have a 22 GB plan that costs me $92.15 a month with taxes and fees. Last month I streamed an additional 35 GB worth of video, all without charge. Speeds are good, between 8-12 Mbps. I use Chromecast to send the phone video to my TV set.

Mobile Broadband Unlimited Data Plans w/ No Annual Contract | T-Mobile
alvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 09:59 AM   #7

Howdy!

We use Netflix and Amazon Prime to stream to our TVs by way of Cromecast. We have a unlimited grandfather data plan with Verizon and use about 160gb plus of data a month.

"Happy Trails"
Chiefneon
chiefneon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 09:56 PM   #8

Just get the Netflix DVD's. They are happy to send the DVD's anywhere you specify. No data needed for those.

200 giga bytes. Holy cow, are you steaming 4K?
B Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 02:10 PM   #9

Getting your entertainment in two hour chunks on plastic disks through the mail is so Twentieth Century. Being able to choose what you want to watch according to your current mood and for however long you want to without being restricted to what is available on CD and was mailed to you, is a big plus. Also, for someone like me who only gets mail once a week, CDs just aren't an option.
Old 05-31-2016, 08:26 AM   #10

Alvo - "If it works use it". I notice your rig is is Twentieth century, is that any reason to not use it? We use streaming all the time at our house with fast almost free internet. On the road we have one unlimited Verizon device, but many times you can't get a fast signal so we play the old plastic disks. I mostly get a few CD's I buy before we leave on a trip. After we watch them I sell them on ebay. But Netflix will also deliver to any address you say. So if you are on the road and in a spot for a while that works.

BTW I also have several film cameras I use all the time along with my near new DSLR. And I still have a couple hundred vinyl records I play all the time. And I read books on paper not kindle's. Lots of new stuff is not better than old stuff. Many new things are made because they are cheaper or more convenient.
B Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 08:35 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
I don't know if anyone mentioned it but you can actually download amazon prime content now. So you could save a little data when near a Hotspot
okcnewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 08:59 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiefneon View Post
Howdy!

We use Netflix and Amazon Prime to stream to our TVs by way of Cromecast. We have a unlimited grandfather data plan with Verizon and use about 160gb plus of data a month...
For those of us that have a Verizon unlinited account it's a blessing but most don't so you have to be careful or you'll get a BIG supprise and the end of the month.

I feel sorry for those with AT&T or Comcast (Xfinity) since they have data caps. Timewarner doesn't but then you don't really have a choice on which one unless your moving.
Old 05-31-2016, 01:26 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by B Bob View Post
Alvo - "If it works use it". I notice your rig is is Twentieth century, is that any reason to not use it? We use streaming all the time at our house with fast almost free internet. On the road we have one unlimited Verizon device, but many times you can't get a fast signal so we play the old plastic disks. I mostly get a few CD's I buy before we leave on a trip. After we watch them I sell them on ebay. But Netflix will also deliver to any address you say. So if you are on the road and in a spot for a while that works.
My "Twentieth Century" reference was supposed to be humorous.

Netflix will only deliver (mail) disks if you have a valid mailing address to have them send them to you. I don't, except for my mail box which I only get to about once a week or so. Even if I did have a place to get them, it's still not a really great service as one's only source of television content.

Since T-Mobile supplies the video streaming data to me for free, and since the streaming from them works really well, that's what I use. I don't have a DVD player, so Netflix disks or Redbox aren't options. Over-the-air channels continually have signal drop outs that make them maddening to watch. Being able to scan through a catalog of titles and think "I'm in the mood to watch a comedy tonight" and then pick one is valuable to me. Being able to choose something else if the first selection isn't to my liking, is even more valuable.
Old 05-31-2016, 01:45 PM   #14

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by alvo View Post
My "Twentieth Century" reference was supposed to be humorous.
I was laughing my hind end off. Sounds like something my son would have said to me.
luvlabs is offline   Reply With Quote