RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-03-2010, 02:07 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Network Broadcast on Dish Network

Dish told me this AM that I could get network broadcasts of ABC NBC CBS FOX and PBS from SOBONGO.COM. FOR $4.00 a month anywhere. There is a channel on Dish at #81 that states it. The phone # is 1.877.444.4388, I called but customer service is closed on Sunday. Anybody know anything about it???

Thanks
Dave

djhinds is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-03-2010, 11:15 PM   #2

We have been using it for several years. When we signed up, there was an application on the website to print, fill out, and have notarized to be mailed or faxed in. Seems like I also had to include a copy of the registration for the rv. The 4 bux is per network but you get 2 feeds for each: east coast from New York and west coast from San Francisco. It's also available in HD for additional bux. We signed up for 10 dollars per month for the entire package and we're not happy about the price increase but we have had absolutely no problems with the service and it is available everywhere. I think it's on the 119 satellite. (We use 119 and 110 from the rv.)

Old 10-04-2010, 11:53 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by djhinds View Post
Dish told me this AM that I could get network broadcasts of ABC NBC CBS FOX and PBS from SOBONGO.COM. FOR $4.00 a month anywhere. There is a channel on Dish at #81 that states it. The phone # is 1.877.444.4388, I called but customer service is closed on Sunday. Anybody know anything about it?
We've been getting DNS from Sobongo (used to be All American Direct) since we switched over to Dish Network back in May.

You can find the RV Waiver at My Distant Networks (click on "RV Requests" at the top of the page). Print out the RV Waiver, complete the form, and fax it to the number shown on the form together with a copy of your RV's registration form (note that the form does not require notarization). You should have DNS up and running within 24-48 hours, perhaps sooner.

By the way, that $4.00 is not for ALL the channels...that's PER channel. If you want ALL four SD channels from both New York and San Francisco, it will cost you $14.99 per month. All SD DNS stations come on the 119 satellite. If you want HD, which costs $12.99 for all four channels from *either* Chicago or Los Angeles, you need to be able to pick up the 110 satellite.
LindaH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 12:02 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Can't help with the Dish DNS but we've been using DTVs DNS for over a year now and it works well. I think it's $12/month with DTV but if you are getting HD you can only get either east OR west coast feeds and they choose for you based upon your "service address".

Also, at least with DTV, it's hard to find anyone on the phone who is very knowledgeable on DNS so you have to be patient and may have to talk to several folks before you get what you need.

Good luck,

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 09:45 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
We have used All American direct for several years, even migrated to a new account my wife started after I closed mine. We pay on a 6 months basis. We also have local channels as we move around by just calling in and changing our service address when we are going to be somewhere for a couple of weeks or more. I know a few folks that call and change their service address every day if they are moving, but I prefer not to do that. It has worked out well so far.

Have a great day Jobert
Old 10-05-2010, 01:02 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickO View Post
I think it's $12/month with DTV
Look at your bill. It seems to me when we switched from DirecTV to Dish Network back in May, we were paying something around the $14 level for DirecTV DNS.
Old 10-05-2010, 01:11 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

I'm sure you're right Linda. I was guessing from memory.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
Old 10-14-2010, 08:54 PM   #8

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have all local channels on my Dish Network receiver at home (Los Angeles area. When I go on the road, I can't get any of the local channels. I use the same receiver that I use in the house. How does Dish know where I am at?

George
cvrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 12:22 AM   #9

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by cvrvr View Post
I have all local channels on my Dish Network receiver at home (Los Angeles area. When I go on the road, I can't get any of the local channels. I use the same receiver that I use in the house. How does Dish know where I am at?

George
They don't,but the locals are spot beamed to a small area, the size of which is differnet for different localities.
John Hilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 01:50 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvrvr View Post

George
Actually, you're from one of the two areas in the nation which doesn't spot beam local channels. The other is NYC. Those form the basis for DNS service by not being spot beamed.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
Old 10-15-2010, 07:45 AM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
There was a Dish rep at the Winnebago rally in July who said beginning sometime in Nov Dish will again be able to offer distant networks. I just confirmed that recently by phone when I needed to call Dish. I don't remember the exact date but think it is about mid month. This had to go through the federal government for approval which the rep said happened in the spring.

The rep was with another company who is offering a no contract Dish set up.
Numbers 6:24-26
Olive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 10:40 AM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickO View Post
Actually, you're from one of the two areas in the nation which doesn't spot beam local channels. The other is NYC. Those form the basis for DNS service by not being spot beamed.
Dish Network SD DNS comes from New York and San Francisco. Dish Network HD DNS comes from Chicago or Los Angeles.

Dish Network's SD DNS is on the 119 satellite; their HD DNS is on the 110 satellite. George *should* be able to pick up his Los Angeles stations (only the major stations...ABC, CBS, FOX, and NBC) if he's able to tune in the 110 satellite, and assuming he has HD service. However, they may be found elsewhere on the menu, not where he's used to seeing them.