Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-17-2016, 11:36 AM   #1

New Antenna Advice

I have a 2003 Monaco Monarch with a 27 inch RCA Beast of a TV. Hasen,t worked since the digital changeover. The other day I bought a New Vizio 24 inch 1080 TV. I think its there newest tv now.?? I removed the beast and temporarilt installed the Vizio. Plugged in to the 110 outlet and connected the existing coax to the back of TV.So off we go to the woods, parked leveled and turned on the TV powered up the original batwing winegard anytenna. After so clicking this and that I got the NO SIGNAL and that was that. Haven,t tried since returing home. With all that info please advise me, no info about domes or direct/dish no monthly bills. OTA only HELP Old Jim Athol Idaho
fayjim2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-17-2016, 11:39 AM   #2

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Make sure antenna booster is on and tv input is on "antenna", then do a scan for channels on the tv.
TinCanTee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 11:40 AM   #3

Did you make sure the TV is set to "antenna" and do a channel search?
Old 04-17-2016, 11:42 AM   #4

Ya beat me by one minute, TinCan.
Old 04-17-2016, 11:59 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Everyone beat me. TV on antenna+channel scan=TV reception.

May the roads rise up to meet you, May the winds be always at your back...
Pepper2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 10:14 AM   #6

No Signal

I still have questions? On the winegard distribution box I selected the antenna button for the main TV, on the same box I pushed power button to turn on the batwing antenna. Like I said before I connected the existing coax to the antenna/cable connector on back of TV. I turned on the TV and no matter what I did NO SIGNAL. Does this mean I,m just so far out of range or is the original 2003 Batwing not able to pickup digital?What kind of antenna do you use ?
fayjim2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 10:49 AM   #7

I believe the TV would say "No channels found", after doing a channel scan rather than no signal. Are you sure TV is set to "over the air antenna and your telling it to scan for digital channels ?
Old 04-18-2016, 11:08 AM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Check your manual that came with the TV. You need to set up your TV for the signal coming from the antenna. Usually, you push "INFO" and then make the correct selection from the list given.

Good luck

Ron
lanerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 04:45 PM   #9

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Forest River Owners Club
Your 2003 antenna should pick up HD channels just fine. They are broadcast on the uhf band. Their range is not as great as vhf band.
Paul
B D HOWie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 06:51 PM   #10

With old analog television, when you had a poor signal you would get a noisy fading picture. With digital televisions you get nothing at all. If you're in an area that doesn't have a strong enough signal for the tv to utilize, you won't get any reception. The first thing to do is to check and see if there is anything around to receive: TV Fool

The further away and the weaker the signal, the more antenna you'll need and the more precisely aimed it will need to be. Even though I'm in an urban area and there are a lot of local stations around, reception is poor using an indoor amplified antenna.
alvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 06:59 PM   #11

Country Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by fayjim2 View Post
So off we go to the woods, parked leveled and turned on the TV powered up the original batwing winegard anytenna. After so clicking this and that I got the NO SIGNAL and that was that. Haven,t tried since returing home. With all that info please advise me, no info about domes or direct/dish no monthly bills. OTA only HELP Old Jim Athol Idaho
Try the TV before going to the woods.

Find a parking lot where you know there is a good signal, then test the TV.
1995 38' CC Magna #5280 **** Sold after 21 years of enjoyment.
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 09:44 AM   #12

And, if you are in the fringe areas you will need to point the batwing toward the incoming signals. I use a phone app to determine which direction that needs to be and aim the antenna. Otherwise, no stations will be found, even if they are available. It's much more than just raising the antenna. Chuck
chuckbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 09:54 AM   #13

Entegra Owners Club
Yup. With HDTV, you need to point the antenna to the station or it will not be able to find any but the strongest signals. I use the app "TV Towers" on my iPhone and it shows me where they are.
MRUSA14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 09:38 AM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by alvo View Post
With old analog television, when you had a poor signal you would get a noisy fading picture. With digital televisions you get nothing at all. If you're in an area that doesn't have a strong enough signal for the tv to utilize, you won't get any reception. The first thing to do is to check and see if there is anything around to receive: TV Fool

The further away and the weaker the signal, the more antenna you'll need and the more precisely aimed it will need to be. Even though I'm in an urban area and there are a lot of local stations around, reception is poor using an indoor amplified antenna.
Other apps. for the tower location
TV Antenna Helper FREE - Android Apps on Google...

May the roads rise up to meet you, May the winds be always at your back...
Pepper2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
advice, antenna