Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-07-2010, 07:24 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
New Directv Receiver with old dish ??

I just installed a new 32 inch TV in the front of my RV. I want to get an HD receiver so I can hook up to my new tv with an HDMI cable. I know I can only pick up Standard Def (SD) with my old dish but i am almost sure I will get an upgrade in picture quality by using the HDMI cable.

The question is, will an HD receiver allow me to only tune the SD transponders and give me a normal guide/veiwing experience?

A new receiver is only 99 dollars at BEST Buy and Im'm willing to spend that just for the HDMI hookup.

David

DEG503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-07-2010, 07:26 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
That'll work fine. You won't get the HD channels, but you'll get anything your old receiver got.

joe

Old 01-07-2010, 07:43 AM   #3

Workhorse Chassis Owner
New Receiver

You should get HD channels (ESPN and TNT) in the channel 70-80 range. All others will be in SD. Good Luck. Walt
Old 01-07-2010, 07:48 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadwalt View Post
You should get HD channels (ESPN and TNT) in the channel 70-80 range. All others will be in SD. Good Luck. Walt
Maybe not. I think those channels are on the 110 satellite. If the OP's "old disk" is a single head (101 only), then he won't get those either.

joe
Old 01-07-2010, 08:17 AM   #5

You also would not get those HD channels (even with a capable antenna) without paying the additional fee for HD programming. It's hardy worth the extra cost for only a couple of channels.
While you can expect a better picture with the HDMI cable, it is unlikely that it will be any better than you would get by running an S-Video cable from your current receiver to the new TV. The new receiver is not a bad idea (get a DVR even if you don't currently have the 2nd input cable) and enjoy!
Old 01-07-2010, 09:16 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
HD

I actually already have the HD package because I piggyback off my home account. The SD receiver in the RV part times in my house guest bedroom.

I currently have it hooked up with the S-video cable and am unimpressed with the result over the rca cables. I have an upscaling dvd/dvr/vhs player in the rv too, and I am very impressed with the picture quality even from the vhs tapes as they are delivered through the HDMI cable. I think I will go ahead and give this a try and report back to y'all. I probably will have to do it on Sun or Mon as I have to travel to Las Vegas Fri AM for a bachelor party. (Not mine, but a long time friend, hopefully we will still be friends after this weekend)

David
Old 01-07-2010, 09:51 AM   #7

My eye tells me that SD pictures on my HD tv's is not any better than (and sometimes not as good) as my old tv sets. If you tell your HD receiver that you are using the 18" round dish, it will tailor the guide for the channels available.
ernieh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 09:59 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
setup

I'm glad you brought that up, I was looking through setup options on my current HD receiver and noticed there were MANY different types of dish options. Any other set up tips?

David
Old 01-07-2010, 03:58 PM   #9

Workhorse Chassis Owner
DEG503,

Save your pennies and look for Camping Worlds Winegard traveler (5 LNB) sale.

Put one on you DP and you'll never look back- You've got everything else you need- You'll be a " Very, very Happy Camper" .

Old 01-07-2010, 04:28 PM   #10
paz

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by DEG503 View Post
I just installed a new 32 inch TV in the front of my RV. I want to get an HD receiver so I can hook up to my new tv with an HDMI cable...

David
The newer DirectTV SD DVRs (R-22) have an HDMI output, so you don't have to go to the extra expense of getting an HD receiver just to use an HDMI cable to connect to your TV.
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 06:02 PM   #11

Are you aware that the$99 dollar price merely gives you the oportunity to LEASE the receiver and that you will pay a lease fee in perpetuity? You will not own it.

Quote:
I just installed a new 32 inch TV in the front of my RV. I want to get an HD receiver so I can hook up to my new tv with an HDMI cable. I know I can only pick up Standard Def (SD) with my old dish but i am almost sure I will get an upgrade in picture quality by using the HDMI cable.

The question is, will an HD receiver allow me to only tune the SD transponders and give me a normal guide/veiwing experience?

A new receiver is only 99 dollars at BEST Buy and Im'm willing to spend that just for the HDMI hookup.

David

Mercedes MBE 926
Eddie Foy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 06:25 PM   #12

Since the most you will ever pay for the receiver is only $99 I have never really seen the big deal about "leasing" a receiver or "buying" a receiver. When I throw it away (or ship it back to DTV) 4 years from now I will still have only paid $99. Additionally, if something goes wrong, I don't own the receiver, DTV does and I will have a much stronger case when I request a replacement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie Foy View Post
Are you aware that the$99 dollar price merely gives you the oportunity to LEASE the receiver and that you will pay a lease fee in perpetuity? You will not own it.
Old 01-07-2010, 06:30 PM   #13

Quote:
I actually already have the HD package because I piggyback off my home account. The SD receiver in the RV part times in my house guest bedroom.

I currently have it hooked up with the S-video cable and am unimpressed with the result over the rca cables. I have an upscaling dvd/dvr/vhs player in the rv too, and I am very impressed with the picture quality even from the vhs tapes as they are delivered through the HDMI cable. I think I will go ahead and give this a try and report back to y'all. I probably will have to do it on Sun or Mon as I have to travel to Las Vegas Fri AM for a bachelor party. (Not mine, but a long time friend, hopefully we will still be friends after this weekend)

David
If you have hooked up with RCA and S-Video and you are not happy with either result I suspect that you won't be much happier with HDMI. The problem may well be with the TV and not the connection. Let us know what happens if you do take this route.
Old 01-07-2010, 09:18 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Great information!

I am saving my pennies for the hd dish but am probably 18-24 months from that. Good to know that they have new sd receivers with hdmi, I do have the service contract and I heard sometimes those old recievers can attract coffee.

Nothing wrong with the tv, over air hd looks FANTASTIC. Upscaling dvd is as sweet as it should be. I'll post soon about how sd looks with an hdmi hookup.

David