Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-28-2011, 06:36 PM   #1

New monitor, lap top, or something else

I have a 6 yr old Dell Dimension 3000. The monitor keeps blanking out. I can get it to come back on, by turing the monitor off then on again.

These is getting tiresome. So, I need to fix it, buy a new monitor, or a
new computer system. I have found, the most costly part, of Internet use
is the ISP. I have basic cable & Internet, which at $75/month, I think is
expensive.

So, I have to make a decision about future use. It would be nice to have
web access, while RVing. But not really a necessity, because most of my
trips are weekends. I'm just wondering, if I got a new laptop. I could get
wireless access, at about $35/month, and save money in the long term.

It would only be about $400 more in cost, to buy a new laptop, as opposed to just a new monitor. I might then have acess while RVing as
well. Anyone have any ideas, on which would be more cost effective in
the long run?

I wish I could just fix the monitor, but I know of no way to do that. Plus
if the monitor is going, the rest of my system might not be far behind.
DougCP is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-28-2011, 06:47 PM   #2

Doug,

Do you mean that your monitor blanks out while you are using the computer or that it goes out if you leave the computer for awhile and won't come back on? If it's going out after a period of inactivity and not coming back on, it may have something to do with Windows power settings and not with the monitor itself.

I assume you've reseated any video card (if it's not on the mother board) and checked the video cable connections both at the computer and at the monitor.

If you do get a portable computer, you may want to look at MiFi (a personal mobile wireless hotspot) rather than a data plan for your computer. Can't make any recommendations because I haven't tried MiFi yet, but I will probably try Verizon's version once our FW is parked in the boonies. I use three wireless computers and an iPod Touch pretty regularly so a mobile hotspot makes more sense for me than a data plan tied to one computer.

liz
Old 03-28-2011, 07:07 PM   #3

I have checked the connections, no problem there

I have not done anything with the video card. I'm having an intermittent problem,
with the screen. Yes, it will go to screen saver mode, when I don't use it for a while. It has always done that. I have reset the monitor back to Factory Reset,
All Settings, several times. That has not helped. I think it's just a bad monitor.
DougCP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 07:29 PM   #4

I meant the Windows power saver settings (on the computer), not the monitor settings. I mention checking all the electrical connections (including video card if there is one) because it's easy for things to work loose just a little bit when you're moving the computer around. Basic troubleshooting involves unplugging the computer, then unseating and reseating all cards and cables.

You do want to check these things even if you replace the monitor. It would not be a good thing if you bought a new monitor when the problem isn't in the monitor in the first place or you'll have the same problem with the new monitor.
Old 03-28-2011, 07:53 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
In most cases, you can get a decent new Laptop with almost latest technology for the mid $300.00 range. We have two 15.6 inch laptops that we use at home and while traveling.

We use a Virgin Mobile MIFI card and can access the internet with both Laptops at the same time. We also have identical wireless printers at the sticks and bricks and in the MH and the MIFI card acts as a wireless router as well for the printers.

We pay $40.00 for unlimited access for the Vigin Mobile, I believe they now limit you to 5 Gigabytes per month for the base price for new customers.
Old 03-28-2011, 08:00 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
It is not worth the effort to fix a six year old computer. Back up your data files and go shopping for a newer machine.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 08:02 PM   #7

Simple way to test your system is to buy a new monitor from a store that accepts returns without a fee or hassel. If your current monitor is bad, the new one will cure it. Otherwise, you have a system problem.
Yellowstone Lake 6-1-2012
bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 09:02 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
If turning the monitor off and on fixes the problem, then it isn't the computer. It pretty much has to be the monitor. New monitors aren't expensive.
kjburns is offline   Reply With Quote