Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-06-2016, 08:24 AM   #1

New satellite system

Looking to purchase a satellite system for our RV. Hoping to find something reasonably easy to install and operate. Suggestions appreciated!!
48beardog is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-06-2016, 08:31 AM   #2

Depends if you want HD or not or have Dish's Hopper w/sling. We subscribe to Dish Network and just had the Winegard Trave'ler installed. Only way to get HD and be able to use the Hopper. Simply got tired and frustrated after a year of setting up my portable antenna and trying to find the sats.

I see a lot of Tailgaters, but don't believe they deliver a HD signal. I'm sue others will chime in here with suggestions.
Wbonsell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 08:59 AM   #3

Those portable automatic domes will work with Dish HD and/Direct SD. Depending on what you want and are willing to spend will somewhat dictate which sevice you choose.
We have Direct at home and take receiver with us when we travel. To accomplish this we have an automatic Winegard Travler on the roof and we take a stand alone dish/tripod package for the times when trees block the roof top dish. Setup is no big deal, I have done it enough times I know what needs to be done. If I were doing it again, I would save the 2K the Travler cost me and bought a good meter.
Old 11-06-2016, 09:07 AM   #4
Fro

Monaco Owners Club
This summer I pulled the in motion winegard off and installed the traveler for Direct TV. That was the easy part! Dealing with direct tv was the hard part. I would not recommend telling them your system is going into a motorhome, their brains stop processing when they hear that for some reason. I finally ended up visiting with an installer who is familiar with coaches and he basically did the paperwork and handed me the unit,.. after he programmed and activated it.

Direct TV only allows one Genie per account, and it is verboten to take it from the s&b by the family.. but direct tv did give me a HD DVR. Great picture, but can only get a signal to the main tv without fishing hdmi cable, which is impossible. I have not had much luck with the wireless HDMI transmitters, either.

OTOH, it costs 7 bucks a month to have direct tv in the coach..., which in the grand scheme of things, I can forgo having signal at every tv.
Old 11-07-2016, 07:55 AM   #5

Thank You!
48beardog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 02:24 PM   #6

We use a Wally and Tailgater, and still get HD programming. Using a portable Tailgater allows us to move the dish around to avoid trees and other obstacles. Having a Hopper at home w/Sling, we can use a smartphone as a hotspot and watch recorded programs in the RV.

[SIGPIC]sigpic160806_2.gif[/SIGPIC]
sd75mac is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
satellite