Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-24-2013, 08:46 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Question New system with Dish

I'm getting a new coach and it comes with TV antenna with power booster.

We already have Dish in our home.

I don't need a in motion receiver.

What might my possible options be?

I thought I only need a dish antenna and bring my home receiver on board.

Suggestions
jimbo2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-24-2013, 11:04 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
That's all you need. Bring your SAT box and connect to antenna. Any Dish compatable antenna from a Dish1000 on tripod, Tailgater portable, or for a Gucci setup the Winegard Travlr for Dish.
hogdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 11:52 AM   #3

Jim bo 2013 , I have the Dish Network 1000 also. I have my mother living with me so I don't take my home receiver with me. Dish will send you another one for $17.00 per month and if you're not traveling you just call them and they don't charge you for the months you're traveling. But my home and coach are DVR's and HD. I though I would just let you know but when you call Dish make sure they understand is a RV . It not there fault they don't know what a RV is in the Philippines. I just call when I know I'm talking with someone in the STATES.
Donald"Dr.Don"Watkins
MSgt USAF Ret
donwat91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 03:27 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Well I looked up the tailgater, but I guess the negatives might be that someone could walk off with it and it needs to be dragged out and setup.

I also saw the "DIGITAL MAGIC", (about $250) negative is cutting a hole on the roof and if under trees may not get a signal.

Also if I'm reading correctly I would need to manually find the sats.

saw the
Anser Portable Hybrid for $350

Lastly will these or other models have an issue with the Hopper receiver?
Old 11-24-2013, 06:18 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo2013 View Post
Lastly will these or other models have an issue with the Hopper receiver?
The only dishes you can use with a Hopper are
- 1000 (tripod dish)
- 1000.2 (tripod dish)
- 1000.4 (tripod dish)
- DISH 500 Pro Plus (tripod dish)
- Winegard Travler (rooftop)

Also, you'll need to get a Solo Node and 3GHz RG6 coax in order to connect the dish to your Hopper.
TechWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 09:08 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
If you're looking for a full featured system, you're looking at the Trav'ler or an antenna mounted on a tripod with two LNBs (SD) or three LNBs (HD). A dome (single LNB) has a lot of limitations whether it's roof mounted or portable. With a three LNB system (tripod or Trav'ler) you have everything, SD and HD. Multiple receivers can view and record on both tuners at the same time with a three LNB system.
kjburns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 07:40 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by TechWriter View Post
The only dishes you can use with a Hopper are
- 1000 (tripod dish)
- 1000.2 (tripod dish)
- 1000.4 (tripod dish)
- DISH 500 Pro Plus (tripod dish)
- Winegard Travler (rooftop)

Also, you'll need to get a Solo Node and 3GHz RG6 coax in order to connect the dish to your Hopper.
Jimbo2013--your profile suggests you live in FL. If you plan on staying in the eastern states you may want to get the 1000.4 Eastern Arc (EA & triple LNB) dish to get better reception than with a Western Arc dish. The 1000.2 can be configured with either EA (twin) or WA (triple) LNB's. I'm not certain, but the .4 may be reconfigured with the WA LNB's. The 1000.2 EA dish does have some limitations for receiving some local stations found on the 77 satellite (parts of FL and PA for example), but you could pull them in with your over-the-air antenna if needed. A new 1000.2 or .4 dish with LNB's and mount can be found on e-bay or amazon for $70 -75 shipped to your home. Both dishes are a single wire hook up to the receiver. I use the 1000.2 EA dish (live in NH, but winter in FL), but If I go out west, I will put on the WA LNB's for better coverage.

Fran
Rockwood27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 11:01 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockwood27 View Post
Both dishes are a single wire hook up to the receiver.
If OP plans to hook up a Hopper, then single wire coax only works with equipment I described previously. Otherwise, a Hopper will not be able to use all (or any) of its 3 tuners.

Wiring a Hopper is not the same as other DISH receivers.
TechWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 07:30 AM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Called Wineguard, they said the only one that will work with the hopper receiver is the Traveler sk1000 w/a solo node

The Pathway 6002, Gm1518, TR 6100 all need the 211Z receiver.

From their website
The new DISH Hopper and Joey receivers require the use of DISH Pro Plus equipment and are only compatible with the following systems:

• SK-1000
  • TR-6100
  • DS-1005
  • DS-5005

The new DISH Hopper and Joey receivers require the use of DISH Pro Plus equipment and other accessories not provided with Winegard satellite systems. Winegard recommends the 211z receiver for use in an RV or Mobile environment
DISH Pro and DISH Pro Plus Equipment

Some DISH accessories are only compatible with DISH Pro or DISH Pro Plus systems. This is most commonly seen with Dual Tuner DVR receivers that are supplied with a separator accessory.

The separator allows 1 coax cable to be wired from a satellite dish to a separator, then split into 2 lines to connect to a DVR. Some Winegard satellite systems use a standard Ku-Band LNB, sometimes referred to as a "legacy" LNB which are NOT compatible with DISH Pro seperators. A DVR receiver requires 2 lines from the satellite dish to the receiver when a separator cannot be used.

So now more confused.

I think for starters the inexpensive Dish on a tripod will work provided I can use the Hopper and get stuck with another monthly charge.

I saw a Utube on setting one up looks like a bit of a pain, but now I see there are Apps that can make that easier.
Old 11-26-2013, 07:01 PM   #10

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Entegra Owners Club
Jimbo, I would suggest searching for TechWriters wiring diagrams regarding the Hopper systems .They pretty much cover every scenario available and could be a big help explaining the different options. They are very well done. l'll see if I can find them.
pat
FMCA 212171
FreshAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 10:31 PM   #11

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via ICQ to Fred and Bonnie
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo2013 View Post
I saw a Utube on setting one up looks like a bit of a pain, but now I see there are Apps that can make that easier.
I set-up a portable 1000 WA dish for the last couple of years. This year I gave it up and settled for a Carryout and a 211K receiver. Yes, can't DVR anything, now I watch everything live, if I miss a show, just watch it on line. BTW the tripod portable set-up took around 15-30 minutes, the Carryout takes about 5 minutes, and no running back and forth to fine tune.

Fred
Fred and Bonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 06:23 AM   #12

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Overland Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred and Bonnie View Post
I set-up a portable 1000 WA dish for the last couple of years. This year I gave it up and settled for a Carryout and a 211K receiver. Yes, can't DVR anything, now I watch everything live, if I miss a show, just watch it on line. BTW the tripod portable set-up took around 15-30 minutes, the Carryout takes about 5 minutes, and no running back and forth to fine tune.

Fred
The 211K can be used as a DVR. You add an external USB hard drive and call Dish to activate the DVR. Should be a one time charge of $10 to activate the DVR feature of the 211K.
Owners of: www.tvformyrv.com
TVforMyRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 11:18 AM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Are you going to be full time or just a "vacation" RVer? For occasional use, I'd definitely go with a carryout type antenna (Tailgater, Anser, Pathway, etc.) and VIP211 receiver.

Tags
dish