RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-07-2018, 04:00 AM   #1

New to Dish sat. I like it

I've only had Dish 1 month and so far, I like it. I am comparing to Dtv, which I had for 3 years in my mtr home until I gave up on them.

So far, I feel good about Dish and find their technology to be user friendly.

I'm not sure about the "Wally" and "Hopper" receivers but I hear those terms.

I am using (2) 211 receivers and a Winegard Pathway x2, along with a standard Dish network ground dish so I can give my 2 tv's separate programing. I am parked for the winter so the 2 antennas isn't a problem but when I leave here, I intend to only use the Pathway x2 to get separate progaming on 2 tv's.

I ordered an external hard drive from Dish to make 1 recever a DVR. I will add the 2nd if the first one works ok.

steve11669 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-07-2018, 04:42 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
We have had dish for 20 yrs now, I think you will be happy. From what I read here, dish seems to be the most rv friendly. Welcome aboard!

Old 11-07-2018, 08:49 AM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Been with Dish for a couple of years and for the most part very happy. Wally is so much better than a 211 but to each their own. It runs 10's of degrees color is one reason. The interface is also better (more like a Hopper - new technology).
Old 11-07-2018, 09:13 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve11669 View Post

I am parked for the winter so the 2 antennas isn't a problem but when I leave here, I intend to only use the Pathway x2 to get separate progaming on 2 tv's.

I love our Pathway X2, I also bought 2 Wally receivers and like you plan, I bought the Pathway because I could run 2 receivers at the same time. Well the problem with this is both receivers MUST be on the same satellite at the same time. It was so frustrating when my wife was watching something in the bedroom and I was watching something in the living room, then if one of us changed the channel and it was on a different satellite then the other TV. That tv would lose reception. Then you have to go through the set up all over. We finally gave up on 2 receivers and just use one.
2004 Montana 2955RL, 400 watt solar, 2000 watt inverter/charger, 4-Interstate 225AH 6volt golf cart batteries, All LED lights,Champion Remote start 3- fuel option 3100/3400 inverter/gen.- 2000 F-350 7.3 4x4 long bed crew cab SRW.
weredoingit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 09:36 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
As others said, the Wally is vastly better than the 211. It’s smaller, faster, has a “Hopper-style” user interface and best, of all RF remotes rather than IR remotes.

And, with that dish and two receivers they can only watch different channels if the are on the same SAT. So, if the “master” receiver is watching a channel on SAT 110 the 2nd receiver can only watch a different channel if it too is on SAT 110.

You would need a larger oval Sat Dish with multiple LNBs to have truly sep programming on two receivers.

The dish inside your dome Sat Dish is too small, too round and has only one LNB so it can’t see two SATs at the same time. As you move through channels it mechanically moves the dish to physically point at the different SATs.
Old 11-07-2018, 08:12 PM   #6

What is the hopper and/or hopper style?
steve11669 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 10:15 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve11669 View Post
What is the hopper and/or hopper style?
The ViP211 is part of Dish's older receiver family. It has a different menu system and user interface.

They replaced those with the "Hopper" and "Joey", named after Kangaroos for some marketing reason. They have a different way of working and allow you to have a main receiver at home (a Hopper) and then all your other TVs in the home would connect to that one main receiver (the Joeys). In the older system each TV needed a separate full receiver of it's own.

The ViP series still works but they are replacing them. They introduced the "Wally" (more Kangaroo names) to work like a ViP series receiver where the Hopper's didn't work - such as on a RV. It has the same menu system as a Hopper and is their newest version but isn't a Hopper or a Joey.
Old 11-07-2018, 10:40 PM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by computerguy View Post
Been with Dish for a couple of years and for the most part very happy. Wally is so much better than a 211 but to each their own. It runs 10's of degrees color is one reason. The interface is also better (more like a Hopper - new technology).
Agree about the Wally. I've had 211k, 211z, and now Wallys. The new UI, runs cooler, and a RF remote.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 09:27 AM   #9

I just bought an external hard drive on Amazon. It was cheaper than buying through Dish. It works great with the 211 receiver.
Old 11-08-2018, 09:59 AM   #10

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via AIM to tmw188
I have one of the older vip211 receivers. We do not have Dish at home yet but my change to dish in the spring, if so what would be a better receiver to use with the ďpay as you goĒ service. I only want one receiver so would the Wally or the Hopper be a better replacement choice? Iím using the King Tailgater dish.
Old 11-08-2018, 10:10 AM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmw188 View Post
I only want one receiver so would the Wally or the Hopper be a better replacement choice? I’m using the King Tailgater dish.
You don't have a choice. With that dish only the Wally or the older 211 receiver will work. (There are even older receivers that would work as well-but they are no longer available.)
At home, for new service you'll most likely want the Hopper. And if you have multiple TVs that you want to use Dish then you'd also get Joey's for those.

None of those - the Hopper or the Joey - will work with that dish on your RV. There are other RV Dishes available that can use the Hopper system. They are the full size folding dishes you mount on your roof.

I'm not sure if you were meaning that you'd have a "pay as you go" system for your home, but you can't do that. It's only for mobile use.
Old 11-08-2018, 10:22 AM   #12

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Yes only for the MH. I might be willing to buy the Wally to replace the old receiver because of the heat it puts out but didnít know which one would work with the King Dish. Now I know thanks.
Old 11-08-2018, 12:33 PM   #13

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by creativepart View Post
You don't have a choice. With that dish only the Wally or the older 211 receiver will work. (There are even older receivers that would work as well-but they are no longer available.)
At home, for new service you'll most likely want the Hopper. And if you have multiple TVs that you want to use Dish then you'd also get Joey's for those.

None of those - the Hopper or the Joey - will work with that dish on your RV. There are other RV Dishes available that can use the Hopper system. They are the full size folding dishes you mount on your roof.

I'm not sure if you were meaning that you'd have a "pay as you go" system for your home, but you can't do that. It's only for mobile use.
I don't think Dish cares if you use the RV Pay as You Go at home. They also offer a Flex Package for home use. I don't think they can tell where you are. The only thing that would be affected is local channels.
1999 Jeep Cherokee & 1991 Jeep Wrangler Renegade
John Hilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 03:28 PM   #14

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
New to Dish sat. I like it

No I wouldnít use it at home but without home Dish service the pay as you go is about $37mo. with Dish home service itís about $11 as an add on I believe.

Tags
dish