Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-03-2019, 02:45 PM   #1

New to Satellite. Going From Direct TV to Dish

I'm not familiar with all the acronyms so my descriptions may seem simple...We are trying to install a satellite antenna and receiver system into our 5er without much success. We weren't able to get our Direct TV equipment going so we've switched to Dish. The phone rep from Dish said we could use our Direct TV dome antenna- Winegard G3- with our new Wally receiver. Was this incorrect? Following the on-screen directions, I'm unable to get the two to communicate with each other. I don't hear the antenna moving. Is the G3 wrong for the Dish receiver? Seems simple but it's still above my pay grade..
87_Fixr is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-03-2019, 04:34 PM   #2

Check dip switches on antenna. directv has only 8th down. Dish has 4th, 7th and 8th down, the rest up. Fingers crossed for you.
racer0624 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 06:26 PM   #3
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
We just switched to Dish and I used the Tailgater antenna with a King MB700 quick release mount on the roof so I can easily take it down a put on a tripod when trees are blocking the signal to the roof location.

I have the Wally receiver with external hard drive and the Dish dual-channel OTA adapter. Tomorrow I am installing a USP 4-port hub and the Dish WiFi adapter to connect to my internet router.
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 07:16 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
In the Carryout manual you will find the switch setting for Dish and Direct. Simply remove the cover and set the dip switches for Dish.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 08:23 PM   #5
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 87_Fixr View Post
I'm not familiar with all the acronyms so my descriptions may seem simple...We are trying to install a satellite antenna and receiver system into our 5er without much success. We weren't able to get our Direct TV equipment going so we've switched to Dish. The phone rep from Dish said we could use our Direct TV dome antenna- Winegard G3- with our new Wally receiver. Was this incorrect? Following the on-screen directions, I'm unable to get the two to communicate with each other. I don't hear the antenna moving. Is the G3 wrong for the Dish receiver? Seems simple but it's still above my pay grade..
If you're unable to hear the antenna moving when you turn the power inserter on, check your wiring. If you are running through a prewire in your fifth wheel, bypass it and run directly from the power inserter antenna port to the primary input on the G3 and press the power button on the inserter. The antenna should start a search sequence that you hear some noise on.

As others have noted, the dipswitches do need to be set correctly for DISH, but they are not under the dome on the G3, but rather on the power inserter you use to power on the antenna.

Also, here's a link to the manual on your model. It has some additional information that may help: https://d38mfwkkxtsm2m.cloudfront.ne...ts/2452398.pdf

Lastly, as always, if you have continued issues setting it up, please feel free to contact us by either method listed below my post - our people will gladly work with you to determine what the issue is and help to get everything up and running smoothly.
winegard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 03:39 PM   #6

Well guess what I did...I sent the inserter back to Direct TV with our receivers when we switched to DISH! Man do I feel stupid. No wonder I couldn't connect

So there are other inserters on Amazon for $6, $10, $12 and I called Winegard for a price for what I need- $100. And over 60 minute wait time when I called Winegard. Guess it serves me right.

Thanks to all for the advice. I gotta go call em again
87_Fixr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2019, 02:09 PM   #7

I too am switching from Directv to Dish, while planning on using our Winegard Travlr dish, and getting the Outdoor Pack. Based on what I read, the only equip I need is either the Wally’s and/or Hopper. I plan to have a separate receiver for the bedroom, with the other 3 tv’s on a separate receiver, with DVR capability somewhere.

What else do I need?

Is this a relatively simple installation or something that needs technical expertise?
Bchtravlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2019, 03:27 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Forest River Owners Club
New to Satellite. Going From Direct TV to Dish

You need to convert your travler .. about 300 in parts assuming you do it yourself.
Old 10-19-2019, 06:54 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bchtravlr View Post
I too am switching from Directv to Dish, while planning on using our Winegard Travlr dish, and getting the Outdoor Pack. Based on what I read, the only equip I need is either the Wally’s and/or Hopper. I plan to have a separate receiver for the bedroom, with the other 3 tv’s on a separate receiver, with DVR capability somewhere.
First, like already mentioned, you'll need to convert your DirectTV Travler to DISH.

Second, since you have 4 TVs and also want DVR capabilities, your best bet is a Hopper 3 with three Joeys for all those TVs. While you could connect three Wallys to a Travler and wire one of them to two TVs (plus hang hard drives on all three Wallys for DVR capabilities), I'd recommend using a Hopper 3 instead.

Finally, converting your DirectTV Travler to DISH is a DIY job. However, I think DISH still requires Hoppers (at least your 1st one) to be installed by an installer. Contact a local sat installer, not DISH, to do this.
TechWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2019, 08:27 PM   #10
MnP

Quote:
Originally Posted by TechWriter View Post
First, like already mentioned, you'll need to convert your DirectTV Travler to DISH.

Second, since you have 4 TVs and also want DVR capabilities, your best bet is a Hopper 3 with three Joeys for all those TVs. While you could connect three Wallys to a Travler and wire one of them to two TVs (plus hang hard drives on all three Wallys for DVR capabilities), I'd recommend using a Hopper 3 instead.

Finally, converting your DirectTV Travler to DISH is a DIY job. However, I think DISH still requires Hoppers (at least your 1st one) to be installed by an installer. Contact a local sat installer, not DISH, to do this.
I bought my Hopper and Joeys from Dish Depot and installed myself. Dish only requires authorized installer on leased equipment.
MnP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 02:53 PM   #11

I am taking the rig to NIRV Atlanta in a few weeks, and was planning on having them install while doing other small pm jobs and inspections.

As much as I like DIY jobs, I am not fond of getting on top of the RV, and time constraints exist.

I like the Hopper 3, with three Joeys, and the conversion kit route.
Bchtravlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 08:18 PM   #12

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
When Dish was out installing our home system, I asked the tech to assist with setting it up in the rv.

His response: huh? Don't know anything about that.

When did they start doing installs in RV's?? I ended up doing it myself.
egwilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 11:52 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by egwilly View Post
When Dish was out installing our home system, I asked the tech to assist with setting it up in the rv.

His response: huh? Don't know anything about that.

When did they start doing installs in RV's?? I ended up doing it myself.
I found one in 2012, so they're around, but you might have to make several calls.
TechWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 07:44 AM   #14

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Which leads me to believe that Dish does not endorse them doing this, otherwise they would have dedicated RV installers on their team.
egwilly is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dish, satellite