Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-11-2014, 09:04 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
New TV; now no radio

After replacing the old tube TV with a new LED TV and being very proud of my work, I have discovered I have no sound coming from my dash radio. Is there a connection or is it coincidence? Any ideas on how to get the radio working again would be appreciated. The radio seems to be receiving the signal but no sound is coming from the surround sound speakers as was the case before the TV replacement. This is in a 2007 Winnebago Journey.
slapfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-12-2014, 03:28 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Well, to state the obvious (just in case it helps), did you check to see if the TV/Radio speaker selector switch is set to 'Radio'? Mine is in the upper cabinet, but I think on the newer rigs like yours, it is a dashboard switch. Could it have been bumped?
Indian River, De
CaptBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 07:41 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Well a potential problem is that I asked DW to check the switch as we were driving down the road at the time. My next step will be to check it myself and get back to you.
Old 07-13-2014, 08:12 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
If you have a factory surround sound system from Winnebago they used some kind of gadget to connect the speakers to it. Ours looks like the wires to it are directly soldered to the speakers inside the original Sony CRT TV. How it works I'm not sure but there is a dash switch to toggle between the radio and TV.

We have an LED to replace the old tube and I figure trying to attach the wires directly to the speakers like in the old one would be tough to do with the new one so it seems like connecting the headphone jack to it will be the answer. More on that when we get off our duffs and install the new HDTV.
HD4Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 11:23 AM   #5

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
On my Damon Interuder the dash radio and the house Radio/home theater use the same speakers, a Relay box selects.. Worked great for house but dash radio started cutting out on me... Saved me quite a bit on hair cuts for a while (As in was pulling hair out trying to figure it out) finally pressed on a MOLEX Multi pin connector on the relay box.. Head a SNAP as the latches latched,,, and it has worked perfectly since.

Idiots did not fully plug it in.
Old 07-14-2014, 05:56 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
I called the dealer from whom I purchased the MH today and was told the sound for the radio does travel through the original TV and then out to the surround sound system. So the answer I received was to find out if the TV I used has audio out capability and see if I can hook up to the audio cable that the original TV was hooked to. I will looking into it in a few days.
Old 07-14-2014, 06:07 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by slapfoot View Post
I called the dealer from whom I purchased the MH today and was told the sound for the radio does travel through the original TV and then out to the surround sound system. So the answer I received was to find out if the TV I used has audio out capability and see if I can hook up to the audio cable that the original TV was hooked to. I will looking into it in a few days.
So the dealer is telling you that the TV has to be on for your radio to work? Based on my past experiences with Winnebago coaches, I doubt that the dealer knows what he is talking about.

I have replaced the TV in several Winnebago coaches and never had a problem getting the radio to work. There are issues with getting the TV surround to work, but not the radio.
Old 07-14-2014, 06:17 PM   #8

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by slapfoot View Post
I had to hook the audio out when I changed TV's as well. I used HDMI to connect the TV, but had to connect the audio cables for the radio to work with the surround sound. Actually I hooked up all cables as they came off the old TV and added the Sat system with HDMI and everything worked perfect.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 08:40 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Finally an update to my no radio problem and as usual it was operator error. While installing the new TV, I removed the faceplate in the cabinet where the radio/TV switch is located. I did not disconnect the wires from the switch, just laying the faceplate on top of the switch box. Evidently one of the wires slipped off as I discovered while retracing my install steps today. Plugged it in and behold I have radio again. I have also discovered there is a device that will convert optical digital to analog sound which I have now installed. This allowed me to have all connections the same as with the old TV setup. The only new connection is to use the HDMI connection from satellite receiver to the front TV.

Tags
radio