RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-19-2018, 09:03 PM   #1

Newbie Canadian Confused

Hello

We just purchased our first fifth wheel and plan on traveling to the south for the winter months. I have been trying to research how we can have satellite TV and Internet on the road during our winter months. It seems that we cannot have a service provider from Canada that will work in the States. So my question is, can we purchase something in the States even though we are not residents? Any info would be helpful. Thank you!

shiba_girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-19-2018, 09:15 PM   #2

Send a message via Yahoo to rk911
dish network has a pay-as-you-go option which would work for you in terms of needing it only while you're in the states but i think you need a US address to subscribe. any relatives or friends in the states? i wonder if getting a US postal address would be sufficient? Any UPS store in the states rents out mailboxes which can be used as a forwarding or alternative mailing address. whether DISH would accept that or if The UPS store would rent to Canadians is something only each cn answer. besides Shaw what about Bell? are there other Canadian sat tv providers serving snowbirds?

rk911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 09:21 AM   #3

Freightliner Owners Club
If your Canadian, why not go with Shaw? Just do tell them you're traveling out of Canada.
gatorcq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 09:39 AM   #4

Triple E Owners Club
Asked that same question the other day to a fellow from Victoria BC as he was transiting through our park here in San Carlos, Sonora Mexico. He said that Shaw is the way to go, for now and for the future. He said that he stays in the Puerto Vallarta area and has no problems getting the Shaw signal. He pulled up beside us on the park’s roadway, which is also the departure strip. Opened up one of his storage bins, and voila, a 32” tv. Pulled up a couple of chairs, opened up a few bubblies, and he, his wife, my wife and I watched the Canucks vs Canadiens on HNIC Saturday night. Just too bad the Habs beat our Nucks.
When we get home in May, he’s invited us down Island to visit him and with his wealth of experience, he’s going to help us with a few things electronic and we’ll use his advice as to which antenna, receiver etc to purchase.

Cheers, safe travels.
Old 11-20-2018, 09:59 AM   #5

We have Shaw Direct, a Shaw Travel'r dish on the roof that finds and locks the satellites with the push of a button. We have 2 receivers, one a PVR. We receive service without issue as far south as Yuma, Az, I have read people use the service into Mexico with no issues.

Shaw will not provide any support outside of Canada but they have no way of knowing where you are unless you tell them. Make sure everything is working properly before you head south. Shaw doesn't want to know you are using the service outside Canada but I would venture that a considerable portion of their satellite business is just that.

If you need to get a refresh on a receiver you can initiate that from your Shaw Direct web account.
Polyian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 12:19 PM   #6
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi ! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the gang!

Have fun and keep her between the ditches!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 04:58 PM   #7

Following along, at one time Bell expressvu used to work, but apparently no more.
Internet has me stymied yet, tried the Walmart hot spot and pay as you go cards, could go broke doing that.
Brentw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 05:09 PM   #8

As a Canadian fulltimer, we use dish pay as you go in both Canada and the US. Shaw will work as well. When you sign up you do need a US address...we used an rv park address.... but you can specify all correspondence online. We pay each month via credit card. The problem with dish is that it doesn’t work well the further north you go ( we get it fine in Calgary but in Edmonton its iffy). I have heard that shaw might eventually stop working in the USA but for now lots use that. For internet we used a Verizon MIFI for years. Worked great...was cheap. A couple of years ago Verizon told us they could no longer provide service as we did not have a US address. We now use Bell data on our phone in Canada and the US.
netjam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 05:29 PM   #9

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Excesses View Post
He said that Shaw is the way to go, for now and for the future.
Well, for the near future!
It's only a matter of time before the two old satellites are de-comissioned, then Shaw satellite service will be no longer, south of the border.
Old 11-21-2018, 10:39 AM   #10

Thank you all for your replies...it appears that there is no reliable cross border services for satellite TV, other than Shaw, for the moment as others have mentioned the service might not work in the future. I will look into Shaw and possibly using my friends address in the US to get a DISH service.
shiba_girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 11:11 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiba_girl View Post
Thank you all for your replies...it appears that there is no reliable cross border services for satellite TV, other than Shaw, for the moment as others have mentioned the service might not work in the future. I will look into Shaw and possibly using my friends address in the US to get a DISH service.

Yes Shaw is all we have in Canada at the moment. There have been rumors that they will drop the old bird and only support the 2 new ones. The new ones do not have a footprint much further south that Portland Oregon. But Shaw has a lot of Snowbird customers and I doubt they are in a hurry to abandon us and the revenue we provide.

Also if you purchase a Shaw dish you may not be able to use it with Direct. I am not a satellite expert but I have been told that new dish equipment, perhaps an LNB and new receivers, would be required to support another providers service. I suggest you look into this before making your decision.
Polyian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 11:24 AM   #12

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by shiba_girl View Post
If your main reason for getting a satellite system, is for watching down south, I don't think I'd be running out and spending $3,000 + on an all automatic Shaw system right now. I think we may be within a couple of years of it no longer working.
Old 11-21-2018, 12:50 PM   #13

Send a message via Yahoo to rk911
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyian View Post
...Also if you purchase a Shaw dish you may not be able to use it with Direct. I am not a satellite expert but I have been told that new dish equipment, perhaps an LNB and new receivers, would be required to support another providers service. I suggest you look into this before making your decision.
suggest the OP look at RF Mogul dishes in addition to Winegard.
rk911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 01:42 PM   #14

Fleetwood Owners Club
Shaw and Direct TV are not compatible. Not sure about shaw upcomming changes if they will still be viewable, but Bell and DISH are compatible (receivers and antennas).

Xeena(German Shepard)
brian-nicola is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fuse, newbie