Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-06-2019, 04:38 PM   #1

Newbie to Satellite TV

I have a 03 Dutch Star that has a Newmar installed Winegard satellite dome/dish. I don’t have Direct TV but am considering it. My question is, how does the thing work in terms of knowing where the satellite is in the sky? Is it a manual pointing operation? Also, my rig has no control box that I can find so how does the Direct TV box get hooked to the roof top unit? What types of hardware are included with a Direct TV RV system? Please excuse the questions, this is all very new to me and seems I’m needs more hardware to make this work.
CSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-06-2019, 06:18 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Solo Rvers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSWolf View Post
I have a 03 Dutch Star that has a Newmar installed Winegard satellite dome/dish. I don’t have Direct TV but am considering it. My question is, how does the thing work in terms of knowing where the satellite is in the sky? Is it a manual pointing operation? Also, my rig has no control box that I can find so how does the Direct TV box get hooked to the roof top unit? What types of hardware are included with a Direct TV RV system? Please excuse the questions, this is all very new to me and seems I’m needs more hardware to make this work.
If this is all new to you like you say, then hire a pro to install it. Or you will probably have to have a pro fix what you did.
RV Vagabond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 06:50 PM   #3

Well, I've thought about doing that. I'll look online for some manuals, thanks for your help!
CSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 07:03 PM   #4

Hello CSWolf - Unfortunately, the Wineguard "dome" on top of your DS is totally obsolete with the new sattelites. I found this out when I contacted Wineguard on my dome ontop,of my Kountry Star. Replacement is quite expensive - around $1800. You can use a portable sat antenna which is around $600 - $700. You will also need to purchase a sat receiver.

Regards
Dutch Master
2008 Kountry Star
Dutch Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 08:03 PM   #5

SatPro in Florida has a tripod mounted dish for Direct.....I just got one, pretty easy to set up, I've always had a portable automatic one, and am using an H24 receiver that receives either std def or HD......the tripod unit was $119 and you can receivers on Ebay....I have Directv at home, but I bought 2 receivers for the rv, so that we can watch two different programs at the same time....paid $100 each for them, and costs $7 a month for their service...I didn't buy the meter for aiming the dish, I use an app on phone and the outside tv's signal meters ...
Bob_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 08:56 PM   #6

Location: 2007 jeep wrangler toad. lifted and locked.US Army Vet 1972-1975 2nd Armored Division
My old winguard manual dish on my 2002 journey still works, can't get HD, but direct TV came out and hooked up our box, showed me where the satilite was and.off we went. Hell I've been watching TV without HD for 60 years, no big deal haha!
G jeffers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 09:02 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by G jeffers View Post
My old winguard manual dish on my 2002 journey still works, can't get HD, but direct TV came out and hooked up our box, showed me where the satilite was and.off we went. Hell I've been watching TV without HD for 60 years, no big deal haha!
It will be when Directv switches to HD......your dish will still work, but your receiver won't....upgrade to a H24, and that's the only receiver that's capable of receiving both std or hd....you'll still see std def.....
Bob_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 09:46 PM   #8

Location: 2007 jeep wrangler toad. lifted and locked.US Army Vet 1972-1975 2nd Armored Division
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob caldwell View Post
It will be when Directv switches to HD......your dish will still work, but your receiver won't....upgrade to a H24, and that's the only receiver that's capable of receiving both std or hd....you'll still see std def.....
I'll deal with that when I have to.
Old 02-07-2019, 03:41 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob caldwell View Post
I checked Bob and I already have a H24, so that should work ?

Tags
newbie, satellite, satellite tv