Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-14-2013, 05:23 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Newbie: TV Systems

Hopefully I'm not abusing the privilege of asking dumb questions, but you folks have been great in getting us up to speed.

The wife is wanting to add more then the stock TV/VCR combo that came with our 99 Winnebago Chieftain. Obviously I can easily stick a DVD player in and add a flat screen to the bedroom hook up, but I'm wondering about satellite and other more modern options.

I'd like to know about stuff like approximate cost of unit and service, opinions on best providers, things to be wary of, that sort of thing.

Thanks in advance...
- Joseph and Sandy
Day 3 of our Maiden Run

(Snowbirds in Reverse)
Winnebago Chieftain / Ford Hybrid Toad
Raining Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-14-2013, 08:05 PM   #2

You probably want to go with a BluRay instead of DVD, and you may want to be able to handle an iPod sort of music source.

What I did was to get the Sony BDV_E390 system which plays BluRays, streams video off the Internet, and will handle iPod and other stored music sources. It drives 6 speakers for full surround-sound. (This was around $350 at Best Buy.)

For satellite, Dish Network lets you pay for only the months you want to use the service. Since you're In a Class-A, you probably want a satellite dish that will keep locked into the satellite while you're traveling. Those are lots of money however. If you're happy with satellite only while you're parked, the Dish "tailgater" seems like a good deal at ~$500 for dish & receiver. (You can go a lot cheaper than that if you're willing do do your own dish pointing.)
BarryD0706 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 08:53 PM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
papaw.1

Hi Joseph,
I sure don't want to confuse you ,but I use the Tailgator from Dish network and It is really easy to set up.The only thing you have to use it while your parked being it is a portable dish.Good luck and Many Safe and Happy Miles and Smiles.