Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-02-2013, 09:01 AM   #1

Country Coach Owners Club
Nice way to start new year dropped ipad

Walking out of house thought i had ipad secured but alas did not . slid out of case hit on a corner on the drive. cracked the glass in three places, now when i use it i am taking my fingerprints like a cheese grater. stopped by that little mad house in the mahl and the guy with the smirk said do you have an appointment , i said no he promptly said "go on line and set one up" need to check for ins but for now just go on with Toshiba tab
gutsgolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-02-2013, 09:08 AM   #2
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Ouch!

Did that with DW's Sony camera. Lucky I had obtained the extra warranty. It was repaired with no additional cost to me. The warrant has been paid for now, just waiting for my next klutz move.

Trust me, I feel your emotional pain.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 09:29 AM   #3

glad i am not the only one. My glass was shattered. ordered a new digitizer for $39 and replaced it myself. Hope to be more careful in the future but I am not betting on it.......
Cobra1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 09:39 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
I can do one better.... but with a android 10" XOOM ...

Placed it on top the wife's Q5 to get in and as I exited the neighborhood, heard the clatter of NOT reindeer feet :(

People behind me stopped to not run over it ...
went back expecting pieces and we were stunned to find no cracks...
and it was still powered up - works like a champ !!

Now the leather cover is a bit worse for wear, but guess it hit just right and slid for a bit !
Old 01-02-2013, 09:50 AM   #5

Country Coach Owners Club
cobra 1 is the digitizer the glass cover , hate to sound dumb , please expound.
gutsgolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 10:07 AM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Self repair

Unless you're used to working on stuff like this do not attempt to replace your own glass. Ifixit.com gave the ipad2 a fixit score of 1 out of 10. I.e. the lowest self repair score possible. There are other places than Apple who can repair them. Google is your friend!

I came up with this one : DigiExpress.us - The iPod, iPad and iPhone Repair Professionals!. They've been around for years. Looks like about $150 total, with shipping. The part alone is $99!

I've repaired computers, laptops, handhelds and iPods and I would think twice about cracking into my iPad. It's one thing to open an iPod Touch and risk $199 and quite another to crack into an iPad and risk $700+. Laptops are simple by comparison.

I don't know about digitizers but I found that Apple keeps a stranglehold on motherboards. Break a connector on the MB and you're done. They're easy to break and any guide you find on the net assumes you know how to release all the different types of connectors used in them.
Muddypaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 07:43 AM   #7

Yes the digitizer is the glass cover over the display. I agree it is not for everyone to replace but I found it rather easy after watching the video on YouTube.
Old 01-05-2013, 09:45 AM   #8

Oh, by the way, I am using my repaired ipad right now. It looks brand new. Hope to never drop it again but I am getting older and more clumsy.
Old 01-05-2013, 09:52 AM   #9

DD did that a couple weeks back. Lucky she buyout the insurance form bestbuy. Took it in, they handed her a brand new one and moved all her stuff oner to boot. You might check YouTube for videos on how to replace the glass. Ill bet you could do it at home for cheap