Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-24-2011, 11:42 AM   #1

No coax out on Direct Receiver

My next issue is that my Direct TV receiver / DVR does not have a coax out. Is there a way to convert the signal out to coax so I can connect to my splitter to allow the rear TV to see the receiver?
AccessMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-24-2011, 11:53 AM   #2

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Wow...I would call Direct tec support. Good luck with that.
Stevegd007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 11:59 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Direct TV has a modulator available that will convert the video signal to a channel 3 or 4 RF output to run to your other TV's.

You can also get a unit like this from Radio Shack.
RF Modulator : Converters | RadioShack.com

Dennis
DennisZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 12:03 PM   #4

Is the DirecTV receiver one that is just for High Definition? All my regular receiver boxes have a TV out coax fitting. My High Definition one doesn't. You may have to call DirecTV and have them swap it out. The coax signal is an RF signal and all the composite fittings on the box are digital. It would be too hard and expensive to convert them back to a RF signal.
Mike Canter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 01:54 PM   #5

Workhorse Chassis Owner
If it is a composite output signal the Radio Shack RF modulator at about $29 should do the job as mentioned above.

Component signals are expensive to convert to coax.

My DirectTv HR24-100 HD receiver has both component and composite signal outputs. I believe their older boxes do also.
Old 04-24-2011, 01:56 PM   #6

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Two answers:

1: If the receiver has composite AV out (Red/Yellow/White) AND you have a "Flex Vision" switch with the DVD option then you can get a low cost A/V switch (around 10 bucks at Big lots, 3 inputs too) and feed the A/V out from the sat receiver in in place of DVD.. Selecte DVD on the multi-switch and it should work

Option 2: As mentioned above, RF-Modulator, Any place that sells DVD players has 'em

Option 3: If you have a VCR or DVD,, Feed the A/V out to the A/V in and record-pause or just input pass through.

Alas, if you only have HDMI outs.. Get a different receiver
Old 04-24-2011, 02:47 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Yep, I think the issue is HD. To my knowledge the SD receivers have coax outputs but not the HD DVRs. Are you wanting HD in the coach?

rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 04:08 PM   #8
paz

We have an R-22 DirecTV SD receiver (DVR), and it has no coax output. If you want coax, you will need an RF converter (converts composite to coax) as several people have said. Some Walmarts carry RF converters, or try Radio Shack or Best Buy.
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 05:39 PM   #9

Direct tv does not like you mirror imaging tv's. Good luck on support, maybe easier to add another box.
Old 04-24-2011, 05:52 PM   #10

I tried a RF converter from Walmart (Philips) and had problems (static sound) when changing channels on the sat receiver. Switched to a converter from Radio Shack and all is well.

FWIW I use the HDMI out for the front tv and coax for the rear via the converter. The signals are slightly out of sync but we rarely watch both at the same time.
Old 04-25-2011, 09:44 AM   #11

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tha_Rooster View Post
Direct tv does not like you mirror imaging tv's. Good luck on support, maybe easier to add another box.
I can't speak to HD, but Direct likely could not care less if you parallel TV sets. My box (not HD) has coax as well as composite. My RV has a switch box that does the job directly. I did, however get a second box from the house (I have 5 total) and run it on the rear TV.

BTW, I have never had a problem with Direct phone support. That is over 8 years and, as I said, 5 boxes and DNS. Courteous and fast.

YMMV

2002 Itasca Suncruiser - WH Chassis - 35U - 2006 Jeep Liberty
hamguy is offline   Reply With Quote