Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-27-2010, 02:43 PM   #1

No Local Channels on DTV

I have a Kingdome Satellite in motion system. All the DTV channels work ok but I do not have my local channels it works ok in the house but not in the MH for local channels. Would anyone have any suggestion what is wrong

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-27-2010, 04:16 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
I had the same problem, so I called Direct TV and found out that I would only be able to get local channels, when at home, because that's where my DTV is addressed. Also, when I'm on the road, I should use my "BatWing" antenna, for local channels. They did tell me that I had to call them each time I changed locations and give them my ZIP code location, to even get any good channels at all! Sat TV is sooooo frustrating! I alway say that "it shouldn't be so hard"! Most of the time, when I called DTV, they say that very few techs know much about operation in motorhomes! Roland

Old 08-27-2010, 04:23 PM   #3

Two things could cause this.
Don't know which Kingdome you have but most locals are on 119 sat and regular programing is on 101. You have to be able to get both.
If you are more than about 200 miles from home you will not get locals because the signal is beamed to a specific location.
garym114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 08:21 PM   #4

I have a Kingdome 9762-LP and I am at home, I got it to show them one time my clicking on track on the controller. But it will not show them again.
Old 08-28-2010, 05:46 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
The local channels are spot beamed and they do not work much beyond 100 to 150 miles from your home location. And like noted, they are usually on a separate satellite from the other channels.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|Full-Time! - 2012 6.7L Ford Crew Cab Dually -2013 HitchHiker Champagne 38RLRSB - Travel with one Miniature Schnauzer, one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 06:19 AM   #6

local

if you are using dish you can call them and change your address to whatever location you are in. It won't change your billing at all but will allow you to get local channels where you are. You still need to be able to get 2 satallites which isn't always an easy thing.
Old 08-28-2010, 06:41 AM   #7

Damon Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
I purchase a home satulite dish just like the one on our home, took out the reciever from my daughters room and went out side, in this reciever had a guide that beeps for a signal, faster the beeps the better the signal, but i don't know if you all would have this with the dome
Old 08-28-2010, 07:43 AM   #8
Community Moderator

The problem can't be the spot beam of local channels since he's at home already and if I read the OP correctly, he's using DirecTv and not Dish.

When you do your set up in the MH how do your signals look on 119 and 101? I'm thinking it has to be something causing you not to get 119.

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 09:56 AM   #9

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXiceman View Post
The local channels are spot beamed and they do not work much beyond 100 to 150 miles from your home location. And like noted, they are usually on a separate satellite from the other channels.

Ken
Not with Direct TV. I don't know about Dish TV. All the stations are on one satellite.

As you can see, they are both DTV, so I don't know which one the OP has.

BTW, I don't know if people know that many radio stations live stream shows on I'net. I keep up with Phoenix news by tuning into my favorite News/Talk streaming audio. Just punch in the call letters of your favorite home town station and see if they stream.

2002 Itasca Suncruiser - WH Chassis - 35U - 2006 Jeep Liberty
hamguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 11:17 AM   #10
Community Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamguy View Post
Not with Direct TV. I don't know about Dish TV. All the stations are on one satellite.

As you can see, they are both DTV, so I don't know which one the OP has.

BTW, I don't know if people know that many radio stations live stream shows on I'net. I keep up with Phoenix news by tuning into my favorite News/Talk streaming audio. Just punch in the call letters of your favorite home town station and see if they stream.
Hi Hamguy... can you please explain? Are you saying DirecTv doesn't spot beam local channels or that locals just aren't on a seperate satellite? If they put both locals and other channels on the same satellite do they handle their control of locals by just putting them on their own transponders, or???

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
Old 08-29-2010, 12:10 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
DirecTV (and Dish, for that matter) do both. They spot beam the locals, AND the locals are often on a different satellite than the main programming. For DirecTV, the main (non-HD) programming is on 101, but many of the locals are on 119.

So you have two possible issues to deal with. First, are you in the spot beam for "your" locals. Second, is your dome correctly switching to the alternate satellite.

joe
Old 08-29-2010, 12:38 PM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by gripper View Post
They did tell me that I had to call them each time I changed locations and give them my ZIP code location, to even get any good channels at all!
That is absolutely false! There is NO REASON to call DirecTV AT ALL when you are traveling. You will lose your "locals" once you travel out of their spot beam, but all other programming will be the same. The only thing you'll need your Zip Code for (or GPS coordinates) is to input them in the proper place in the menu so that you get the coordinates for aiming your dish (assuming you have a portable dish...if you have an automatic dish, then this step isn't necessary).
Old 08-29-2010, 12:43 PM   #13
Community Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by LindaH View Post
That is absolutely false! There is NO REASON to call DirecTV AT ALL when you are traveling. You will lose your "locals" once you travel out of their spot beam, but all other programming will be the same. The only thing you'll need your Zip Code for (or GPS coordinates) is to input them in the proper place in the menu so that you get the coordinates for aiming your dish (assuming you have a portable dish...if you have an automatic dish, then this step isn't necessary).
Hi Linda... I've never tried it myself but have read several posts from people who claim to call and change their "service address" when they arrive at a new site. Is this something that DTV used to offer but quit doing?

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
Old 08-30-2010, 10:41 AM   #14

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickO View Post
Hi Hamguy... can you please explain? Are you saying DirecTv doesn't spot beam local channels or that locals just aren't on a seperate satellite? If they put both locals and other channels on the same satellite do they handle their control of locals by just putting them on their own transponders, or???
They are spot beamed and they are on sat 101 as are the regular channels.

2002 Itasca Suncruiser - WH Chassis - 35U - 2006 Jeep Liberty
hamguy is offline   Reply With Quote