Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-26-2016, 07:47 PM   #1

No Locals on DISH Network Twice on this Trip

In the past week I have had trouble with Dish Network sending me local channels when I use chat, or call to change my service address. The first time was in Baileyton,TN and now in Oklahoma City, OK. Each time after repeated receiver cycles and check switch runs the locals never loaded. In between on stops in Red Bay, Southhaven MS, and Little Rock there was no problem getting the locals to reset using the same chat routine. Every time I've had a problem the signal strength showed good in the mid 30"s+ on the signal strength screen on all three Eastern Arc Satellites. The Dish Advanced Technical reps run me through the same drill each time with the same results, NO LOCALS. They then claim it's an antenna problem and to contact DISH Outdoors (Pace Communications) who refer me to Winegard when I mention I have a Winegard Roadtrip Mission antenna. Of course Winegard says it's not our problem since you are receiving all other channels on all three satellites, it's a DISH Network problem.

Anyone have the same experience, and find a remedy??
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-26-2016, 09:51 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: MotherLoad foothills approx.60 m.s east of Sacramento
I have changed locals many, many times with no problem. I always insist on an RV tech. I have a 5 yr old TailGater.
Full time since Nov 2012 RVM#41 Gary and Marian Hill 2001 Monaco Dynasty Jack 38' 370 hp ....If it ain't broke I can still fix it.
Like putting shoes on an octopuss, so are the days of our lives....
adamfolger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 11:44 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Camarillo, CA ---Back in the house after 7 yrs fulltiming
Maybe you're getting to far West for the Eastern arc sats. What would the elevation angle be for the lowest of the 3 sats? If it's in the 20 or 30 deg range (or lower) you may have problems with trees. I've found that my 722 DVR will give me false signal levels and can fool you big time as to what's going on.

I have the Western arc lnb on Trav'ler. I spent some time at various sites around South Tahoe where the trees are quite high. Even tho there were large gaps in the trees, I could only get 2 of 3 sats at one time. Me and my Dish box were going crazy.
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic23522_1.gif]
Duner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 12:06 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner

And wonder if locals like Oklahoma City would even be on eastern arc birds
Also wonder how your Roadtrip Mission works on eastern arc, since Winegard lists only western arc for that antenna:
http://www.winegard.com/mission/roadtrip-tech-specs

Anyway, at halfway between 98 and 99 degrees longitude, being in Oaklahoma City is much closer to the western arc (110, 119, 129) than easter arc (61.5, 72.7, 77 degrees)...suggest changing to western arc at or before crossing the Mississippi.

Best luck
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 04:40 AM   #5

While my DISH HD tripod antenna and KingTailgater2 are both on Western Arc satellites(110,119,120), your programming situation should be similar:

I don't think that this is an issue of whether you are locked into the satellites, but rather that either the DISH customer service did NOT actually update your SERVICE ADDRESS(they may have only changed your Billing Address accidentally), or that the LOCAL STATIONS spot beam is on channels/Satellite that you are not looking at...

A)I've chatted with DISH many, many times, and mostly they do what they say. But, I've had several times, with aggravation, that I've had to Chat AGAIN since the first person never did the update. You should not have to rescan/reset your receiver for this change to happen, it takes place automatically within 2 to 15 minutes - you should see your lower 'LOCAL' channel numbers turn RED as soon as the DISH update starts to happen.

B)The lower number channels, such as 2 through 70, are typically the LOCAL CHANNEL numbers, BUT, unless you are looking at your MY CHANNELS list, you may be missing them. In SOME markets(metro locations) the channels are in SD, so they may be on one satellite(such as 119) for that area, but in other markets they may all be in HD, which might be on another satellite(such as 129).
In some cases, while I have local channels saved in my FAVORITES list, when the update happens none of the NEW local channels show since they are not also saved in FAVORITES, and therefore I might think that I don't have any. Use the MY CHANNELS list to see all channels that are available after the update.
MisterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2016, 01:11 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
lllkrob, Oklahoma City SD locals are on 110 and HD locals are on 129,
grtharris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2016, 02:08 PM   #7

Ford Super Duty Owner
Next time you talk to them, ask about the western arc. 110, 119, and 129. We live in NW Ohio and use the west birds.
Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2016, 10:47 AM   #8

I would bet that you got one of the MANY clueless people at Dish. Better that 1/2 the times I change locals (and I know they are available) they don't do it correctly and I have to call or chat again. They also have a very bad habit of then also changing the billing address to the service address.
I was recently told by a supposed supv. that they are changing procedures in their computer software to make these changes easier for their clueless CS reps.
az99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2016, 11:02 AM   #9

We just got back from 3 months on the road, and changed local spot every week to 10 days or so. For the first time, the changes went fast and I never had to recontact them.
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2016, 11:11 AM   #10

I checked the satellites for Oklahoma OK market and the SD Locals channels are on 110 and the HD Locals are on 129. The same is true for the Tri-Cities, VA market.

Dish has started to pull the duplicates Locals from opposite Arc. I.e. if the Locals are on the WA, then the SD Locals that used to be on the EA are gone,

This is a real pain for Trav'ler users as the WA only multi-satellite mode means no Locals when in the EA region.
Lots of RV Information at www.dmbruss.com
Dale & Mark Bruss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2016, 11:11 AM   #11

I know you're probably smarter than me... but... check to see which "guide" you have..

I accidentally changed my guide setting to "my HD channels" and I couldn't get locals to show up in my guide.. I even argued with the people at Dish about this... in my situation, you need to have the "all channels" guide selected..

Just a silly suggestion !!
oakcreekeric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2016, 11:41 AM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Camarillo, CA ---Back in the house after 7 yrs fulltiming
I've traveled 30,000+ miles to all 4 corners of the country over 3 yrs and changed locals every 2-3 weeks. I use Dish "chat" exclusively only have a problem once. All the other times it's smooth and easy using my standard script, cut-n-paste the new service address.

Happy Trails,
Bill
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic23522_1.gif]
Duner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2016, 11:44 AM   #13

The only OK locals I see on eastern arc is Ada, and Lawton. Probably need western arc.

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left
powderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2016, 06:52 PM   #14

When we hit Lake Charles, LA we don't get locals on our western arc dish because all the locals are on 61.6

http://www.satelliteguys.us/thelist/...0Charles,%20LA
mjeffrey is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dish