Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-02-2016, 06:04 AM   #1

No OTA through Dish 211k

Could not get a definitive answer from Dish support on this. I'm sitting in a spot where my Wiengaurd Road Trip satellite will not get a signal (very wooded). I do however have good OTA reception through my roof antenna. My 211k has an OTA module and is connected to my roof antenna. I have used it to download local channels into my Dish guide many times in the past. So, here is my question. Shouldn't I be able to view local channels through the 211k even though I have no satellite signal? Isn't this function running through the 211 only?
Indy54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-02-2016, 07:21 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I have not been able to do this without partial satellite access. I agree that it would be a nice feature to do this.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
unw1red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 07:35 AM   #3

no, unfortunately you would need a Sat signal from at least one satellite in order to also bring in Antenna channels to your Guide - sorry : /
MisterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 08:15 AM   #4

Wonder why Dish couldn't tell me this.. should have posted here first. I'll run the point and test dish function and see if I can get a satellite
Old 10-02-2016, 08:26 AM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Dish support is, well, often not very knowledgeable. They know the common stuff only. They do have some folks more capable, but hard to find or get to them.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 10:46 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy54 View Post
Wonder why Dish couldn't tell me this.. should have posted here first. I'll run the point and test dish function and see if I can get a satellite

It's very simple, DISH tech support is designed to deal with problems on fixed ground based open face antenna installations. That comprises 99.9% of their calls. They know next to nothing about RV type installations, don't bother calling them. If your receiver is communicating with your TV, forget DISH for help with anything else.
Old 10-02-2016, 11:52 AM   #7

Workhorse Chassis Owner
You would have probably gotten an answer if you had called Winegard support.
kennersonf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 02:33 PM   #8

I managed to run the "point dish"/"test dish" function. When complete it warned me that I had limited access but I accepted the changes. I am now locked on sat 110 and get many channels in SD..terrible. I did get the guide which allowed me to scan for OTA stations. These stations come in crystal clear through the mini-state 5ms9000 on the TV input. But the scan function via the Dish system only picked up one channel! Is the mini-state disc type roof antenna a poor unit?
Old 10-02-2016, 06:38 PM   #9

probably not, since you previously stated:

"... I have used it to download local channels into my Dish guide many times in the past. "
MisterT is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dish