Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-21-2014, 11:18 AM   #1

No TV Signal from Antenna

Hi
I read Mitchyb's post, but didn't want to hijack it with my (additional) questions.

Problem: I am unable to view TV when "hooked" to Antenna.

Yesterday, I:
*checked that the incoming antenna coax was correctly attached to our Wingard VS-0604/VS6412 Switch.
*I checked to see that the Winegard switch was powered up.
*I disconnected the incoming coax from the switch and coupled it directly with the coax input to TV
Neither of these actions resulted in video signal to TV.
Having read others' posts, reference is made to an antenna amplifier/booster. I see no other "switches" other than the power switch on the Winegard. Am I missing something? Is there another way I can test the integrity of the circuit between antenna and Switch, and/or TV set?
Thanks in advance for your assistance.
Rudy
ps. I can view cable inputs to both Front and Bedroom TVs. I didn't test the Satellite signals yesterday, but have been able to view that in past.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-21-2014, 11:53 AM   #2

Not to state the obvious but have you switched the input to OTA antenna on your TV menu.
hondavalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 12:33 PM   #3

Yes I did --------forgot to mention that as "one of the steps"
Thanks
Old 05-21-2014, 12:48 PM   #4
Community Moderator

after connected to tv, you would need to scan it on tv (most tvs have the menu - automatic programs - scan). when finished, go to source/input, select tv, change the channel on remote.
CountryFit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 01:07 PM   #5

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
For most RV.s Switch on Wall Plate (If you have a box of many buttons switfch IT on and select Antenna) and raise antenna

Turn ON TV, and go to menu, and make sure it is set to Over The Air/Antenna. Do a channel scan.

Pick a channel and display the signal strength (If possible, not all TV's offer that option) Turn antenna to peak.

Any time you pick a channel do this.

Since I run multiple receivers I peak for best comprimise and lock it there.
Old 05-21-2014, 01:10 PM   #6

Hi Rudy!

The antenna booster/amplifier is located in the antenna head; and is powered by 12 volts being sent up the coax from the power switch to the antenna amplifiers. If you have some sort of splitter/coupler added between the power switch and the antenna, the antenna won't work.

Check the coax where it plugs into the antenna on the roof for 12 VDC. If you have supply voltage and no signal, then the rooftop amplifier is probably fried. I had to replace my antenna head once. I only clued in when everyone else in the campground had their antenna up and watching TV, while we were only getting snow.

BTW: You are trying to connect to a digital and not analogue TV??
Old 05-21-2014, 01:13 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2006camelot View Post
Having read others' posts, reference is made to an antenna amplifier/booster. I see no other "switches" other than the power switch on the Winegard.
The 'power' switch on the Winegard panel actually does two things: it switches power to the antenna RF amp on and also selects whether the antenna or external cable input is delivered to the output (TV) connector. With the power switch 'on' the RF amplifier is powered and the TV jack is connected to the antenna, and with the power switch 'off' the amp is powered off and the TV jack is connected to the external (usually park cable) input.
smiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 01:14 PM   #8

The selector switch, when turned on, provides 12 volts to the antenna on top of the roof where the amp is located. The voltage is sent using the solid wire that is inside the coax cable. Turn on the selector switch and unhook the coax at the antenna and verify you have 12 volts DC up to the antenna head. If you have voltage, you may need to replace your antenna which is very easy to do. Been there, done that! Good luck.

Oops... Stan beat me to it!
Old 05-21-2014, 07:52 PM   #9

Thanks for all of your inputs.
I think Stan, SMiller, Gearhead offer suggestions I need to pursue; I'll test for presence of 12VDC at antenna as a first step. Once I have signal at the powered Winegard Switch, "the rest is easy" i.e. inputing source/scanning for channels etc.
Again -------- thanks to all.
Old 05-21-2014, 08:03 PM   #10

Rudy, when you switch the antenna switch on, does the red LED come on??

I seem to vaguely recall that the antenna amp power supply implements a limited-current power supply, i.e. the LED will not light if there is a short circuit, in the system; which serves as a useful diagnostic tool.
Old 05-21-2014, 08:47 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Do you use or need a digital converter box?

Mike
Old 05-22-2014, 12:31 AM   #12

Yes Stan, I observed a red light when powered up.
My Coach is stored elsewhere; will hopefully get back there in a day or two to do further checking of 12VDC at antenna. I was thinking I should also be able to check the presence of voltage at the switch connector?? Center of connector +, and threaded portion negative????
Thanks for checking back.
Old 05-22-2014, 12:33 AM   #13

No Mike.
Simply antenna coax to rear of Winegard Switch; then coax out to digital TV set.
Thanks
Old 05-22-2014, 12:55 AM   #14

Not sure if this will help . But may. When I looked at mine the older owner had disconnected one of my leads. I never knew that with the boost off, that the system switched over to camp site cable hook up. Good luck
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	New Install.jpg
Views:	802
Size:	105.5 KB
ID:	63560   Click image for larger version

Name:	Testing System.jpg
Views:	349
Size:	107.8 KB
ID:	63561  

Click image for larger version

Name:	TV booster lay out.jpg