Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-16-2012, 10:05 AM   #1

Angry Norcold Recall part #3

We have one of the Norcold refrigerators that was on recall. We had our 1st replacement part in November 2011. We went on our trip with no problem then in January 2012 we got our motorhome out of storage for another trip and low and behold the red light was solid on the replacement part. Called Norcold they said I had to take it back to the dealer who replaced it have them call it in and they would ship me a new one. Well being we were leaving on our trip the next day the dealership had an extra part and put it in so we could still go on our trip. We came back from that trip with no problems. Well guess what we went to pick it up from storage last night for a trip on Friday and the red light was on again. I have called all over town and no one has that part available. I have learned quite of new information though about Norcold and their recall this morning. A lot of RV service companies will not install these anymore because once they are installed Norcold will not take responsibility if something happens to your motorhome the blame gets put back on the technician. Therefore a lot of repair services will not install them anymore. Here is another one which makes sense in our case. One technician says these new replacement parts are not water proof therefore if they get wet they short out. This technician had called Norcold to make a suggestion to make them water proof and they said no.

This of course would make since in our case because when we get back from a trip we always wash it. Then when we are ready for our next trip that is when we find the red light on. So I seriously believe this could be the cause. Which means we can't wash our RV or we will have to go the extra mile to cover the vent every time?

My question to any of you is there a lawyer out there for people like us who have continuing issues with this recall? I don't think I should have to go out and buy a new refrigerator just because they can't get the right
southwestrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-16-2012, 04:19 PM   #2

It's really disheartening to hear of all the problems folks are having with their Norcold units. The 1200LRIM in out 2000 coach is still working great---so far

I did however replace the 2 thermostatically controlled cooling fans on back coils twice since we've had it and the thermistor once, but I considered that normal based on the age and usage.

Had both recalls done, but probably could have gotten by without them. Difficult to understand why there's so many with major problems.

Best of luck and safe travels

2000 Residency 3790 v10 w/tags 5 Star tune & Banks system Suzuki XL7 toad
LVJ58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 06:04 PM   #3

I'm not much on government intervention but these Norcold 1200 units seem to be not only a target of the consumer protection agency but lawyers in a class action suite. I have one & just don't trust it.
Old 02-28-2012, 06:42 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
I have one of the 1200 Norcolds, it works great,[ hope it lasts]
rebel
rebelone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 10:30 PM   #5

I distrusted mine enough that I just had it replaced with a residential frig. Even though it was working fine (for an RV fridge).
firedoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 05:25 AM   #6
paz

Quote:
Originally Posted by firedoc View Post
I distrusted mine enough that I just had it replaced with a residential frig. Even though it was working fine (for an RV fridge).
Ditto. Just finished installing a Samsung RF197, and we're very pleased with the results. For the first time in almost 7 years, we now have hard ice cream and more ice cubes than we can possibly use.
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 03:57 PM   #7

Can anyone briefly outline what is involved in trading out the Norcold 1200 for the Samsung? Someone once told me you need a pure sine wave inverter. Is that true or is a modified sine wave inverter OK?
asodergren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 04:17 PM   #8
paz

Quote:
Originally Posted by asodergren View Post
Can anyone briefly outline what is involved in trading out the Norcold 1200 for the Samsung? Someone once told me you need a pure sine wave inverter. Is that true or is a modified sine wave inverter OK?
The Samsung will run on a MSW inverter. Reportedly, the Samsung internals run on DC. The "12V DC" printed on the cooling fan on our Samsung would seem to confirm that. The rectifier in the fridge that converts AC to DC apparently isn't too fussy about the wave form of the AC.

There have been numerous iRV2 members over on the Monaco forum that have switched out their Norcolds for a Samsung. Do a search for RF197. Lots of good descriptions and pics.

The downside to the Samsung is it is more than 6" taller than the Norcold. You need enough space above and/or below to make the opening much taller. The Samsung worked for us because there was a drawer below. The height can be a problem for those with a furnace or electrical panel below. Width and depth of the Samsung are almost identical to the Norcold.
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 04:57 PM   #9

Some pictures but probably not very instruuctional of our new Samsung 197 (1 day new!) So far so good. Immediately holding 38 degrees in refrig and -2 in freezer and already a goodly amount of ice. Very quiet. Never hear it run!
or link: Flickr: firedoc2's Photostream
firedoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 05:18 PM   #10

Thanks for the info. I do have a drawer below so, it looks like an option for me. After one call to Norcold "customer service" I can tell you I don't want anything that they make. Any company that just puts you off to their local dealer for any and all questions doesn't deserve to be in business IMHO.
Old 02-29-2012, 05:22 PM   #11

Firedog-it looks like it worked out perfectly for you. My drawer is a bit taller so, I would have to do some extra woodwork to make it work. Thanks for the pictures.
Old 02-29-2012, 05:50 PM   #12
JC2

Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by asodergren View Post
Thanks for the info. I do have a drawer below so, it looks like an option for me. After one call to Norcold "customer service" I can tell you I don't want anything that they make. Any company that just puts you off to their local dealer for any and all questions doesn't deserve to be in business IMHO.
I whole heartedly agree. I think it's just a matter of time until disappear as their credibility is gone.
JC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 06:03 PM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I noticed most of the newer Class A motorhomes at the Chicago RV show had residential fridges in them. And not all were the high-end coaches. That really says something about the lack of confidence in Norcold.
baraff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 06:12 PM   #14
Community Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by baraff
I noticed most of the newer Class A motorhomes at the Chicago RV show had residential fridges in them. And not all were the high-end coaches. That really says something about the lack of confidence in Norcold.
I noticed the same at the Tampa Super Show and a lot of mfg. also went to Dometic if not residential. Norcold was sparse in the models I looked at.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
norcold, recall