Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-31-2015, 09:33 PM   #1

Now here's a question on data packages-

Now here's a question-
Why do we quietly go along with a company that is selling us data packages but then allowing them to dictate what it will cost us to use that data that we just bought and paid for on each device that we already own?

What right do they have to tell us that if we want to use the data that we bought we have to pay them so much per device for the privilege of using that data on our own devices?

Say the electric company wanted to sell us 1 megawatt of electricity and then said that we would have to pay $5 extra for each light bulb we used that electricity on!
Anyone see a problem here?
Cliffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-31-2015, 09:51 PM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Not exactly sure what your issue is.
With Verizon, I do pay $60 for a 6GB plan, but I also pay $20/month for each phone line.

There is a difference between the phone service and the data service.
You can have a cell phone without a data package.

Now I can turn my phone into a hotspot, and my laptop, PC and even my wife's cell phone can use that data without me paying any more (up until the 6GB limit)

I think some of the older contracts were that way, but from what I see, most carriers are getting away from that....AND no longer subsidizing the cell phone purchase. So after 2 yrs, my new phone is paid off, and my bill drops by $24.

Regards,

Dan
Old 09-01-2015, 09:53 AM   #3

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Verizon currently has a plan where you pay 80 bucks for data then 10 dollars per phone to use it.

The O/P is upset that he has to buy the data, then buy the transport as well.. Actually this is very common and standard practice.. Most companies charge 90 for the data plus one phone then 10 dollars per line for the 2nd, 3rd and so on phone..

Fact is.. Each additional phone (OR OTHER DEVICE) means Verizon has to assign resources to work that device, Assign it a number and so on, This costs, about 10/2.5 so it's 10 bucks to you. It is actually fair.

And before anyone argues with me... Remember I really do not like Verizon at all..... I think they DO rip you off every chance and my experience with their cuss-some-more service dept lead me to re-name it to what I just typed.. I actually sent them a bill once for fixing their lack of service.. Of course they never paid.
Old 09-01-2015, 11:09 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffy View Post
Why do we quietly go along with a company that is selling us data packages but then allowing them to dictate what it will cost us to use that data that we just bought and paid for on each device that we already own?
So what time do you want to storm the castle?
TechWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 11:29 AM   #5

I just bought a Verizon mobile hot spot from Walmart for $43. You purchase the data directly from Verizon on the prepaid data plan (3GB $60. or 10GB $90.) and can use it on any device you choose to connect with no extra charges for each device. I have been very happy with the speed and ease of using the Verizon ellipsis Jetpack !

Jim Durley
2004 ALPINE 40 MDTS
Jim Durley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 07:04 AM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
Verizon currently has a plan where you pay 80 bucks for data then 10 dollars per phone to use it.

The O/P is upset that he has to buy the data, then buy the transport as well.. Actually this is very common and standard practice.. Most companies charge 90 for the data plus one phone then 10 dollars per line for the 2nd, 3rd and so on phone..

Fact is.. Each additional phone (OR OTHER DEVICE) means Verizon has to assign resources to work that device, Assign it a number and so on, This costs, about 10/2.5 so it's 10 bucks to you. It is actually fair.

And before anyone argues with me... Remember I really do not like Verizon at all..... I think they DO rip you off every chance and my experience with their cuss-some-more service dept lead me to re-name it to what I just typed.. I actually sent them a bill once for fixing their lack of service.. Of course they never paid.
I dont think verizon will just sell you a data plan. You must have cell phone service with them first. Their primary business is wireless phone service. So they split the charges for each feature.

I would not like it if i had to pay for a plan that included data if I had a old style flip phone which only made calls.

The data package is a add on feature. It is more like ordering options when buying a new car, you have to get the car first.

Regards,
Dan
Old 09-03-2015, 10:14 PM   #7

OK, I'm a luddite and a dinosaur. I liked dial phones. All this new stuff drives me crazy.
I tried a smart phone. Neither my wife or I liked it. We didn't use it much and the phone portion was only so-so. Dumped it got 2 basic phones (no data) and a Verizon MIFI w/3 gigs for the lap top and tablet. So far that has been a winner. Don't like dealing with Verizon but they are the only ones that "work" where we live. Our service sucks and they say "too bad, your in a vacation area and we don't care". Spent 2 1/2 hrs at the Verizon company store just getting these last phones straightened out. The salesman we got was rude and we almost walked out but like I said they are the only ones where we live. On the good side, by changing things around we did save $35/month.
Cliffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 08:33 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpinvidic View Post
I dont think verizon will just sell you a data plan. You must have cell phone service with them first. Their primary business is wireless phone service. So they split the charges for each feature.
I have a Verizon data plan only - no phone. Works on my own MIFI hotspot and can hook up to 10 devices.
Ret Syntst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 04:40 PM   #9

Country Coach Owners Club
ATT provides us the ability to share the data plan between our two smart phones and we can carry over unused data from one month to the following month. (But, we cannot carryover the unused carryover from the prior month.)

The second phone line is $10 per month plus the cost of the phone.

Sounds reasonable in concept to me....
1995 38' CC Magna #5280 **** Sold after 21 years of enjoyment.
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 09:08 AM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ret Syntst View Post
I have a Verizon data plan only - no phone. Works on my own MIFI hotspot and can hook up to 10 devices.
OK...but I am curious about your bill, do they show some kind of "connection Charge"....along the lines of giving your device a phone number?

I wonder if you could get a second device and "share" that data plan.

Thanks for the update...learned something new today.

Dan
Old 09-09-2015, 03:00 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpinvidic View Post
OK...but I am curious about your bill, do they show some kind of "connection Charge"....along the lines of giving your device a phone number?

I wonder if you could get a second device and "share" that data plan.

Thanks for the update...learned something new today.

Dan
There's no connection charge showing. There is a telephone number because that's how the MIFI works. Basically it's a phone that you can't call out on. The data transfers happen over the wireless phone towers. I can hook up to 10 devices (PC's, laptops etc..) to the unit and share the data - they have to be within range (100') of the MIFI. A phones wifi can connect to the device for surfing the net but you can't make phone calls. It's a local hotspot.
Ret Syntst is offline   Reply With Quote