RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-07-2019, 04:46 AM   #183

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoTatII View Post
Seems this leaked document by KING Dome satellite systems corroborates the KVH one as to what will eventually happen to Ku 101w....
Knew they would never make the announced timeframe. So...existing receivers and antennas will continue to work until at least December of 2020! Oops, April 2019 goes by the boards. Upgrade to MPEG-4 capable receivers by then and you will get HD on national channels from your KU dish.

Won't even see any HD on 101 until 2021!!!! My current receivers are dying (only one left out of 4) guess I need to pay them to move up to 24's...

Sbrownstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-07-2019, 09:18 AM   #184
WiFiRanger Ambassador

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoTatII View Post
Seems this leaked document by KING Dome satellite systems corroborates the KVH one as to what will eventually happen to Ku 101w.

https://kingconnect.com/wp-content/u...NG_03.2019.pdf
Excellent info, thanks for posting!

Joel (AKA docj)

docj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2019, 09:30 AM   #185

I received this from King. Don't think its a leak.
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture%2B_2019-04-05-13-13-35.jpeg
Views:	82
Size:	84.2 KB
ID:	241057
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 06:49 PM   #186

Current setup

I have a rm-dm46 dual lnb crank up dish going to a 3x4 multiswitch then to 3 h24 receivers with diplexers. My question is is my current setup going to be fine after the changeover or will I need to change over to a swm8 fallowed by a MSPLIT8R1-03 spliter into diplexers for each tv run.
davehill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 08:46 PM   #187
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by davehill View Post
I have a rm-dm46 dual lnb crank up dish going to a 3x4 multiswitch then to 3 h24 receivers with diplexers. My question is is my current setup going to be fine after the changeover or will I need to change over to a swm8 fallowed by a MSPLIT8R1-03 spliter into diplexers for each tv run.
Your current system should be fine, davehill.
winegard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2019, 08:48 PM   #188

I know this has all been beat to death and I've read through and asked many questions along the way BUT....a friend was cleaning out his garage and he came across an older HR22-100 DVR. Is this Receiver compatible with a Round dish? Still talking just the RV now, the house is already set for HD but MH currently has two Round dish's(my real old Datron single LNB and Dual LNB in motion King Dome). This receiver still has the converters attached to the inputs on the rear panel.

If it is usable....what else would be required to receive the HD signal from the 101 Sat when the change over occurs?
Old 06-30-2019, 08:12 AM   #189

Damon Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by acampingwewillgo View Post
a friend was cleaning out his garage and he came across an older HR22-100 DVR. Is this Receiver compatible with a Round dish? If it is usable....what else would be required to receive the HD signal from the 101 Sat when the change over occurs?
The simple answer is yes, with the right configuration. Search for my posts earlier in this thread for the details. With an 18" round dish you will have to use a B-band converter. The dish configuration had to be changed every time I moved the HR22 from house to coach and back, and took a ridiculous amount of time. See my post in message #26 in this thread. Some doubted my statement but notice they called my receiver an H22, not the HR22-100 I used in my system. The home system also had a Genie DVR and a couple of Mini Genies while the coach was set up for the HR22-100 only.

Eventually I upgraded my tri-pod mounted dish to a Slimline so I could get HD in my coach. This was accomplished be purchasing a Slimline installation package from a local DTV installer. This included a new dish with appropriate LNB, required power inserter and SWM multiswitch. The configuration of house and coach now matched so it became as simple as plug and play with each move.

The main thing to remember is that in either configuration the last thing to connect during the setup process is the power cord to the receiver. If you ignore this one step it won't work!

As for your domes working as I described, I don't know. The HR22-100 should still work if the change over ever happens. I won't worry about it anyway since I recently dropped DTV as my provider. If anyone is the SoCal area is in need of a DTV slimline dish, tripod, power inserter and SWM multiswitch you can have them. I will not ship!
Danlb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2019, 02:36 PM   #190
WiFiRanger Ambassador

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danlb View Post
The simple answer is yes, with the right configuration. Search for my posts earlier in this thread for the details. With an 18" round dish you will have to use a B-band converter.
FWIW compared to a receiver such as the HR44 Genie, the HR22 is an antique. It runs very hot and its response time is pathetically slow. When you activate it DirecTV is going to charge you the same monthly fee as they would for a newer unit. Unless you plan on only using it for a short period of time I'm not sure it's worth the trouble.
Old 06-30-2019, 10:42 PM   #191

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danlb View Post
The simple answer is yes, with the right configuration. Search for my posts earlier in this thread for the details. With an 18" round dish you will have to use a B-band converter. The dish configuration had to be changed every time I moved the HR22 from house to coach and back, and took a ridiculous amount of time. See my post in message #26 in this thread. Some doubted my statement but notice they called my receiver an H22, not the HR22-100 I used in my system. The home system also had a Genie DVR and a couple of Mini Genies while the coach was set up for the HR22-100 only.

Eventually I upgraded my tri-pod mounted dish to a Slimline so I could get HD in my coach. This was accomplished be purchasing a Slimline installation package from a local DTV installer. This included a new dish with appropriate LNB, required power inserter and SWM multiswitch. The configuration of house and coach now matched so it became as simple as plug and play with each move.

The main thing to remember is that in either configuration the last thing to connect during the setup process is the power cord to the receiver. If you ignore this one step it won't work!

As for your domes working as I described, I don't know. The HR22-100 should still work if the change over ever happens. I won't worry about it anyway since I recently dropped DTV as my provider. If anyone is the SoCal area is in need of a DTV slimline dish, tripod, power inserter and SWM multiswitch you can have them. I will not ship!
Thanks for all that info, you too Docj…..I am in So Calif and might be interested in your offer? I'm in Ventura county. As it stands right now, I'm still so confused as to what is going to be the best choice for me, I know I should probably just wait and see when this all comes to the forefront. I guess the reason so much of this is foreign to me as I waited forever to switch my home receivers out to HD...I know, I lived in the stone age well in the HD revolution so these B band converters and Multi switches is still pretty much French to me. Once again, Thank You all.
Old 07-01-2019, 06:03 AM   #192

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
I know this has all been beat to death and I've read through and asked many questions along the way BUT....a friend was cleaning out his garage and he came across an older HR22-100 DVR. Is this Receiver compatible with a Round dish? Still talking just the RV now, the house is already set for HD but MH currently has two Round dish's(my real old Datron single LNB and Dual LNB in motion King Dome). This receiver still has the converters attached to the inputs on the rear panel.

If it is usable....what else would be required to receive the HD signal from the 101 Sat when the change over occurs?
Looks like it is compatible with MPEG 4 and MPEG 2, which is required after the switchover. It seems to be an SWM receiver and the original small dishes are not SWM but multiswitched. There is a reasonably inexpensive conversion available but I believe it means you will need two coax cables between the converter and the dish.

You might try to connect it up to your home system and see if there is a multiswitch 18" option in the setup menu.
Sbrownstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 02:21 PM   #193
WiFiRanger Ambassador

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sbrownstein View Post
Looks like it is compatible with MPEG 4 and MPEG 2, which is required after the switchover. It seems to be an SWM receiver and the original small dishes are not SWM but multiswitched. There is a reasonably inexpensive conversion available but I believe it means you will need two coax cables between the converter and the dish.
The HR22 supports both MultiSwitch and SWM modes. It does require 2 coax connections if you want to be able to record one channel while watching another. If you don't care about that, then one coax will work fine.
Old 07-02-2019, 07:57 PM   #194

Damon Owners Club
Quote:
Thanks for all that info, I am in So Calif and might be interested in your offer? I'm in Ventura county.
I wish I would have known that you live up here. I'm at Emma Wood right now and could have brought it up. From my sig you can see I'm about 100 miles from you when I'm not somewhere on the coast.

The above posts all contain correct info. The HR22-100 does support the 18" dish and multiswitch. It is agonizingly slow and takes about 20 minutes to boot up each time it is plugged in. And remember that a B-band converter is required.

If you are interested in my offer we can get together with your old HR22-100 and I can show you the steps to get it going. It will have to be activated through DTV before we can do that though. Just PM me if interested.
Danlb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2019, 06:42 PM   #195

Jayco Owners Club
Hello twinboat!

Thanks for posting this message! I am in the midst of my own research path and this info is so helpful!

Would you be so kind as to also supply the URL/address link provided in the message that King sent you regarding the sd/hd changes?

My thanks,

Lindsay
RayAndLin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 06:16 PM   #196

Early style crankup dish

Name:   early dish1.gif
Views: 32
Size:  10.3 KB
Can anyone tell me what years Winegard crank up dish had the 2 support arm that went from the base to the LNB arm

davehill is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
directv