RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-02-2018, 09:52 PM   #1

Official iRV2 Sponsor

"Official" announcement of DirecTV 2019 changes

Many of us have suspected that the satellite TV vendor community is privy to information about what DirecTV is planning on doing next year, but they're bound by confidentiality agreements not to disclose it.

The following is from a document that I came across on a satellite TV vendor's website. It is an internal memo to TracVision dealers explaining in detail what is going to happen. What's important for everyone here to understand is that the changes will make your dome system (both rooftop and portable) better than it is today rather than worse, as many had feared. In fact, your dome will be able to receive most of the major HD channels which will be broadcast from the 101 satellite on the KU band. Yes, DirecTV is ending MPEG2 SD but it is making it possible for you to receive HD broadcasts if you wish. (If you don't want to pay for HD, your receiver will probably be able to downconvert to SD).

Here are the key portions of the document:

DIRECTV/AT&T will be ending Standard Definition (SD) television transmissions from the 101W and 119W satellites in mid-2019. At that time, SD transmissions originating from the 101W orbital slot will be converted
to high-definition (HD) format, and SD transmissions originating from the 119W satellite will be terminated.

DIRECTV has not yet identified the specific channel listing that will be available from the 101W or 119W satellites once the transition is completed. KVH anticipates popular national channels such as CNN, ESPN,
etc., will be available in HD on 101W, but we have not received confirmation. DIRECTV is currently sendingout notifications to customers that DIRECTV equipment needs to be updated, and that they will upgrade the equipment for free to HD compatible components.

For those who are interested, here's a link to the entire document:
https://www.sats2go.com/images/DirecTV-chages-2019.pdf

docj is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-03-2018, 04:07 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Thank you for the update Doc, been a lot of discussion over the year's about this and I read all your post's, so could you make it easy for me and tell me where I stand when this happens? My equipment is as follows:
Winegard Carrout G2+ (roof mounted)
H24-100 HD receiver's

SD service in S&B and Coach.........What will happen to my service?

Thank you for you time Doc

Old 10-03-2018, 04:41 AM   #3

Ford Super Duty Owner
Doc's post is more of what we have been waiting for. KVH has been the "leakiest" provider, albeit to their retailers. Doc has constantly been perusing these communications and HD on 101 and 119 is what we hoped for.

Yep, you will have the option of getting HD signals from DirecTV, otherwise seems that you are good to go.
Sbrownstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 05:46 AM   #4

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by palehorse89 View Post
My equipment is as follows:
Winegard Carrout G2+ (roof mounted)
H24-100 HD receiver's

SD service in S&B and Coach.........What will happen to my service?
Scott has pretty much already answered this, but, after the 2019 changes, you will have the option of receiving HD in your RV from your existing equipment. Chances are that DirecTV will make you pay for HD access but if you choose to pay the fee you will be able to get HD from the 101 (and probably 119) satellites.

To be clear, there will still be HD channels on the 99 and 103 satellites that you won't be able to receive with your Carryout, but those will mostly be local channels and less popular national ones.

If you choose not to pay for HD, your receiver will probably be set to downconvert your signal to SD although I guess it's possible that everyone will get HD for free!! (And if you believe this I have a bridge in Brooklyn I'd like to sell you! )

Joel (AKA docj)
Old 10-03-2018, 06:03 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
I don't believe that the Winegard G2+ will receive HD from Direct TV?
http://www.winegard.com/carryout-g2

Satellite Providers
DISH: Standard & HD
DIRECTV: Standard
Bell TV: Standard & HD
Old 10-03-2018, 06:19 AM   #6

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Quote:
With all due respect, please re-read my earlier post.

Notice that the G2 can, at present, receive HD from Dish and Bell but not DirecTV. The reason for this is twofold--first that DirecTV HD is currently coming from two satellites that the G2 can't point to (99 and 103) and, second, because those signals are being broadcast at a frequency (Ka band) that the G2 cannot receive.

After the 2019 change, both of these issues will be resolved. The major HD channels will be shifted to the 101 satellite and will be broadcast in the Ku band which the G2 is designed to receive. Other HD channels will be broadcast from 119 which, I believe, the G2 can also receive (although not all domes can).
Old 10-03-2018, 06:25 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by docj View Post
With all due respect, please re-read my earlier post.

Notice that the G2 can, at present, receive HD from Dish and Bell but not DirecTV. The reason for this is twofold--first that DirecTV HD is currently coming from two satellites that the G2 can't point to (99 and 103) and, second, because those signals are being broadcast at a frequency (Ka band) that the G2 cannot receive.

After the 2019 change, both of these issues will be resolved. The major HD channels will be shifted to the 101 satellite and will be broadcast in the Ku band which the G2 is designed to receive. Other HD channels will be broadcast from 119 which, I believe, the G2 can also receive (although not all domes can).
Thanks Doc, I understand this post more clearly! Thank you for your time to reply
Old 10-03-2018, 06:29 AM   #8

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Winegard Carryout G2+ GM-6000 RV Satellite Antenna

Satellite Providers
DISH: Standard & HD
DIRECTV: Standard
Bell TV: Standard & HD
That is the current DirecTV, which does not provide any HD signals on 101 and 119, both of which the G2 can receive. It is an SWM system and with the correct HD receiver (H24 or H25) when DirecTV begins to broadcast HD using MPEG4 from these satellites...it will work and Winegard will update all their literature, which I am sure they are more than ready to do.
Old 10-03-2018, 11:55 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by docj View Post
. . . SD transmissions originating from the 101W orbital slot will be converted
to high-definition (HD) format, and SD transmissions originating from the 119W satellite will be terminated.

DIRECTV has not yet identified the specific channel listing that will be available from the 101W or 119W satellites once the transition is completed. KVH anticipates popular national channels such as CNN, ESPN, etc., will be available in HD on 101W, but we have not received confirmation
So folks with those single-LNB dishes would at least need an HD receiver?

And even then it looks like the channel lineup could be very limited, right?

BTW, nice catch, Joel.
Old 10-03-2018, 12:18 PM   #10

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by TechWriter View Post
So folks with those single-LNB dishes would at least need an HD receiver?

And even then it looks like the channel lineup could be very limited, right?

BTW, nice catch, Joel.
Yes, they need a new HD receiver, H24 or equivalent as it supports HD, Mpeg4 and the older, multiswitched lnbs. As far as limited channels, considering how many Mpeg2 channels are going away and how many local HD channels that are already on the 101 satellite's spot beams, I would bet that virtually all of the national channels will be there.
Old 10-03-2018, 12:41 PM   #11

Official iRV2 Sponsor

There's roughly a factor of 5 difference in the data compression achieved by MPEG4 compared to MPEG2. So even though the 101 satellite is carrying SD signals, the fact that they're MPEG2 means that replacing them with HD MPEG4 channels probably won't take all that much more data. So the 101 bird should have room for lots of HD channels.
Old 10-03-2018, 12:53 PM   #12

Doc, thanks for posting this. Hopefully it rolls out this way by Directv next year.

My RV system is a T4 roof motion and G2 carry out for tree interference at times. H24 DVR and H25 (both HD). Also needed a SWiM, power inserter and splitters of course. The SD picture is better than the D12's. Also routed the cable input (plumbing bay) and switched it so can be used as cable in, G2 in or stick house HD dish in. Another switch determines the roof versus others. For this to work, I have a separate SWiM setup for the G2. For the stick house HD dish, I bypass the RV mounted SWiM and get HD signal in the coach while in my garage. Directv provided the receivers free of charge, the dishes and remaining items I had to provide (as expected). The SWiM components are cheap on Amazon or Solid Signal. This was a do it yourself installation.

I would assume that Winegard either has or will be providing SWIM based LNB's in the future for the T4 and G2/3?
Old 10-03-2018, 01:42 PM   #13

Country Coach Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Thanks for the update!
Right now I have the 18" round SD dish at home and three of the old SD Direct receivers. On the MH I have the original MotoSat HD dish with RF Mogul controller. Just take the receivers from the house and plug them in. Also have the two HD receivers that were purchased through Country Coach. Checked with Direct and they have no record of the HD receivers. I know they were activated as the cards are still in them and are heat burned. Guess I'll see what Direct offers as far as replacing what Ivhave. One of the SD units is resetting itself and sometimes takes resetting half a dozen times before it'll come on and start working.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 01:45 PM   #14

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ron930cab View Post

I would assume that Winegard either has or will be providing SWIM based LNB's in the future for the T4 and G2/3?
You don't really need a replacement LNB, all you need to do is use the wiring diagram on page 3 of this document: http://www.winegard.com/help/images/a/a1/2452407.pdf

Most non-SWM dishes can be converted to SWM using the diagrams in that document. That's how I converted my Trav'ler SK3005 to SWM several years ago and now it appears that it, too, will survive the 2019 transition without a problem. The SK3005 Trav'ler can lock onto satellites at 101 and 119 even if 110 is no longer broadcasting. It's a bit slower if it has to do that, but it's not objectionably longer. That happened to us because of trees a couple of times this summer and it wasn't a big deal.

Tags
directv