Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-15-2013, 12:33 PM   #1

Ford Super Duty Owner
Older Winegard/DirecTV issue

I recently purchased a 1996 MH with a Winegard RD-4600 installed, the PO never used satellite, so no intel from the PO.
I have tried in vain to get my DirecTV SD DH11-100 to work with this antenna, I have verified the "house" cable, replaced the LNB with a known, working DirecTV LNB, follow the Winegard instructions to align using the details provided by the DirecTV receiver.

I am about to give up on this, what am I missing?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-15-2013, 01:08 PM   #2
Community Administrator

You need to program receiver to the dish. DTV can walk you through this. I'm assuming the receiver is active ( you have a DTV account )

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 03:25 PM   #3

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clifftall View Post
You need to program receiver to the dish. DTV can walk you through this. I'm assuming the receiver is active ( you have a DTV account )
Is there something beyond selecting the dish type and getting the specs to align?
I have been working with Winegard, outside of giving me the correct dish type that I need to select, they mentioned nothing else.

of course it has snowed all day long, no chance to work on it furhter today.
Old 04-18-2013, 09:12 AM   #4

Workhorse Chassis Owner
With my receiver menu (H24) when I select the new dish type (18 inch) I have to also change from SWM to Multi-switch in the box below.
Old 04-20-2013, 10:46 AM   #5

Send a message via Skype™ to larrymck
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clay L View Post
With my receiver menu (H24) when I select the new dish type (18 inch) I have to also change from SWM to Multi-switch in the box below.
Here is what I would do, buy the tailgater from Dish Networks, have them send you a VIP211k receiver, connect the tailgater outside to the your park cable connector, inside connect that to your receiver, output to tv. Now your in business without all the roof antenna issues. If a tree is in the way, you move the little tailgater antenna, not the motor home.
larrymck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 12:01 PM   #6
YC1

Not one twig or leaf in the way!!! Even a skinny palm tree can cause an issue for example.

YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 12:13 PM   #7
YC1

Be sure the original lnb is in place. Run your own cable from the dish connection through the window directly to your receiver. Select 18" round in the setup. Put the zip code in and find your compass heading. As mentioned previously if there is one twig in the way forget it. You need to be level as well or you will be chasing a ghost and my only stumble on the bird by accident. This dish is incredibly sensitive to the up down position. I mean move it one full turn or less and you are done. When you do get a satellite locked you will get the feel. Finding things the first time can be miserable. The right left turning is not nearly as critical and you can move it an inch or more each way. You are trying to focus on a pencil beam so keep that in mind. Look at the chart for the the elevation and turn estimates. Crank it up to 1/2 turn below their recommendation. Then turn it the dish right and left very slowly. You are looking for a hint on the tv screen or if you have it the beeping tone on the television. Back and fort about 6 inches to either side of where you should be pointed. Look at your home dish for a good start. Then turn the crank to raise the dish but turn it 1/4 turn at most. Repeat back and forth. If you rush you will never get a signal. The second you get a signal going right and left lock it down with little lock. Now raise or lower it very slowly for the best signal. Then unlock and go back right and left for the strongest signal. Once you have the right left maximized lock it down and use the elevation to max things out. Now you can start using the rv cables. When you crank the dish down count the number of cranks and write it down. Practice raising it from the down position to assure you have the exact amount of turns including partial turns.

YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 12:18 PM   #8

We have directv. We had to call tech support and give them the info on both the sat and box. The walked me through the box settings and how to set both my sat And box.
It took a few minutes to do it, no more problems!
HTFireMedic is offline   Reply With Quote