RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-04-2016, 07:29 PM   #1

Thor Owners Club
On Board Video Surveillance

I recently did a major upgrade on the video surveillance system in my home, and now I have this old analog system and 4 spare camera's just sitting there.

I am considering putting them on and in my 5th wheel, just because I can... Everything runs on 12VDC so that part would be a good fit. Set up with a wireless router (also have a few extra of those sitting there) I would be able to look at the video any time I am close enough to get the signal on my phone. No internet here, just local viewing.

I envision a camera on the roof rack or ladder of the 5er looking back, and being able to see what is behind me while moving down the road, including a second trailer I occasionally hook behind the 5er that I cannot see in the mirrors.

Someone must have done this already! I would love to hear stories, or better yet see pictures!

When I get this done in the next few months, I'll sure share the experience here.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-04-2016, 07:33 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
I don't have anything that fancy, but here is our system!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	GSD Gun.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	79.7 KB
ID:	126043  

Xeena(German Shepard)
brian-nicola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 07:36 PM   #3

Thor Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by brian-nicola View Post
I don't have anything that fancy, but here is our system!
Love it!

I am not too worried about theft anywhere I go... just playing!
Old 05-05-2016, 11:03 AM   #4

I work in the security system industry - are you sure the DVR and monitor are 12V? That's not very common. One thing I would worry about is the large amount of power that this is likely to draw, so when you are not hooked up to shore power or running on generator, it will drain your batteries very quickly. The other tough part is going to be running the wires, but that's an issue with any new system in an existing vehicle.
Old 05-05-2016, 12:10 PM   #5

Thor Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jason_sos View Post
I work in the security system industry - are you sure the DVR and monitor are 12V?
It is (12V)... as are the camera's. There will be no monitor involved, other than the TV in the 5th wheel that I will feed with the composite video output on the DVR. (RCA Plug).

My 5'er has a luggage rack on the roof. Inches from one end of the rack is the refrigerator vent. That will get me into the kitchen cabinets in the rear of the 5'er. From there I can get into the belly through the door to access the power slide out mechanism and get to the cabinet where the TV and Stereo are located. There is a false shelf in the bottom of that cabinet that will be a perfect spot for the DVR. I am pretty fussy about exposed wires... I like everything neat and tidy, so it will take me a while to get it all in place and working.

We have a camping trip planned in July where my wife has us in the same state park for 7 days! I am going to run out of trees and waterfalls to look at, so that may be the time when I work on this install for something else to do! Don't ever seem to get time for stuff like this when I am at home and working.

I promise to post pictures if / when I get this done!