Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-04-2013, 06:38 PM   #1

OTA Antenna?

What type/brand of OTA antenna comes with motorhomes? My fiver has the Winegard Sensar model. In most pictures that I have seen it shows a round type which I am assuming is the OTA antenna.
reubenray is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-04-2013, 06:52 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
I believe most round types you see are satellite dishes. My original OTA was about 2 1/2 foot long and about 5" wide (winegard) I have changed mine to a JACK antenna which is shaped like a triangle. I also have an in motion satellite receiver which is housed in a dome.
Old 02-07-2013, 04:58 PM   #3

The round one in my avatar photo is an Antennacraft Mini-State. Each manufacturer choses what antenna brand and model they want to install, some don't come with one at all and leave it up to the buyer, the half round domes are a style of satellite dish, there are others too.
Bama, did you install the compete Jack antenna or just the replacement head ? I have some questions about installing the pedastal model Jack.
Old 02-07-2013, 05:54 PM   #4

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
The round one is a Winegard Roadstar, it is omindirecitonal and not worth salvage in my opinion.. The Sensar is the "Batwing" It can be upgraded very easily, for just over 100 dollars into the very best OTA RV antenna made, for aroudn 35 bucks it competes with the #2, by itself, it's #3

(35 bucks is the wingman UHF Director array, just about doubles the performance of the antenna,, The rest of the "just over 100" is the sensar pro internal module (Power supply/switch) That puppy is fantastic, I know, I got one.)
Old 02-08-2013, 05:19 AM   #5

I guess I need to start looking at the roofs also in our hunt.
reubenray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 06:37 AM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
[QUOTE=Manuel B;1456197]The round one in my avatar photo is an Antennacraft Mini-State. Each manufacturer choses what antenna brand and model they want to install, some don't come with one at all and leave it up to the buyer, the half round domes are a style of satellite dish, there are others too.
Bama, did you install the compete Jack antenna or just the replacement head ? I have some questions about installing the pedastal model Jack.[/QUOTE

I removed the original "batwing" and installed just the head. Works good and fit perfectly without any modifications. I got the best price on ebay!
Old 02-08-2013, 11:10 AM   #7

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
There are no absolutes but the most common antenna is a Winegard Sensar II II or IV, The model varies. This is the "Batwing" type of antennas. HOWEVER that said there are a few other companies that make one that looks like that. Airstream uses a different antenna made by a friend of mine (And his co-workers). (Well former friend, I've not talked to him in like 30 years, Moved due to job offer).

A round "Flying saucer" Goes by many names depending on who painted it but normally that is the Winegard Roadstar, It's junk, avoid it.

There is another flying saucher that might be decent.

Domes, as someone pointed out, are usually satellite (Single or dual SOLO LNB (One LNB and one or two outputs) Mine is a Dual (one LNB 2 outputs)

The best antenna would be the Winegard Sensar IV with the Sensar Pro inside the motor home.

Tags
antenna