Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-14-2018, 10:18 AM   #1

OTA Antenna Amplifier?

Are there any amplifiers that would work with the batwing antenna? I am looking to pull in some weak channels a little more that what the standard Winegard cable/ota box does.
reubenray is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-14-2018, 11:53 AM   #2

An amplifier will also amplify any noise. You can buy an add on to the batwing that will make the antenna more directional and increase gain. I think it is about $30. You may find in metropolitan areas that you will need to aim the antenna when you change channels.

I found near Cincinnati I had aim between some channels, northwest of Phoenix I didn’t.
mrboyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 12:15 PM   #3

Winegard Batwing Antenna is directional....front of antenna should be pointed towards the TV Transponder Tower to receive strongest channel signals

Many websites available to get compass directions for aiming the antenna

Batwing antenna has a amplifier in head of antenna

12V DC powered via coax cable

Never tried an 'add-on' amplifier.
When the Batwing wouldn't pull channels in I would hoist up a single array antenna on a pipe attached to rear ladder and then connect it to cable input...set TV for cable input and rescan.
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 12:20 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrboyer View Post
An amplifier will also amplify any noise. You can buy an add on to the batwing that will make the antenna more directional and increase gain. I think it is about $30. You may find in metropolitan areas that you will need to aim the antenna when you change channels.

I found near Cincinnati I had aim between some channels, northwest of Phoenix I didn’t.
I have this already.

I also use a compass to find out what direction the towers are.
Old 10-22-2018, 07:28 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
I purchased the Camping World amplifier unit that also shows signal strength. It works a little better than the installed Batwing amplifier. But, as suggested, you will need to try and turn the antenna while watching a signal strength meter to find the best reception. And depending on the station locations, you might have to turn the antenna for different stations. On the other hand, I understand from a fellow Camper who installed the Omni-directional Antenna, which as I also understand, is fixed as far as installation goes, but it has a 360 degree antenna built into the Antenna Head. And thus will receive signals within range of the Antenna. I think he said the Antenna is by "King." In any event, you will want to research any product before you jump on it. FWIW.
Mutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 08:18 AM   #6

the batwing antenna on my trailer is in a fixed direction and does not raise or lower either. is there a device to maybe add onto it that might improve reception of those stations that out of it's aiming pattern?
runamuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 09:35 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by runamuck View Post
the batwing antenna on my trailer is in a fixed direction and does not raise or lower either. is there a device to maybe add onto it that might improve reception of those stations that out of it's aiming pattern?
The typical directional antenna will have what amounts to nulls to either side, meaning it has essentially no ability to pick up signals. Off the back will be greater, but depending on the forward gain, generally pretty weak compared to the forward gain. So no, you can't amplify what isn't there, and you'd be adding noise to an almost nonexistant signal, which will actually make it worse.

A common medium/high gain 4-bay 'bowtie' UHF antenna radiation pattern plot. Essentially nothing off the sides, little off the back, and max gain from the front. Zero gain is referenced to an isotropic antenna, or theoretically perfect omnidirectional antenna. Positive gain means greater signal strength, and negative gain means weaker signal strength, compared to the reference. A 'perfect' omni would plot just a circle at the zero mark.

KanzKran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2018, 07:23 AM   #8

The Winegard SensarPro is a replacement wall plate that is a combination amplifier and signal level indicator. It can be used with Winegard or Jack antennas to help with the initial aiming of your antenna and has an amplifier that allows you to increase or decrease the gain.
Tom_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2018, 09:12 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom_M View Post
The Winegard SensarPro is a replacement wall plate that is a combination amplifier and signal level indicator. It can be used with Winegard or Jack antennas to help with the initial aiming of your antenna and has an amplifier that allows you to increase or decrease the gain.
This is in my Amazon wish list. I think it may be my best option. It will also help me turn the antenna in the best direction. I use a compass with headings I get from TVFool and Antennaweb.org but this will help more.
Old 10-24-2018, 10:41 AM   #10

Mine works great! If you use a directional antenna like the batwing, it is well worth the price. You can even set it to show the signal strength of a specific station for fine tuning. The last time I checked, CW had them for less than Amazon.
Old 10-24-2018, 11:07 AM   #11

Keep in mind that sometimes too much amplification can be a bad thing. The SensarPro allows you to adjust gain plus or minus 10db. Also the channel numbers most likely will not match the channel numbers displayed on your TV. The SensarPro displays the RF or real channel and your TV displays the Virtual channel. For instance, channel 2 in my area is actually broadcast on RF channel 34.
Tom_M is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
antenna