Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-28-2018, 10:05 PM   #15

OP: I did try the non-amp'ed LEAF flat antenna positioned on a wall inside the RV. Signal strength was indeed 5-10% higher than the amplified flat Winegard (Tivo's signal meter testing x 5 OTA channels), since we are so close at home to the transmission towers. Still, the signal strength is only adequate not great, topping out at 62%. I think we can get by with 60% till the remodel is done. When we're out traveling, we're usually much more distant from transmission towers, so a good amp'ed directional antenna to replace the OEM rooftop antenna may be in order. BTW - our household is a cord-cut home, so we only have Comcast internet, no cable TV.

Winegard - thanks for being a good commercial contributor to IRV2 - does incent me to buy Winegard.

A weirdness. I plugged in the ORV's original rooftop antenna and the best signal was a pixellated 32%, with the little push-button ceiling switch to choose ant vs cable and there was no difference on/off! Makes me think the original ORV-installed antenna is dead, (I've tried a few RG6 cables from the ceiling outlet to eliminate that factor.) Time for a new antenna for the rooftop, but that's a whole 'nother complex topic.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-29-2018, 01:15 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.B View Post
I have an ORV trailer too, and it wouldn't surprise me if the issue was caused by the mess in the wall. They use pretty low-grade, mostly unshielded coax, and they run it all along both high and low voltage electrical. That has the potential to create a ton of interference.
By definition coax is shielded. The outer conductor is ground. That said, I have seen some pretty loose braid indicating poor shielding.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 03:11 AM   #17
YC1

Quote:
Originally Posted by quattroluvr View Post
OP: I did try the non-amp'ed LEAF flat antenna positioned on a wall inside the RV. Signal strength was indeed 5-10% higher than the amplified flat Winegard (Tivo's signal meter testing x 5 OTA channels), since we are so close at home to the transmission towers. Still, the signal strength is only adequate not great, topping out at 62%. I think we can get by with 60% till the remodel is done. When we're out traveling, we're usually much more distant from transmission towers, so a good amp'ed directional antenna to replace the OEM rooftop antenna may be in order. BTW - our household is a cord-cut home, so we only have Comcast internet, no cable TV.

Winegard - thanks for being a good commercial contributor to IRV2 - does incent me to buy Winegard.

A weirdness. I plugged in the ORV's original rooftop antenna and the best signal was a pixellated 32%, with the little push-button ceiling switch to choose ant vs cable and there was no difference on/off! Makes me think the original ORV-installed antenna is dead, (I've tried a few RG6 cables from the ceiling outlet to eliminate that factor.) Time for a new antenna for the rooftop, but that's a whole 'nother complex topic.
With no difference when you push the button you may have lost the 12 volts it sends to the antenna. You can measure from the center pin to the outside of the connector at the antenna.

Many of those push button devices have a small led to indicate when they are turned on.

When you used the antenna from the house did you use any of the existing coax in the rv?

It is possible you have more than one issue. Not uncommon at all to have a couple of connectors loose.

YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 03:55 AM   #18

Quote:

Typically, the pushbbutton selector is an A/B switch with a 12vdc injector on the rooftop cable. The switch (when in the Cable position) should disconnect the rooftop antenna effectively leaving you with nothing but a disconnected coax to the Cable connection (and little if any signal). When in the Ant position the Cable should disconnect and the Ant cable will be connected and have 12vdc supplied to the rooftop Ant/amplifier. Your symptom sounds a lot like no signal between the Cable/Ant switch and the TV.
Old 01-29-2018, 10:21 AM   #19

Quote:

I had this problem with my rooftop, and I found and inline automotive blade type 3 or 5 amp fuse in the line to the switch box (BOMB) was blown. Replaced it and got a ton of channels. Antenna signal was not getting amplified.
Old 01-29-2018, 04:12 PM   #20

OP: Thanks again for all the suggestions. A blown inline fuse in the line between the ant/cable switch and the rooftop ant would account for the symptoms. BUT there's no inline fuse; there is a small 1.5"x2" circuit board on the back side of the ant/cable outlet/switch in the ceiling. Perhaps that board is bad, though there is 12V output on the coax to the roof ant.

Used proven coax when I tried the known good LEAF ant from the house.

Tags
antenna