Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-31-2014, 12:48 AM   #1

Over the air TV signal

I've been looking into whether or not there is an amplifier that can be hooked up between the cable outlet to my antenna and the TV and how this would work if both the original and the new amp were powered up? Or I can leave the original off and put in a new one in between and would it even be worth the money by getting me a clearer signal off towers that are there but sketchy. Basically are the new amps better than what came with the trailer ( 2013 Gulf Stream 269 bhl ) not sure what the system is on this unit. Ha if anybody can understand what I'm trying to get at would really value some input and hear what others have done if possible thanks.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-31-2014, 03:31 AM   #2

The amplifier itself is in the head of the antenna. The button you push whether from a switchbox or a small panel inside that lights up, is merely the 12volt power for amp. Im not sure which antenna brand/model you have - but if you Search the forums for your particular brand/model you will find many threads on how to help your signal strengths. :-)

Old 03-31-2014, 06:49 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
The problem with over amplification of a weak signal is you will also amplify the noise. With a digital signal, this can lead to no signal at the TV.

Ken
Old 03-31-2014, 06:55 AM   #4

I tried what you are asking with no noticeable improvement. First thing I'd do is find out what you have. Many discussions on this and other forums about OTA antenna. Opinions and results vary. I swapped my 2000 model Winegard for a new Jack and got much better service. I would have upgraded to a new Winegard with the wingman but did not have the clearance on the roof to do so. Others have tested the newer Winegard with all kinds of test equipment and found it to be the better unit.
2013 Chevy Sonic Hatchback (Automatic)
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 07:30 AM   #5

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Standard Winegard Wingman has an amp in the head (Antenna) the box in the house (Inside) is only a power supply..

IF you have the wall plate with switch, LED 12 volt outlet and antenna jack then it provides power to the amp when on.. HOWEVER

The Wineguared SENSAR PRO replaces it, this adds more amplification and some other handy features.. Works great

IF you have teh box of many buttons, The Sensor procan be installed between it and the antenna.. And again as I said WORKS GREAT.

Other amps.. May not work in that position since either they will not pass 12 volts to the head amp or... they can be damaged by the DC on their output. OR, both.
Old 03-31-2014, 12:45 PM   #6

Workhorse Chassis Owner
If you have a Winegard power supply/wall plate it acts as an A/B switch in addition to turning the amplifier in the antenna head on. If the switch is off, the cable from the wall plate going to the TV is switched to the external TV cable. If you add another amp the switch must be in the antenna on position.
Old 03-31-2014, 06:03 PM   #7

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
The Sensar Pro has that feature as well.. Here is a list of what it does, I may miss an item or two

A/B (Cable/Antenna) Switch
Splitter (one in two outputs)
Adjustable amplifier
Signal Strength meter, You can either let it choose the channel to meter or you can do it by hand.
Scanner, Scanns for active channels
Audio-Signal Strength meters (That annoying BEEPER that sat receivers have.. If you can not see the thing, then it will provide audio feedback).

If you are in an area with very strong signals.. the 20 step amplifier can be turned down to the point where it acts as an attenuator and cuts down on the receiver overload.. If you are in weak signal land (Common for RV parks) it adds additional amplification. Very nice Three buttons control all the functions and a column of LED's tell you what is active, the top Digital display is, I believe, signal strength and the bottom one is adjustments.. (IE> on the amplifier gain is says 00 to 20, audio gain is displayed or the currently "Active" channel in the assorted signal strength modes. Search, SCAN and Manual.
Old 04-01-2014, 09:13 AM   #8

I think the sensor will work for us but the existing plate has a jack sticking out of it and a 12 volt power supply which I use quite often for light duty stuff. We have an entertainment center where the coaxial is run to and then to the TV but only plays DVDs so use the jack in the front for a quick hookup for our VCR . Also do I need to hook up to the second TV out jack for the system to work properly. I really appreciate the responses so far and more are welcomed. By the way things were here this weekend winter isn't done with us so no huge rush and besides I want to do it right and the way I want it so keep em coming. Thanks again.
Old 04-01-2014, 11:09 AM   #9

I upgraded the head on my 2001 Sensar and added a Wingman two years ago and it works better than the amplified Metrostar on a 25' mast attached to my home..