Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-20-2015, 10:36 PM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by schrodoc1 View Post
What is this "Bomb" Box anyway?
Sorry do not understand that?
B.O.M.B. = Acronym for "Box of many buttons"

Some RVs have a switchbox that has all the various inputs/outputs. Our Bounder does not have a BOMB.

Look CLOSELY in your AV cabinet; you should have a switch that changes input from cable/satellite to over-the-air antenna.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-21-2015, 11:29 AM   #16

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Do you have a box that looks similar to this? (Not the Jamo box, what's sitting on top of it) This is my BOMB, as you can see, it has many button. For the input to the TV, I have to select what I want.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	274.3 KB
ID:	97962  
denlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 04:22 PM   #17

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
The BOMB (Photo in reply above) may well be my fault.. Not knowing the proper name (Matrix Switch) when I first joined, I called it a BOX OF MANY BUTTONS.. Someone else acronymed it and it's stuck ever since. I like it.

Things have changed but back then (when I joined) IF you had the wall plate you did not have the BOMB

But today ...... Since the original Winegard matrix switch is no more it is very possibly you have both. Likely in fact if you have multiple TVs.
Old 06-22-2015, 09:26 AM   #18
doc

Appalachian Campers
Betting you need to scan to get all the available channels. Our coach set up requires a scan on local over-the- air as well as cable channels
doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 09:55 AM   #19

Only one Thanks
Guy told me the Parks are changing the cable signal and some require a separate cable box or you need Sattelite now!
schrodoc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 09:59 AM   #20

Yes, changed that Thor told me parks are requiring Sattelite connections or you need a Cable Box which DTV does not work as I have system on hold for 6 months, OR
Pay $92 a month plus buy a $2200 DTV HI DEF Sattelite on our RV
Or, have a DTV portable Dish
That isn't feasible either
Things they don't tell you when you write them the big check huh?
Thanks!
Old 06-23-2015, 04:05 PM   #21

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Send a message via AIM to Hurricane1 Send a message via MSN to Hurricane1 Send a message via Yahoo to Hurricane1
I think you have the same problem I have, your tv probably doesnt have a QAM tuner.
Hurricane1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 05:12 PM   #22

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Generally the Cable Companies (NOT PARKS) who have switched to Digital/encrypted cable.. The park office will have a supply of rental boxes.

That said.. I will not give you my opinion of the cable companies that are going all encrypted... Other than to say I do not think that is legal under current rules. But I may be wrong on that.
Old 06-23-2015, 07:05 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
Generally the Cable Companies (NOT PARKS) who have switched to Digital/encrypted cable. The park office will have a supply of rental boxes.
And that supply is dwindling -- so update your TVs.
TechWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 08:55 AM   #24

Thanks Folks

I learned we are screwed! Need Cabke Box from Cable Company, and that ain't gonna happen!
Parks are getting away from providing "Freebies" or at least extra "Freebies!"
BYO Sattelite Dish
(As in $2000 Plus) for Hi-Def built on RV Dish for DTV, Dish, whatever???
Or, Tune in a few pixelated channels from your antenna and pay the RV parks for one less service?!!!
Now no Sewer or Water connect at State parks?
Wow!
Another great "Perk" of RV owning I guess??
Read it and Weep!
Thanks though all of you, you are all kind!!!
I did everything possible until I found out the newest scheme (or Scam???)
Old 06-24-2015, 11:42 AM   #25

It isn't the RV park's choice to provide encrypted cable. It is the local cable company. The cable company will charge the RV park for that rental box. Put the blame where it belongs! The RV park owner likely has no choice.

Cable company's encrypt signals because cheap people steal them without paying, and they would not stay in business. Fact of life.

Cable channels and broadcast channels charge the cable company for carrying their programming. Like it or not, that gets passed along in higher cable bills and satellite bills. Sports channels like ESPN and regional sports are the worst. They are the ones who won't allow you to only pay for the channels you really want. They want all or nothing, and count on the paying customers to demand them.

If your TV's don't have QAM tuners, blame Thor for using cheaper TV's. Vizio digital TV's apparently have a QAM tuner built in. Element digital TV's don't. (I have a plasma monitor with NO tuner at all.)

If the digital cable is unencrypted, you can buy a QAM tuner that will allow you to tune the digital unencrypted channels. If they are encrypted, then you need the cable company box. Check with your neighbors. If they can get the cable without a box on their TV's, the cable is unencrypted and you are in business with a better tuner.

I use satellite and OTA (HD quality), so I usually don't pay much attention to park cable systems unless I am in the trees. I have used them enough to know I don't want to use them. Most I have used are still analog, and poor quality. One RV park in Utah had a new digital cable system, and I was able to tune them on my OTA DVR, which has a QAM tuner, without a box. They were not encrypted. If I need to rent a box, I won't bother.