Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-17-2015, 06:05 PM   #1

Park cable tv??

We have a 07 Beaver Marquis. When we go to a park and use there cable tv hook up we get all types of problems. Right now at a park with 49 channels. Front TV only gets 11 channels. 4 have good picture rest real fuzzy. Rear tv gets all 49 channels. A few are good pictures rest all blurry. Local tech came out ( has worked on it several times?), told me possibility that tvs dont have correct digital tuner in them. Asked why some channels are good and was told because analog signal is strong enough to override the digital signal. He is researching the tv models. I don't remember this problem with our 04 Marquis? Anyone have any imput on this situation ?
FLYING BUTCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-17-2015, 06:28 PM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
Do you have a rooftop antenna? Does it have an amplifier? (Often a small box with a light and a switch in your media cabinet.) The amplifier needs to be off to get good cable signal. Also, that amplifier should be off when not using the antenna, it can drain your house batteries.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 06:34 PM   #3

Make sure each TV is set to receive cable vs OTA and then scan for channels on each TV. Depending on the TV these options could be part of the menu option
coachmanjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 06:34 PM   #4

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Some TV's are better at picking up a marginal signal whether OTA or cable.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 07:26 PM   #5

Our MH is older and we had the same issue. Turned out our rig had one coax coming in from the cable hookup outside. The dealer used that to hook up our sat TV box. To solve the issue we needed to add a duplexer on the outside and inside. When we want to use Satv we push the aux buttons on the selector box and the cable when we want cable. Each requires that we use the TV controller to select the input and the correct convection on the TV itself. If using cable we must then proceed to setup and allow it to scan for channels.
Nana25K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 09:15 PM   #6

I would guess that in an '07 coach the front TV might have a analog tuner, and the cable system might have both analog and digital signals. Your tuner only tunes the analog ones. Those can often be blurry. Does your TV remote have a dash button or a period button? If yes, your TV is digital. If no, your TV is analog.
Old 08-17-2015, 09:26 PM   #7

When we were in TN recently, we could pick up only about 10 stations on the front TV (old type) and 40-50 on the rear (new type). I had removed the government subsidized converter in the front TV line. The rear set said it was selecting analog stations, but they were all clear. I don't know WHAT the front set picked up, but they were not the same as the rear. I'm still pushing DW for a new set for the front to simplify things.
Old 08-17-2015, 10:45 PM   #8

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retired and Happy View Post
When we were in TN recently, we could pick up only about 10 stations on the front TV (old type) and 40-50 on the rear (new type). I had removed the government subsidized converter in the front TV line. The rear set said it was selecting analog stations, but they were all clear. I don't know WHAT the front set picked up, but they were not the same as the rear. I'm still pushing DW for a new set for the front to simplify things.
All TV signals are now broadcast in digital format, older TVs only receive analog signals. Because of delays due to political pressure, the final cut off for even low power and repeater stations (often found in rural areas) is September 1, 2015. So you have a couple of weeks left to receive low power analog stations over the air. Your "government subsidized converter" box changes digital signals to analog ones so you can continue to use an older TV set. The frequencies freed up by this change to digital only broadcast TV are being sold to other data providers across the country.

Cable providers have been allowed to continue to offer analog signals since they aren't broadcast, these are the channels from 2-99. Cable providers can fit about 10 digital SD channels or 2 digital HD channels on a single analog channel frequency, and analog signals only display at 480p, the lowest quality picture. Digital signals can be HDTV at 720p, 1080i vertical lines of resolution.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 05:05 AM   #9

we have a similar issue in ours - living room Main tv has the most issues, does not always pick up all the Cable, and especially Antenna, channels that the other tvs do, especially the rear Bedroom tv.
We have 5 tvs - don't you love having to 'scan' each one every time you move!!! : (
I'm waiting for the day that all these coach tvs are like the unit I had Thor replace in my outside - a Samsung that scans ALL options at the same time(cable and antenna)!
MisterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 07:33 AM   #10

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
YOu can always put a SAMSUNG in yourself.. I did, two of them.. Plus a Dynx and a "no name" Wall*mart Special. All work differently.

There is a much longer story here. but.

Park where I am cable is hybrid, some Digital only my TV's can display and some Analog the DVR's deal with nicely.. Plus over the air Digital the DVR's get via converters they control..

Television in RVs can be a real pain.. The folks who wire RV's are not really RF trained so they make errors on occasions and they do not understand the difference between lowest bidder RG-59 and RG-6

If you have a matrix switch simply exercising it (push buttons like 50 times each with power off) may help. IF you have the wall plate be sure it's OFF for cable. If you are in S.E. Ga park near me and I make house calls.. Standard fee is a cup of coffee.