Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-08-2016, 04:42 PM   #43

I got my Karma from Amazon yesterday. I found setup to be very easy and am so far pleased with the performance. I don't find not being able to network a printer a problem so far. I just use a usb cable from laptop to printer.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-08-2016, 07:59 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenXRamblers View Post
New purchases say "2-3 Mbps" now. Still not bad for unlimited.
Yes, I could live with 2-3 mbps unlimited usage for $50/month, still an incredible deal. But they're going to have to have some kind of high data cap to curb 'top 5%' abusive use, some people are just morons and will stream HD video for days on end, operate a torrent server, etc., and ruin it for everyone else.
smiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 06:43 AM   #45

Monaco Owners Club
Mobile Internet Aficianados

For those people who are seriously interested in mobile internet services while traveling in your RV I would highly suggest that you sign up for a membership at the Mobile Internet Aficionados for their yearly membership and newsletters that contain very worthwhile information.

Their last newsletter also addressed information about the Karma fiasco. It was called "Bad Kama". I would have posted some if its information but it is copyrighted by Chris and Cherie, the owners.

Basically, Kama is now throttling their service down to a manageable and profitable level. Something that wasn't explained when it was first introduced a few months ago.

BTW, being a member saved me almost $500 as I was about ready to order the WeBoost 4G-X cellular signal booster system BUT I read their very recent evaluation of that equipment and it did not perform up to expectations so I chose not to waste the money.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 08:15 PM   #46

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr4Film View Post

Their last newsletter also addressed information about the Karma fiasco. It was called "Bad Kama".

Basically, Kama is now throttling their service down to a manageable and profitable level. Something that wasn't explained when it was first introduced a few months ago.
The Karma fiasco was a back ordered shipping issue that was resolved months ago.

Karma Go is NOT "throttling their service down" This is inaccurate information, and if it came from the $57 a year subscription service you mentioned, I will would rather use the $57 to buy data for my Karma Go than spend the money on a rag that puts out mis-information that is probably secretly subsidized my the cell phone industry.

Here are some of the typical speeds I see while traveling in my coach. No throttling here!
Attached Images

Dan & April Mastroluca-2001 Monaco Diplomat 36PBD Cummins ISC330HP 8.3L Diesel 6-Speed Allison Transmission-Toad= 2017 Ford Fusion Energi w/ Roadmaster Falcon II tow bar & Roadmaster Invisibrake FMCA# F452291 https://www.facebook.com/dmastroluca
dmastroluca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 06:28 AM   #47

Monaco Owners Club
Folks,

First off their newsletter is free to join, not the $57 that was posted.

Second, if you have signed up for the Karma REFUEL service their speeds will be higher but you will pay for ALL data used. If you signed up for the Karma NEVERSTOP service their speeds that they advertised originally were significantly higher than they are now with NO data caps.

Here are a couple of snippets from their Neverstop FAQ's web site.

You get speeds up to 2-3Mbps and you can connect up to three devices with your Neverstop account. We may even offer higher speeds in the future as well.

Karma Go does not support streaming devices (such as Apple TV, Roku, or Chromecast) or gaming consoles. Gaming consoles and streaming devices require high speed and performance, both of which Neverstop is not intended for. Overall, the experience will not be adequate enough for these use cases.

This is a BIG change from when they first started advertising the service.

Information is free, Google is your friend!

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Old 01-11-2016, 12:15 PM   #48

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Folks,

First off their newsletter is free to join, not the $57 that was posted.
You said "membership" in you first post, not newsletter. The memberships that actually have the most needed information are yearly subscriptions. See image below.

Quote:
Second, if you have signed up for the Karma REFUEL service their speeds will be higher but you will pay for ALL data used.
And you don't pay for data you don't use. That is why it is a great solution for myself and others that only use internet in their coach a few months out of the year

Quote:
If you signed up for the Karma NEVERSTOP service their speeds that they advertised originally were significantly higher than they are now with NO data caps.
Again, I only use pay as you go, and that is the title of this thread I started. It appears the Karma Go folks are tweaking their network to make their network better for both data plan flavors. Here is an update they posted on Thursday.

Note: As of 1/7/16, we began running tests to optimize Neverstop service, including lowering speeds. Our engineers are working hard to find the right balance of always accessible worry-free internet, at a fair price, so you'll likely see speeds change over the next few days while we try to fine-tune that balance. We'll update everyone when we have more concrete changes to report.

The Karma folks are very transparent, and they are not secretly down throttling data as most other cell providers have done in that past, and are still doing. It is refreshing to see a company doing this after dealing with traditional cell data providers over the years.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	mia.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	91.8 KB
ID:	116252  
Dan & April Mastroluca-2001 Monaco Diplomat 36PBD Cummins ISC330HP 8.3L Diesel 6-Speed Allison Transmission-Toad= 2017 Ford Fusion Energi w/ Roadmaster Falcon II tow bar & Roadmaster Invisibrake FMCA# F452291 https://www.facebook.com/dmastroluca
Old 01-11-2016, 12:26 PM   #49

Fleetwood Owners Club
My Karma Neverstop has gone from 4.38Mpbs to between 1.1-1.3 the last couple days. :(
Latest a couple minutes ago Download :: 734 Kbps 92 kB/s :(

My 1st month ended yesterday and I had used 15.56GB
Triker56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 12:43 PM   #50

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triker56 View Post
My 1st month ended yesterday and I had used 15.56GB

You're obviously a data hog! (just kidding) It's funny how Karma's problem is going to be "blamed" on the consumer. What did they expect the average "unlimited" account use to be?
okcnewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 08:35 AM   #51

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triker56 View Post
My Karma Neverstop has gone from 4.38Mpbs to between 1.1-1.3 the last couple days. :(
Latest a couple minutes ago Download :: 734 Kbps 92 kB/s :(
You might want to switch to pay as you go until they work it out. I picked up some cheap data for my next vacation over the holidays during their "double the data" deal. I got 20 gigs of data for $99. Less than $5 per GB is a ridiculously good deal on never expiring 4G data.
Old 01-12-2016, 09:19 AM   #52

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmastroluca View Post
You might want to switch to pay as you go until they work it out. I picked up some cheap data for my next vacation over the holidays during their "double the data" deal. I got 20 gigs of data for $99. Less than $5 per GB is a ridiculously good deal on never expiring 4G data.
That 15.56GB cost was $3.21 a GB on the Neverstop plan.
And I have 2 more month pre paid Neverstop.
Todays speed.
Triker56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 12:02 AM   #53

Fleetwood Owners Club
So I just got my karma go yesterday and so far I am pretty happy.it is throttled but works fine for the type of surfing I do. Even works well for you tube.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2016-01-14-00-57-12.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	169.4 KB
ID:	116500  
montyhp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 09:13 AM   #54

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Update this morning in my inbox:

From the Karma folks

Last week we announced that we were testing lower speeds to find a way to reduce strain on Neverstop. At the same time we asked for your input to improve it and have spent the last week analyzing your feedback.

What Happened
We made a mistake. We modeled Neverstop usage to be much higher than usage on Refuel. But we never anticipated that some customers would use over 1,000GB a month.

Some of you asked why we don't kick off the bad guys. Frankly, we don't think there are any bad guys. We offered an all-you-can-surf option, and people took us up on it. That's on us.

But usage this high is not something that will work today.

The other thing made clear in your feedback is that speed is important. Slowing it down was not a good solution, which is understandable.

What’s Next
Getting online with Neverstop should be simple and work well for most use cases. Here's the update:

5Mbps up and down speeds are coming back
Get 15GB of data per month. After this, you’ll still be online but with speeds good enough for emailing and messaging
Earn a $1 credit for each unused GB
Beginning today at 10am ET, everyone on Neverstop will get a fresh start at 0GB. Based on current usage, this change will have little to no impact for most of you, while still reducing strain on Neverstop. But, if you’re looking to binge watch Netflix 24/7, this probably isn’t the product for you. If that’s the case, head to our returns page and we’ll take it from there.

Our mission is providing you frictionless internet connectivity. Now it's our job to continue iterating to make it happen. There’s a lot to be done.
GenXRamblers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 09:23 AM   #55

Newmar Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I don't have a dog in this race yet. But I have been following the thread. I find it refreshing that they seem to be meeting a problem head on, taking ownership of it and looking for reasonable solutions. No BS, no excuses, etc. I'm sure there are a few that won't be happy with what they've done, but that's probably the abusers anyway. I just really like their honest approach to the situation and the fact they communicate with their customer base. I get so sick of spins and lies by companies these days. Kudos to the Karma folks.
jt
JT, Em & the boys, Kong & Baxter (rescued grey tabbies)
harleyjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 09:29 AM   #56

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by harleyjt View Post

I don't have a dog in this race yet. But I have been following the thread. I find it refreshing that they seem to be meeting a problem head on, taking ownership of it and looking for reasonable solutions. No BS, no excuses, etc. I'm sure there are a few that won't be happy with what they've done, but that's probably the abusers anyway. I just really like their honest approach to the situation and the fact they communicate with their customer base. I get so sick of spins and lies by companies these days.

Kudos to the Karma folks.
Totally agree!

I don't have an interest in this either as I am not a Karma owner but they seem to be working out the problems quickly and coming up with solutions to expedite the situation.

Dr4Film ----- Richard