RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-17-2018, 09:09 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Pay As You Go on Verizon?

We are going to a location for Memorial Day that only has Verizon coverage, and we have AT&T and T-Mobile. We still need to be connected.

Are there any data plans for Verizon or someone that resells Verizon service that we can get for a month and then let it lapse until we need it again?

Paul

pwhittle is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-18-2018, 03:55 AM   #2

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Paul-

Yes, Search for "Verizon prepaid plans." There are phone and data plans available.

I use the prepaid data-only plan to power a Verizon JetPack when we're away from home. Sixty dollars gets $5GB for 60 days.

If you end up talking to a human, you must resist the up-sell.

l1v3fr33ord1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 10:13 PM   #3

The biggest hurdle you are going to have to get over is that your phone won't work on a Verizon network... AT&T is a GSM service and Verizon is CDMA...they are incompatible. If you had an unlocked phone that was capable of both types, you could get a CDMA SIM. (TracFone, for instance has a CDMA SIM) and swap that for your existing SIM. You would still need to arrange service and get a plan, usually monthly allotments of minutes/texts/data. That all is based on your current phone being both GSM and CDMA capable, most aren't; if you got your phone through AT&T, it is most likely "locked" into GSM. The companies do that so that you can't drop one (GSM) and switch to another carrier that is CDMA. The same is true of phones bought from any carrier; if it is a CDMA carrier, the phones you buy com them will be "locked" to CDMA. I have a dual service "unlocked" Galaxy S9. I like TracFone, been with them when dumb phones first came out, so the SIM I got from them is CDMA (TracFone uses Verizon towers), but, if I get mad and want to stop giving Verizon any money, I can pop in a GSM SIM from a provider that uses that service protocol in the same phone I have and I'm good to go.

Not all "unlocked " phones are dual service compatible, you have to search for companies that sell phones (no service) and then narrow it down to dual service and be wary of some that are dual service but have a non-U.S. warranty or are dual SIM, again, a European phone type that won't do what you are looking for.

Don & Bronwyn + 1 Cat; J-Lo
2014 Thor Tuscany 40RX (AKA, "The Cat House")
2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk Towed
webslave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2018, 06:37 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club

Right.

I have an AT&T iPhone 5S that does not appear to be compatible with Verizon.

I also have an AT&T hotspot that isnít compatible either.

I will likely pick up a Verizon hotspot from Craigslist or Verizon directly.

Paul
Old 05-19-2018, 10:17 AM   #5

I prefer to save my phone's data and not use it as a hotspot. I went to Wal-Mart and picked up a Verizon capable hotspot, but, I use the Straight Talk Ultimate Unlimited card. Good for 30 days of service and 65 GB of data at 4G LTE speed before they threaten to throttle me. Quite adequate for those rare instances where my Mobley can't get a signal. Once I'm on the road, I can purchase new cards from Walmart's website and they send the pin pretty quickly (matter of minutes).

Don & Bronwyn + 1 Cat; J-Lo
2014 Thor Tuscany 40RX (AKA, "The Cat House")
2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk Towed
webslave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 07:26 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club

I was just on chat with Straight Talk and they said their Ultimate Unlimited cards are not for hotspots.

Have you found that they work?

They also,said you could not Bring Your Own Device for Hotspots,and I had to use one of their devices. Is this the upsell of which livefree speaks?

I have the opportunity to pick up a Verizon Hotspot from Facebook Marketplace.

Paul
Old 05-20-2018, 07:43 AM   #7

You can get a 4G LTE hotspot from Straighttalk for as little as $10 and data plans for as little as $15 for 1 Gb up to $75 for a 7 Gb 60 day plan. The only way to go if you have devices to connect to WiFi.

The data on the phone plans look better, but Straighttalk does not allow tethering on their phones.

tfryman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
verizon