Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-29-2013, 03:57 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Pay as you go Satellite

Removing satellite at home, changing to FIOS. Going to change to Dish - Pay as you go in the motorhome. Ordered the receiver from CW. Looking for any hints, best plans or suggestions. Which plan is best and if I should go through Dish or one of their distributors.

Thanks
cc8375 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-29-2013, 05:21 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I had the Dish America plan - the standard with Pay-as-u-go methinks. Provided all the channels we needed. The plan really depends on your wants.

One thing to be aware. If you have not used the receiver for over 30 days, it will need to be authenticated when next used. To do this you set it up and get it working (the channels will come up with a not authorized (or similar) message), then call Dish support and ask them to 'hit' your receiver.

This is not a big deal - if you have phone coverage where you are camping. We often do not. The alternative is to set it up before heading out and get a 'hit'. A bit of a pain if using portable dish (Tailgater, etc.). Not a big deal if you have a coach mounted antenna. We have the Tailgater - and a extra house antenna. So ran a cable from the house antenna. Plug it in during pre-flight activities and get your 'hit'.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 09:51 AM   #3

Workhorse Chassis Owner
What is FIOS? First In ????????????

2002 Itasca Suncruiser - WH Chassis - 35U - 2006 Jeep Liberty
hamguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 09:59 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamguy View Post
What is FIOS? First In ????????????
FIOS is fiber optic run all the way to your house. Not sure it is an acronym.
FRR2EYW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 05:03 PM   #5
Commercial Member

I've had Dish pay-as-you-go now for 2 and a half years. No problems. I will say, go directly with Dish but you must use a special 800 number, their normal people don't know anything about the RV Pay-as-you-go package. Very painless process, about 20 min. on the phone, they need a valid Credit Card and away you go. They can explain the various packages and setup your local stations.
shiggs68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 07:51 PM   #6

Florida Cooters Club
Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
I've been on Dish Pay As You Go for about a year, usually restarting before a trip and then cancelling upon return (usually about a week each time). Dish customer service is horribly erratic. Sometimes I get someone who knows about the program. Other times I think I have dialed into an alternate universe. I called a few minutes ago to 'cancel' service (you have to be careful with terminology because saying 'disconnect' or 'suspend' may get you a $5 monthly pause fee) and couldn't believe the response I got. I have a $20.20 CREDIT balance on my account and they told me I couldn't cancel because my account was already off for non-payment (I used it this morning). Took me two call-backs and five reps before I was able to cancel until the next time I need it.

I like the quality of the pay as you go service, but Dish CUSTOMER SERVICE is awful.

By the way, I started by calling the 'special' pay-as-you-go phone number which I'm not going to put here because it appears that number now goes to the general call center.

On edit: regarding going to Dish or using a distributor, you may as well start with Dish. I started with a distributor thinking I could deal with them when I wanted to do restarts or cancels. Turns out, once they get the account set up, the distributor washes his hands of you and turns you over to the fun folks at Dish.
Old 04-30-2013, 08:04 PM   #7

Excel Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
I was going to get pay as you go but it would required a whole new account and the monthy charge. I already pay $7 a month for a second reciever in the house. So I juts put it in the RV. $7 a month thats it. If I ever dump the house accoung I may do the pay as you go plan
chief02 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
satellite