Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-25-2016, 09:20 AM   #197

Not likely as a directional antenna like the NanoStation is more powerful. If you were to buy a bullet, you would need a parabolic directional antenna even to come close. An omni antenna will not work.

Remember, it takes two to have a conversation. The output power of whatever they are using in the office likely will not have the power needed to come even close to being able to work 1/2 mile away to talk back to you. Even more so when you have trees or anything in between.

Not sure if if you have NanoStation M2 or the NanoStation Loco M2. The Loco is 1/2 the size of the standard M2 and less powerful as it has a smaller antenna.
David Bott is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-25-2016, 09:36 AM   #198

Monaco Owners Club
I have the have NanoStation M2 (the big one). What's the best way to mount the NanoStation to the BatWing? I don't think the included cable ties will do the trick.
Fred Edelkamp, USAF Combat Camera Retired driving "Bullwinkle" 2008 Monaco Diplomat 36PDQ | 400hp Cummins I6 Diesel Pusher | 1440W Solar | 800Ah LiFePO4 | RVi TPMS | Roadmaster Tow Bar | RVibrake3 | 2020 Ford F-150 | Palomino Backpack Truck Camper SS-1251
frede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2016, 09:42 AM   #199

Sorry, not sure as we do not have one. I use a 16 foot painters poll as needed. Again however, 1/2 mile is a long distance if the park if just using a regular router. It just will not have the output power.
Old 11-26-2016, 01:50 PM   #200

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Transmit power is not the only factor to consider. The receiver sensitivity is important as well. Antenna gain is reciprocal - impacts both transmit and receive. And when considering a high gain antenna - directional can become very directional (more persnickety about alignment) and omnidirectional have a reduced H plane radiation angle. As with most things, you don't get something for nothing.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2017, 02:09 PM   #201

HAPPY NEW YEAR!

Just a note that the tutorial is still current with no changes needed. I mention this as it now is older seeing we are in a new year it makes it look very old.

RVingly Yours,
Old 01-05-2017, 09:05 AM   #202

Tiffin Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Another happy camper. I bought the Nanostation loco M2 and followed the tutorial. It all went smooth as silk. I already had a spare Asus router, so I did not get the Airgateway. I simply plugged in the lan cable from the POE power thing to the wan port of the router and I was up and running. There is no special configuration change for the router, just use all the default settings.

I did a few additional things that I thought I would share.
1) I updated the Nanostation to the latest firmware (V5.6.2 to V6.0) I tend to always do this to every electronic gizmo I get. V6.0 was just released last month and Ubiquiti strongly recommends to upgrade for security reasons. There are a couple of new features they added, you can read the release notes for the list.
2) I installed their Android App Umobile on my tablet which gives you access to the Nanostation so you can do the site survey through the app to connect to the RV Park's wifi. It also shows status and signal strength info. This allows me to not have to drag out the computer to connect to a new wifi signal. I have only used it to connect to my home wifi signals so far but I am confident it will work on the road as well. I think someone else mentioned another App to do this, but I have not tried it.
3) I bought this suction cup window mount from Amazon https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Which seems to really work well. I also have a wash brush on a telescoping pole that I am going to use to mount the radio on when needed.

I think I am all set, thanks to David's awesome tutorial. I will be the envy of all my nerdy RV friends
LarryJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 09:12 AM   #203

Nice tips....Especially the APP one.

I do not mention firmware as I did not want to add to the confusion. Most people that needed to use my tutorial would, well, not need to use my tutorial if they knew how to do such things. Not that it is hard...It is just not wanting to add to anything.

Maybe I will be a followup blog/video on updating firmware and the APP you mentioned.
Old 01-05-2017, 10:02 AM   #204

Tiffin Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Bott View Post
Nice tips....Especially the APP one.

I do not mention firmware as I did not want to add to the confusion. Most people that needed to use my tutorial would, well, not need to use my tutorial if they knew how to do such things. Not that it is hard...It is just not wanting to add to anything.

Maybe I will be a followup blog/video on updating firmware and the APP you mentioned.
David,
The App I mention is actually still in Beta as it shows as being unreleased. They said it could be unstable. I'm not sure what that actually means, but it worked for me. I think someone else mentioned another app called EasyUBNT I may download that one as well to see how it works. There is a paid version of that one though, while Umobile is free.

Also, that window mount I found is only $8 and it really works well. The clamp holds it very securely and can be clamped to either side of the radio. It can be pointed in any direction as well. I haven't tried it yet, but I am hoping it will mount to the side of the coach as well. I could then mount it higher.
Old 01-05-2017, 10:11 AM   #205

EasyUBNT is an installer app used to monitor AirMax devices. I own a copy of that paid version for the networks I operate. I had seen the one you mentioned reads that it is still not officially released. But it does look interesting so I installed it and when I get the chance, I will give it a go.

On a side note...I recently put a full Ubnt UniFi system in our coach for our local network that still uses an NanoStation as the WAN. I did it as that is what I currently would install in a park and thought it would be great to have a full system in the coach. Two access points...One inside, one on the roof which also allows for guest access complete with captive portal.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	UniFi.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	215.8 KB
ID:	148341   Click image for larger version

Name:	screenshot_1422.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	176.3 KB
ID:	148342  

Old 01-05-2017, 10:43 AM   #206

Tiffin Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
I think Umobile is also a installer app that can take the place of the web interface as well.
I went to the EasyUbnt web site where there is more detail about their app. It appears to me that it adds the ability to save the password keys for multiple wifi networks so that when you revisit a park you can reconnect without reentering the password. Is that right?
Old 01-05-2017, 12:00 PM   #207

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryJB View Post
I think Umobile is also a installer app that can take the place of the web interface as well.
I went to the EasyUbnt web site where there is more detail about their app. It appears to me that it adds the ability to save the password keys for multiple wifi networks so that when you revisit a park you can reconnect without reentering the password. Is that right?
I also use the EasyUbnt paid app, and that is correct. You can save the password keys, although I have not been doing that. Many parks change the password from time to time anyway, so it doesn't seem worth the effort. It is easy enough to put it in again. But you can do it.

I use the EasyUbnt paid app on my smartphone because the interface is much easier to read on the small screen than trying to use the web browser to access the AirOS screens to search for and connect to Wifi AP's. It works fine, worth the money if you have a router that uses the AirOS software. I have 3 of them, and it can save the login and settings for each of the routers.
Old 01-05-2017, 12:05 PM   #208

Tiffin Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Jim,
Can you tell me the difference between the free version and the paid version?
Old 01-05-2017, 02:17 PM   #209

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryJB View Post
Jim,
Can you tell me the difference between the free version and the paid version?
It was too long ago to remember. I don't think the free version had the screen to scan for AP's, and connect to them. But I am not sure. I mainly used it to make sure the paid program would likely be compatible with my phone and tablet. So I really didn't try to do much with the free version. Sorry!
Old 01-05-2017, 02:49 PM   #210

Tiffin Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
That's ok Jim. No problem. I will probably just download it and give it a try. I will probably just buy it if it works well for me.

Tags
power