Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-04-2014, 07:24 AM   #1

Poor TV Reception

Our TS Fifth wheel that we purchased this summer does not receive near the amount of channels we received with our little old fifth wheel. We are lucky to get 3 or 4 channels with our TS, but we would get 15 to 25 channels with our old unit. Any ideas? Wiring? Booster? Antenna?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-04-2014, 01:48 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Hi and welcome to the forum.

Do you have the typical Winegard "Batwing" crank up antenna and interior booster? You've probably already done this, but ensure that the booster is on and that you attempt to aim the antenna at the signal source. If you're getting some but not all channels... I would doubt a wiring problem.

Best of luck

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 02:02 PM   #3

In ours there is a little button on the lower wall next to the front passenger seat that switches the reception between the antenna booster and cable. You may need to push that switch to the on position for the TV antenna(ours show a small green light), and then turn on the TV and let it go through the auto programming again. We had the same problem and thought it was a defect, our dealer told us this and it worked perfectly. If you have cable hook up then you have to turn the antenna off and auto program the Tv to get cable.
Mike and Cha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 03:21 PM   #4

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Suspect #1 is indeed the booster power supply/source switch/splitter (The wall plate with the 12 volt outlet, switch, light, and antenna connection)

Make sure LIGHT is on, this is a biggie

Next stop is the roof.. IF your Batwing has not the Wingman, get him and attach him to it. But while you are up there disconnect the cable from teh antenna head CAREFULLY (DO NOT SHORT CENTER WIRE TO NUT) measure the voltage, Center wire should be +12V (battery voltage) relative to nut, if not, problem found, bad wire.

While you have teh connector off inspect, the white center insulator should come all the way to the bottom of the nut well, (that is the end of the hole in the center of the nut)

Finally re-connect and weatherise this connection.
Old 11-01-2014, 07:57 AM   #5

Thanks for the Replies

Yes this is a batwing design. One side has been damaged. I went ahead and ordered a replacement. I needed to update to a digital anyways. Hope this will do the trick.
Old 11-01-2014, 09:26 AM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
All the old Batwing's are digital. Also work with Black & White and color TV's the same.
Did you order the new head with the Wingman?
Triker56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 03:41 PM   #7

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddunbar50 View Post
Yes this is a batwing design. One side has been damaged. I went ahead and ordered a replacement. I needed to update to a digital anyways. Hope this will do the trick.
Regarding Update to Digital
From the point of view of the antenna it is all Radio Frequency
In days of old when broadcasters were bold and put high power ANALOG signals, the frequencies they used fell on 82 channels divided into 3 bands, VHF low (2,3,4,5,6) VHF High (7-13) and UHF 14-83), Well the UHF was not as popular due to the fact that the higher in frequency the more "line of sight" the signal has to be (This means VHF goes farther than UHF).. So the upper channels got re-assigned to other things.

With the move to Digital, broadcasters made two changes.
First: They lowered their power. I will story why later in this post.
Second: Many moved "UP" into the UHF band (Which now only goes to sixty something by the way) but it's still the same UHF band.. So you still use the SAME antenna.

The Batwing (Sensar II or III) is a decent VHF antenna but not as good at UHF, Add a Wingman or upgrade to a Sensar IV and you now have a good UHF antenna, in fact non better for RV use.

Add a Sensar Pro to replace that wall plate and LOOK OUT, Lots of gain in that box. Greatly improves reception.

The story:
As a Ham Radio operator using my TS-2000 and 80-100 feet of wire on Voice (Single Sideband) mode I can talk to most of the US, I have made one overseas contact (Got lucky) I push 100 watts into the wire as do many others. Some push as much as a thousand. SSB carries way better than double sideband with carrier (Which is what they used to use for TV).

Switching to assorted digital modes I've made contacts all over the world.. Same radio, only running it at around 30-40 watts, same wire, Just using a special modem (My laptop's sound card) to Modulate (encode) and demodulate (Decode) the signals. In fact I have had 100% copy on signals I could not detect by ear. 1/3 the power and the entire WORLD instead of most of CoNus.

Digital rules.

But just like me and the radio.. i use the very same transmitter, the very same receiver, teh very same antenna and so on, only what is done with the audio is different, it either feeds my ears or my computer's ears... And of course I cut the power to like 30 percent on digital.

Digital Tv is the same, Same antenna, Same transmitter, (Fraction of the power).
Old 11-02-2014, 07:14 AM   #8

Ford Super Duty Owner
I think my problem is caused by more TV's and using a simple splitter vs a distribution amp. Old coach with 2 TV's got all local channels (with Wingman) and new one with 4 TV's can't get watchable picture on the stations with low power transmitters. One of my projects is to add an amp to compensate for signal loss in splitter. If you have more than one TV - remove splitter and see what happens.
Suzie & Chuck USNR USAF USCGA Challenger Owners Club 2015 37KT Challenger, Demco Commander tow bar, Ready Brake, Sewer Solutions, Safe-T-Plus 41-230, 5-Star tune, towing 2017 Ford Edge FWD 3.6L V-6 four down & 385 FastTrack kayak in the basement.
Summer - Creede, CO Winter - Okeechobee, FL
ctpres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 11:28 AM   #9

Great information. I ordered a Jack antennae. But it looks like I need to check on the amplifier. The Sensar Pro looks like a great item. Thank you all.
Old 11-09-2014, 03:31 PM   #10

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Sensar Pro

If I install the Sensar pro, do I need to disconnect the original booster? My 1997 HR only had a switch with no light hooked to a Winegard SB2000 12 volt power supply. Currently I tapped off the SB2000 to the sensar pro. Not sure if that is the right way or not. I have 13 volts dc at the mast head and only get 6 channels. I'm only 30 miles from Jacksonville Fl. Any help would be appreciated.
Old 11-09-2014, 04:10 PM   #11
Community Moderator

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Winegard seems to be offering a new type rooftop OTA antenna.
Winegard Rayzar Air Amplified TV Antenna

They say it is a direct head replacement for the batwing with or without the wingman and works better(?)...
...Looks interesting
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (Ret), Damon Outlaw #1193
I have seen gross intolerance shown in support of tolerance, Samuel Coleridge
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 04:36 PM   #12

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
What replacement did you order?
Winegard Sensar IV (Best)
if you ordered a Sensar II or III pick up a wingman.

on the indoor wall plate you can upgrade to a Sensar Pro (About 100 bucks) and that made a major improvement for me.
Old 11-09-2014, 08:38 PM   #13

I agree with wa8yxm on all but the price on the Sensar Pro. Amazon has it for around $70.

I have the Rayzar antenna, and am very happy with it. But the Sensar IV is better if aimed correctly. Rayzar might be better if not aimed correctly. But no reason to not aim it correctly if you have the Sensar Pro.