Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-28-2016, 07:11 AM   #1

Portable DirecTV Antenna Woes

We've had the Winegard Carryout for 6 years and it's done just fine but it's having problems now. Last fall, we lost one connection and apparently, the 2nd connection took a dump over the winter or did DirecTV change something? Either way, we're looking at alternatives.

We see a lot of the traditional dish antennas that need to be aimed which is intimidating. It looks like one needs all sorts of peripheral equipment to get this type of antenna tuned in. How hard are they to set up?

HD is a plus for sure but not a game ender.

Is there limit on how long the cable can be in order to get reception?

We're looking at this:

DIRECTV SWiM Mobile RV Portable Satellite Dish Tripod Kit SWM SL3S

We have 2 HR 24-200 receivers. One is a DVR which we leave at home. We bring the non-DVR receiver with us which has worked just fine with the Carryout till now. That's why I wonder if Direct has changed their signal.

The downside to this model seems to be that it only has 1 line. In our Ventana, the bedroom TV must have it's own receiver which is just dandy if there are 2 lines. Without rewiring the coach, is there a way to get the sat signal to the bedroom from the receiver for the main TVs? Where we camp the most, there is no OTA!

Are there other options that are better or easier?

Advice is much needed and appreciated!
KarenS144 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-28-2016, 08:34 AM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
I'm not a SWM expert but you only need a single line from the antenna to the coach. The signal is split to service the two or more TVs.

If you think you are going to have a problem aiming the dish, think about springing for a Winegard Trav'ler roof mount antenna. It does everything that the manual dish does - it just does it automatically at the push of a button.

If you don't want HD, just about any of the carry out dishes will work for you.
luvlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 08:48 AM   #3

We need something to locate in the open. We have a roof mount which is useless under canopy.
Old 04-28-2016, 09:03 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenS144 View Post
We've had the Winegard Carryout for 6 years and it's done just fine but it's having problems now. Last fall, we lost one connection and apparently, the 2nd connection took a dump over the winter or did DirecTV change something? Either way, we're looking at alternatives.
KarenS144
Why don't you simply replace the connection you lost... and repair, (or replace), the connection that took a dump over the winter?
Wondering
Mel
'96 Safari
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 09:15 AM   #5

If you go to a system that uses a conventional dish then make sure it has a contractor stye tripod. They are very easy to set up on unlevel ground if necessary. If you use SD then a small dish is all you need, HD will require the Slimline. If you have multiple receivers and want to run only one line then you will need the SWM LNB. There are outfits that offer the whole package or you can piece one together yourself. Setting the dish up just takes practice, the Slimline requires one more adjustment than the small dish and of course is larger if storage is an issue. Once you have the satellite dish settings from DTV, then level the tripod, not close but level! Use the signal screen on the TV and start sweeping the sky for signal. I use a phone app to locate the satellites general location. The more you practice the better you get.
If you only take one receiver and want to view on another TV I use a wireless HDMI transmitter. It just mirrors what they other TV is seeing. Using the remote from that location might be problematic however. I use one for our outside TV.
http://www.tv4rv.com/sunshop/
falconman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 09:31 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by mel s View Post
KarenS144
Why don't you simply replace the connection you lost... and repair, (or replace), the connection that took a dump over the winter?
Wondering
Mel
'96 Safari
We aren't sure that's what the issue is but would be happy to try to fix it. Is it something we try ourselves? We've never had it the dome open and don't know what we need to look for.

Is this something you've done and can give us some pointers?
Old 04-28-2016, 09:43 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by falconman View Post
If you go to a system that uses a conventional dish then make sure it has a contractor stye tripod. They are very easy to set up on unlevel ground if necessary. If you use SD then a small dish is all you need, HD will require the Slimline.
The size and storage issue & ease of setting up is one reason we went with the carryout. We were hoping to find cheaper alternatives if we wind up having to replace it.

Quote:
If you only take one receiver and want to view on another TV I use a wireless HDMI transmitter. It just mirrors what they other TV is seeing. Using the remote from that location might be problematic however. I use one for our outside TV.
TV4RV: Satellite - Tripod - Slimline - Dish - DirectTV: satellite and Internet for RV - Recreational Vehicles - RVers - DishTV - Satellite Dish - FTA - Tripod
The 2 TVs in the front and the one outside all operate off of 1 receiver. The TV in the bedroom needs a separate receiver. Thanks for the wireless transmitter idea!

We may look into trying to fix the carryout that we have but have no idea what to look for or fix. We can hear it grinding and twirling away but it's just not transmitting a sig to the receiver.
Old 04-28-2016, 09:52 AM   #8

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
We may look into trying to fix the carryout that we have but have no idea what to look for or fix. We can hear it grinding and twirling away but it's just not transmitting a sig to the receiver.
Have you called the factory? Usually you can send it back to the manufacturers who will repair it for a fee.
MRUSA14 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 10:02 AM   #9

National RV Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
If you search the forum, you will find other people who have lost signal from their sat dish. Apparently Dish and Direct changed something in the Sats that makes some dish's not work any more.
Old 04-28-2016, 10:03 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRUSA14 View Post
Have you called the factory? Usually you can send it back to the manufacturers who will repair it for a fee.
I've called before with questions and been less than satisfied but have tried again and not gotten through.

I suspect shipping and repair costs would be pretty expensive but worth exploring.
Old 04-28-2016, 10:20 AM   #11

Quote:
We aren't sure that's what the issue is but would be happy to try to fix it. Is it something we try ourselves? We've never had it the dome open and don't know what we need to look for.
Is this something you've done and can give us some pointers?
KarenS144
I have a roof mounted KingDome and no experience with a Winegard Carryout.
Sorry.

Where is the connection that you said "took a dump over the winter"?

Mel
'96 Safari
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 10:37 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by mel s View Post
KarenS144
I have a roof mounted KingDome and no experience with a Winegard Carryout.
Sorry.

Where is the connection that you said "took a dump over the winter"?

Mel
'96 Safari
We're having problems with the carryout antenna and think it maybe the connection from it to the cable that runs to the receiver. Now why it worked when we camped the last time and it doesn't work now is a mystery since it wasn't moved and sat in the storage bay in the coach which was in it's garage all winter.

Amazingly, I was able to reach Winegard and the guy I spoke with said the first thing to do would be to check the voltage of the cable from the receiver to the antenna and that it should be between 12 & 18. If it's not, then there is a problem with the cable. If it is, then it's an issue with the dish....maybe connectors or cracked something or shields or .... pick something!

He also said that it would probably be worth shipping to them and having it fixed if it wasn't a connector which we could probably do. At least we've got something to check.
Old 04-28-2016, 10:54 AM   #13

Karen,
First, let me say that DirecTV has not done anything to their 101 satellite (which is the source of your current signal with any "dome" or "carryout" dish) that would have caused your problem. So, the issue you are seeing is local to your situation.

As discussed, you can either fix or replace your current carryout or "upgrade". It is not as easy to setup a manual dish as it is to just plug in a carryout and let it do the work. I would say the biggest determinate here is how often you move. If you only stay in a place for one or two days and then move on, the automated setup is clearly the easiest way to do things. If you stay in one place for an extended time then the setup of a manual dish really is not that big a thing.

Now, things get more complicated. You sort of added HD to the mix. If you stay with DirecTV you must use a Slimline design dish to get HD. You have basically three alternatives here. You can get a $3,000 RF Mogle automated unit, a $1,800 Travler automated unit or a $100 to $200 manual setup. You would have to add a the price of a meter to the manual setup. And none of the automated prices include installation. In my case I am too cheap to go with the automated alternative, but a lot of others prefer this alternative.

And then there is another complication. DirecTV now uses two technologies to transfer the signal from the LNB to your receiver: SWM and conventional. These have dramatically different requirements for the meter needed to do the alignment. With the conventional technology you can use one of those inexpensive (around $25) meters to find the 101 satellite. With SWM the meter cost rises to around $280 (SATLOOKLITE) to $485 (AIM meter). These meters drive the SWM LNB directly and make aiming much easier than other alternatives. In addition, these prices are still much less than automated Slimline dishes, but make your SD carryout seem more reasonable.

At this point I think you sort of need to figure out whether you want SD or HD and whether or not you want SWM versus conventional before you can get more specific information on achieving your goals.

Bob

(On edit: it looks like I was typing while you were making your last post. But, the information is still valid.)
Old 04-28-2016, 04:08 PM   #14

It is no big deal to set up a sat. We've been doing it for 9+ years with no need for a Meter. 90% of the time its a piece of cake.
Nana25K is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
directv, antenna