Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-19-2009, 04:14 AM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Portable satellite antenna

Has anyone used this portable satellite antenna for Dish Network?

eCOST.com-Winegard Portable 18 Inch Satellite Dish Antenna with LNBF - RD-9046 - Winegard RD-9046 (CATV & SATV) - eCOST.com - electronics, computers, laptops, mp3 players

Thanks,

Ron
Ron & Dee is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-19-2009, 08:11 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron & Dee View Post
That was always my favorite antenna for a portable setup. As long as you only want to watch the 119 satellite for Dish Network it works very well, is easy to setup and store and even has a carrying case if you like but it's not necessary.
Bill Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 06:20 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
I carry this portable Winegard but haven't used it in 4 years. Folds down to 8 1/4"H x 19 3/8"W x 14 5/8"L 13 lbs. PM-2000 ~$119.

-Tom

Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 07:42 AM   #4

I like the other one a little better (although it is quite a bit more expensive than the one above) because it requires no assembly/disassembly and the LNB stows well protected under the dish.
Old 11-20-2009, 07:59 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Adams View Post
That was always my favorite antenna for a portable setup. As long as you only want to watch the 119 satellite for Dish Network it works very well, is easy to setup and store and even has a carrying case if you like but it's not necessary.
Bill,

I'm pretty sure I only need 119 for my programing

According to this imformation for that antenna on Camping World; Works with basic Dish Network programming not recommended for the Dish 500 system.

The current antenna I'm using now is the Dish 500

I tried again to use my old antenna that I was using for Direct TV. I selected the dish 300 on the set up screen, and acquired a signal for a few minutes, but the receiver never would download the information from the satellite. Shortly after that I lost the satellite signal and never could acquire it again

Will this antenna work with my receiver?

__________________________________________________ _________

Quote:
I carry this portable Winegard but haven't used it in 4 years. Folds down to 8 1/4"H x 19 3/8"W x 14 5/8"L 13 lbs. PM-2000 ~$119.

-Tom
Tom,

That is my old antenna that I bought 5 years ago to use with my Direct TV that I have been trying to use with Dish Network.

That is a very good antenna, compact, easy to set up and acquire a signal no matter where I traveled.

I wish I could get it to work with my Dish Network.

Thanks,

Ron
Old 11-20-2009, 08:18 AM   #6

Quote:
Bill,

I'm pretty sure I only need 119 for my programing

According to this imformation for that antenna on Camping World; Works with basic Dish Network programming not recommended for the Dish 500 system.

The current antenna I'm using now is the Dish 500

I tried again to use my old antenna that I was using for Direct TV. I selected the dish 300 on the set up screen, and acquired a signal for a few minutes, but the receiver never would download the information from the satellite. Shortly after that I lost the satellite signal and never could acquire it again

Will this antenna work with my receiver?

__________________________________________________ _________

Tom,

That is my old antenna that I bought 5 years ago to use with my Direct TV that I have been trying to use with Dish Network.

That is a very good antenna, compact, easy to set up and acquire a signal no matter where I traveled.

I wish I could get it to work with my Dish Network.

Thanks,

Ron
Yes, it will work with Dish Network or DirecTV and any receiver. However, so should the one that you have. It says not recommended for Dish 500 because this service gets programming for 110 and 119 and a 2 LNB dish would work better.
Be sure that once you get your antenna pointed and set to Dish 300 that you run a check switch to let the receiver know what kind of antenna switch (or lack thereof) is installed.
Old 11-20-2009, 08:23 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Adams View Post
I like the other one a little better (although it is quite a bit more expensive than the one above) because it requires no assembly/disassembly and the LNB stows well protected under the dish.

Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 08:32 AM   #8

Old 11-20-2009, 08:40 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Thanks Guys,

I'll try my old antenna again, and again, and again, just to see if I can get it to work

With either one I know I am going to have to set it for dish 300, but I forgot to check switch.

I'm curious about the pointing azimuth? When I change from dish 500 to dish 300 the direction is different by as much as ten degrees, and where I get a signal from the satellite is still not exactly where it says to point the antenna

Here I go again, be back latter

Ron
Old 11-20-2009, 08:53 AM   #10

Quote:
Thanks Guys,

I'll try my old antenna again, and again, and again, just to see if I can get it to work

With either one I know I am going to have to set it for dish 300, but I forgot to check switch.

I'm curious about the pointing azimuth? When I change from dish 500 to dish 300 the direction is different by as much as ten degrees, and where I get a signal from the satellite is still not exactly where it says to point the antenna

Here I go again, be back latter

Ron
When you use the Dish 300 setting and a single LNB antenna you will have the full-on face of the dish pointing toward one satellite and no skew involved. With Dish 500 you have to find a compromise between the 2 satellites and skew the dish to align with the varying altitudes of the satellites. This requires a different azimuth and usually different elevation settings as well. The azimuth reading is approximate and that approximation also depends upon the accuracy of your compass. Lots of variables. In general, you will find that the satellites are located within 5 degrees or so to one side or the other if you give yourself a good starting point.
Old 11-20-2009, 09:18 AM   #11

National RV Owners Club
Here is the RD-9046 for $113.00
Winegard RD-9046 RV 18 Portable Satellite Dish TV Antenna Folding..

Dick
Old 11-21-2009, 03:56 AM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theberrys View Post
Thanks Dick,

That's a good price, but I'm not sure I'm going to be able to use that style dish since I can't get a signal with the one I have. I might try one from Camping World and see if it works, if not I can take it back.

I did the check switch thing and the information comes back the same no matter if I have selected 300 or 500. The only difference the pointing screen tells me are different coordinance for 300 and 500.

And there again that confuses me. If my dish 500 is pointed at 225 degrees to pick up satellite 119, I should also be able to point the dish 300 at 225 degrees and not the 240 that the pointing screen says

I guess I need an expert to physically show me how to set my old 300 dish up to recieve satellite 119, or modify my dish 500 to a be more portable.

Ron
Old 11-21-2009, 05:53 AM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I don't want to hijack this thread but.... at one house I had Dish, at another I have Direct. I use Direct in the MH and the portable Direct antennae with the Direct receiver at the "dish" house. The Dish antennae is still mounted at the Dish house. My question, can I realign the Dish antennae and use my Direct receiver? Then I would not have to use the portable. Confused?
Old 11-21-2009, 07:19 AM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elkhartjim View Post
I don't want to hijack this thread but....
No worry

That's basically what I'm trying to do with my two different antennas, but so far haven't had any success.

Ron