Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-02-2013, 12:42 PM   #43
Community Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahW View Post
Dang. It's all Wayne's fault.
$250 each

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-10-2013, 05:47 PM   #44

Quote:
Thanks for the great testimonial, Ron! Sounds like the Carryout won't disappoint. Can I ask if you have plugged it into the cable inlet on your RV?

Also, do you ever lose signal when it's raining?? How does it perform in bad weather?
Rain fade is common with all satellite systems. It depends on the amount of rain in the air and the direction it is coming from. The rain drops block the signal. I have gottne satellite during a hurricane but not for long! It was when the eye was passing. All dishs are affected by rain fade.
Swamp Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 05:08 AM   #45

i have a question about the tailgater . i have seern several new ones and they are in a clear plastic dome. does this make them able to better receive a signal .
Old 10-11-2013, 10:16 AM   #46
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Clear housing?! That's just cool! You can watch all the parts move.

I have seen those on-line and at retailers, but I think they are only for demonstration.

Please share if you find some for sale.
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 07:00 PM   #47

We're full timers. We have the Dish VIP211K receiver and the Winegard carry out MP1. We've not had any problems and we never have to worry about tree in a camp ground.
Old 11-12-2013, 12:28 AM   #48
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by billyb View Post
i have a question about the tailgater . i have seern several new ones and they are in a clear plastic dome. does this make them able to better receive a signal .
Have you seen the clear ones for sale, or just demo? That sounds cool.
Old 11-12-2013, 12:28 AM   #49
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by R1Kirby View Post
We're full timers. We have the Dish VIP211K receiver and the Winegard carry out MP1. We've not had any problems and we never have to worry about tree in a camp ground.
Good to know, thanks.
Old 11-12-2013, 09:33 AM   #50
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Have you seen the clear ones for sale, or just demo? That sounds cool.
Saw one on You Tube...pretty sure the ones with a clear housing are for demo.

Safe travels
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Old 11-12-2013, 09:52 AM   #51

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Overland Owners Club
I'm going to chime in here a little even though this thread has been going for a while.

All products have pros and cons. One excels where another falls short, and the roles can reverse in other situations.

All satellie antennas can generate more signal strength with a larger reflector that is properly designed. The size and shape of the reflector depend on how many satellites it is designed to view and their location in orbit relative to each other. In the case of "Dome" antennas, the reflector is designed to focus one point in space to the LNB. These reflectors can be round, or elliptical ( low profile ), but the end result is, size matters. Even relatively small increases in reflector size can make large gains in signal strength.

This is the premise behind the Winegard Anser and Pathway, these two antennas have larger reflectors and gather more signal, which allows them to work very well as single satellite antennas for DirecTV standard definition ( 101 ) and for Dish Network using ( 72 ). These two antennas offer more signal strength than the Carryout, or Tailgater/VuQube, and again, allows you to use Dish 72 on two tuners, for almost all channels without having the complication of toggling between 110, 119 and 129.

The color and shape of the "dome" do not have any direct correlation to signal strength, other than the difference in collecting water drops, dew, frost, moisture, etc.

On coax length......
The problem biggest problem with "long" coax for satelite use is not signal strength, it is the DC voltage passed from the receiver to the LNBs to control the polarity of the LNBs. The LNBs are toggled by switching between 13 and 18 volts. as the coax gets longer, there is voltage loss/drop from one one of the coax to the other. if the voltage drops too far, the LNBs and receiver can't react properly together... When you use an antenna that receives it's operational power from the coax, then this problem is exaggerated even more, since the antenna electronics draw more current thant he LNBs, and hence causes even more voltage drop.
Using RG6 coax helps reduce that voltage drop by using larger conductors and better shields. You are also better off keeping connections to a minumum, as each connection causes additional voltage loss. The maximum coax length is not a hard number, however, at some point things just won't work. If you operate constantly at the "fringe" of coax length, you are simply asking for trouble, and potentially damaging the LNB's or receiver.

Satellite TV in the RV environment is always some sort of compromise, you just have to decide what is most important to you. What works great for one person may not be the ideal setup for you.

I'm always available to help.

Don
Owners of: www.tvformyrv.com
TVforMyRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 09:54 AM   #52

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Update on the Dish Tailgater. Spoke with King Controls, maker of the Tailgater recently. They changed the design of the feet for the Tailgater for the third time. New models will again have mounting feet of them that will allow the tailgater to be mounted. If this is a requirement for you be sure and check with the seller to ensure you get the configuration you want.

Galllery:
http://casitaadventures.smugmug.com/Casita-Adventures
baron100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 10:00 AM   #53

The clear dome unit that I saw was at myrtle beach, and the fellow told me he bougt it from camping world and thats the way they had them.
Old 11-12-2013, 10:58 AM   #54

Winnebago Owners Club
I have to agree with all the positive statements about the tailgater. But, sat 72? I haven't heard of that one and my Dish receiver manual doesn't mention it. Any more info on that? I've had a few problems loosing signal in the rainy northwest, especially 129, so I have an iPhone app to help me point it correctly. I don't mind the one channel at a time, and I run the channel 3 output into the BOMB to the bedroom TV. Sure, it's RVing and not camping... But too much TV kinda goes against my grain!

This has been a good thread with lots of info. I'm going to run an RG6 down to the entertainment bay, it's a lot shorter than the outside cable hook up forty feet back by the electrical hookups. Oh, and I got the tailgater *free* when I signed up for Dish at home!
Falcon190 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 11:09 AM   #55
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon190 View Post
I have to agree with all the positive statements about the tailgater. But, sat 72? I haven't heard of that one and my Dish receiver manual doesn't mention it. Any more info on that? I've had a few problems loosing signal in the rainy northwest, especially 129, so I have an iPhone app to help me point it correctly. I don't mind the one channel at a time, and I run the channel 3 output into the BOMB to the bedroom TV. Sure, it's RVing and not camping... But too much TV kinda goes against my grain!

This has been a good thread with lots of info. I'm going to run an RG6 down to the entertainment bay, it's a lot shorter than the outside cable hook up forty feet back by the electrical hookups. Oh, and I got the tailgater *free* when I signed up for Dish at home!
Dish SAT 72 (EKB: Dish Network Channels at 72.7°) is an Eastern Arc bird.
See a coverage map here: http://www.irv2.com/forums/f53/satel...ml#post1592605

The Tailgater does not link to Eastern Arc SAT's, unless someone does some tweeking to it...which should not be a problem for users the NorthWest US.

Safe travels
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Old 11-12-2013, 11:42 AM   #56
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVforMyRV View Post
I'm going to chime in here a little even though this thread has been going for a while.

All products have pros and cons. One excels where another falls short, and the roles can reverse in other situations.

All satellie antennas can generate more signal strength with a larger reflector that is properly designed. The size and shape of the reflector depend on how many satellites it is designed to view and their location in orbit relative to each other. In the case of "Dome" antennas, the reflector is designed to focus one point in space to the LNB. These reflectors can be round, or elliptical ( low profile ), but the end result is, size matters. Even relatively small increases in reflector size can make large gains in signal strength.

This is the premise behind the Winegard Anser and Pathway, these two antennas have larger reflectors and gather more signal, which allows them to work very well as single satellite antennas for DirecTV standard definition ( 101 ) and for Dish Network using ( 72 ). These two antennas offer more signal strength than the Carryout, or Tailgater/VuQube, and again, allows you to use Dish 72 on two tuners, for almost all channels without having the complication of toggling between 110, 119 and 129.

The color and shape of the "dome" do not have any direct correlation to signal strength, other than the difference in collecting water drops, dew, frost, moisture, etc.

On coax length......
The problem biggest problem with "long" coax for satelite use is not signal strength, it is the DC voltage passed from the receiver to the LNBs to control the polarity of the LNBs. The LNBs are toggled by switching between 13 and 18 volts. as the coax gets longer, there is voltage loss/drop from one one of the coax to the other. if the voltage drops too far, the LNBs and receiver can't react properly together... When you use an antenna that receives it's operational power from the coax, then this problem is exaggerated even more, since the antenna electronics draw more current thant he LNBs, and hence causes even more voltage drop.
Using RG6 coax helps reduce that voltage drop by using larger conductors and better shields. You are also better off keeping connections to a minumum, as each connection causes additional voltage loss. The maximum coax length is not a hard number, however, at some point things just won't work. If you operate constantly at the "fringe" of coax length, you are simply asking for trouble, and potentially damaging the LNB's or receiver.

Satellite TV in the RV environment is always some sort of compromise, you just have to decide what is most important to you. What works great for one person may not be the ideal setup for you.

I'm always available to help.

Don
Lots of great info there, Don. Thanks very much! I'm thinking the Pathway x2 will be the best choice for us.

Tags
satellite