Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-01-2013, 08:52 AM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

Red face Portable Satellite Antenna--Winegard Carryout, Anser, Pathway x2 or TailGater??

Yes, I'm back. Thanks to many of you, we successfully set up Dish pay-as-you-go RV service with our rooftop KVH TracVision dome. It worked great in most campgrounds, but... (you know what's coming ) there always seems to be that ONE great site that would be PERFECT if not for all the trees blocking the satellites.

So now I am considering a portable antenna, probably as my unsuspecting hubby's Christmas gift. I am looking at the Winegard Carryout and the Dish TailGater, which both seem to have faithful followers. I see that the Winegard is significantly more expensive, so I have to wonder why that is. I'd appreciate anyone's feedback on either unit, both positive and negative.

I am specifically interested in quality of build, ease of use, and how the unit has held up over time. Then I will have questions about installation...in particular, do these portables simply attach to the cable TV input in the utility bay? Thanks in advance.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-01-2013, 09:06 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
The Tailgater can only be used with the DISH VP211K receiver and you can onlt watch/record one channel at a time.

We were happy with out Tailgater as a weekend/vacation unit. However it does not hold up to daily full-time use. Dish has replaced the receiver once so far and King has replaced the antenna once as well. We are no longer using the tailgater and bought a used dish and tripod to watch TV reliably.

If you want to look at King Controls, look at the more expensive VuQube series.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 09:17 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXiceman View Post
The Tailgater can only be used with the DISH VP211K receiver and you can onlt watch/record one channel at a time.

We were happy with out Tailgater as a weekend/vacation unit. However it does not hold up to daily full-time use. Dish has replaced the receiver once so far and King has replaced the antenna once as well. We are no longer using the tailgater and bought a used dish and tripod to watch TV reliably.

If you want to look at King Controls, look at the more expensive VuQube series.

Ken
Thanks, Ken. We have the Dish VIP211K receiver so no problem there. Sorry you have been disappointed with your TailGater. As you know, we are not full time, so will use a carryout infrequently and typically ONLY if we can't get the roof dome to lock onto the satellites and need better line-of-sight.

I appreciate your feedback and will check out the VuQube series.
Old 10-01-2013, 09:29 AM   #4

We have both a rooftop Travler and a Tailgater. We are full time and have actually had more use from the tailgater than the travler due3 to site locations. The tailgater is simple to set up but we have not tried attaching it to the cable connection in the bay. We just run the cable in through a window. You just set the dish on the ground, or roof as in our case, and tell it to find the satellites. May take a few minutes but always happens as long as we have paid the bill. It has taken some rough weather. Its very light and subject to wind. You may need to fasten it down or weight it down. Ours got blown around and actually physically disconnected by the wind and still works. I was surprised.
firedoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 09:34 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by firedoc View Post
We have both a rooftop Travler and a Tailgater. We are full time and have actually had more use from the tailgater than the travler due3 to site locations. The tailgater is simple to set up but we have not tried attaching it to the cable connection in the bay. We just run the cable in through a window. You just set the dish on the ground, or roof as in our case, and tell it to find the satellites. May take a few minutes but always happens as long as we have paid the bill. It has taken some rough weather. Its very light and subject to wind. You may need to fasten it down or weight it down. Ours got blown around and actually physically disconnected by the wind and still works. I was surprised.
Good info, thanks! I looked at the Trav'ler but I'm interested in a portable unit and something more budget friendly! Thanks for the tip on installation; I have seen RVs with the cables run through a window. I still wonder if that cable inlet can be used, though.
Old 10-01-2013, 10:19 AM   #6

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Sarah, if you are locked in to Dish then I don't think there is any need to go to the VuQube, which supports both Dish and Direct. We have been very happy with the Tailgater. I was initially concerned that it only works with "Western Arc" satellites but so far we have used it in Oregon, North Carolina and all points in between with no problems.

I connect ours to the cable input in the wet bay. I pulled the other end of that wire from the bomb and put it through an A/B splitter so we can still use campground cable without messing with cabinet wiring.
Bruce Dickson 2013 Thor Challenger 37GT, 5 Star Tune, Safe-T-Plus Steering Control with Air Trim, Roadmaster front and rear Sway Bars, SuperSteer rear Track Bar, Crossfires, 2018 Honda CRV . Full timers since Jan 2012.
bdickson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 11:40 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdickson View Post
Sarah, if you are locked in to Dish then I don't think there is any need to go to the VuQube, which supports both Dish and Direct. We have been very happy with the Tailgater. I was initially concerned that it only works with "Western Arc" satellites but so far we have used it in Oregon, North Carolina and all points in between with no problems.

I connect ours to the cable input in the wet bay. I pulled the other end of that wire from the bomb and put it through an A/B splitter so we can still use campground cable without messing with cabinet wiring.
Ah, good to know, Bruce! We are pretty much locked into Dish because we want HD and pay-as-we-go. We only get to take trips in the moho every few months so this works best for us.

Our setup doesn't have a "BOMB." We just select input sources from the TV menu. Where is your A/B splitter installed? Is it in the wet bay or in the AV cabinet?
Old 10-01-2013, 12:07 PM   #8
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Hi Sarah,
I have had a Carryout for 4 years now. I do not have any satellite antenna on the roof. Maybe one day I'll get the traveler, or trade the MH for one.

The Carryout has worked exactly as expected. It is a fully automatic dome antenna. It will find 110, 119, and 129 without any problem and if there are other satellites you need they have DIP switches on the inside that need to be set for those satellites, like Easter/Western ARC satellites. There are two feeds from the antenna for different receivers. However, keep in mind that there is NO dome on the market at the present time that will receive more than one satellite at a time so you are limited to watching the same channel, or a channel that is on the same satellite.

Since you have the 211K, I believe that the Anser antenna will work with that receiver. Need to check. If it does, then the Anser is a one DISH satellite antenna and gets Sat #72 and all programming from dish including HD, I think. The elevation needs to be set on it, but once that is done it finds the satellite automatically. If I had a 211 I'd look more seriously into the Anser. I carry my VIP-722 DVR with me when we travel.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 12:07 PM   #9

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahW View Post
Our setup doesn't have a "BOMB." We just select input sources from the TV menu. Where is your A/B splitter installed? Is it in the wet bay or in the AV cabinet?
I put the A/B switch in the AV cabinet. If you don't have a BOMB then the wet bay cable should go straight to the TV. You'll need to disconnect it at the TV and attach it to the input of an A/B switch. Then, with two short pieces of coax connect one A/B output to the TV and the other to the satellite input on the 211K box. And I just thought of something.... you also have a roof satellite dish which we don't. If you want to be able to use both dishes and cable TV without swapping cables then you might actually need two A/B switches. Of course, without seeing your setup I'm just guessing. Pictures please?
Bruce Dickson 2013 Thor Challenger 37GT, 5 Star Tune, Safe-T-Plus Steering Control with Air Trim, Roadmaster front and rear Sway Bars, SuperSteer rear Track Bar, Crossfires, 2018 Honda CRV . Full timers since Jan 2012.
bdickson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 12:40 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdickson View Post
I put the A/B switch in the AV cabinet. If you don't have a BOMB then the wet bay cable should go straight to the TV. You'll need to disconnect it at the TV and attach it to the input of an A/B switch. Then, with two short pieces of coax connect one A/B output to the TV and the other to the satellite input on the 211K box. And I just thought of something.... you also have a roof satellite dish which we don't. If you want to be able to use both dishes and cable TV without swapping cables then you might actually need two A/B switches. Of course, without seeing your setup I'm just guessing. Pictures please?
This is beginning to sound like a bad idea!! Sorry I can't provide any photos; the Bounder is across town tucked away in storage. Here is what I was thinking... we will only use the portable antenna occasionally if/when the roof dome does not get a signal. (We lost signal one time on our last trip when it was raining LIGHTLY. I think the low-profile domes allow water to collect, which is a whole 'nuther issue.) But I digress.

On the occasions when the dome can't get a signal, I was thinking that we could roll out the portable unit, plug into the cable plug in the wet bay, and voila'... satellite TV. Am I being naive again??? Dang. No wonder my hubby doesn't want to retire and be home all day.
Old 10-01-2013, 12:45 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne M View Post
Hi Sarah,
I have had a Carryout for 4 years now. I do not have any satellite antenna on the roof. Maybe one day I'll get the traveler, or trade the MH for one.

The Carryout has worked exactly as expected. It is a fully automatic dome antenna. It will find 110, 119, and 129 without any problem and if there are other satellites you need they have DIP switches on the inside that need to be set for those satellites, like Easter/Western ARC satellites. There are two feeds from the antenna for different receivers. However, keep in mind that there is NO dome on the market at the present time that will receive more than one satellite at a time so you are limited to watching the same channel, or a channel that is on the same satellite.

Since you have the 211K, I believe that the Anser antenna will work with that receiver. Need to check. If it does, then the Anser is a one DISH satellite antenna and gets Sat #72 and all programming from dish including HD, I think. The elevation needs to be set on it, but once that is done it finds the satellite automatically. If I had a 211 I'd look more seriously into the Anser. I carry my VIP-722 DVR with me when we travel.
You're going to trade your motorhome for a Trav'ler??? I'll be right there!!

Thanks for the input on the Carryout. I have to wonder why they are more $$ than the Tailgater since they seem to function the same. I'm not concerned with having two receivers as I have gotten over it and accepted that we will have satellite on ONE TV.

As for the Anser, are you saying that there is no HD on the Carryout?
Old 10-01-2013, 12:46 PM   #12

Spartan Chassis
Hi All..
Just had to add my.02....
I bought our "New to us" coach in April this year.. It came with a King Dome Roof Top antenna.. It has NEVER locked onto a satellite since I got it..The PO said it always worked for him.. That's another story! I have tried King Dome Support, Tried to find a local dealer and the best advice I got was on a forum... Throw that piece of junk away! The support for their product is virtually non existent! I have used my Winegard Carry out every time we have used the coach.. I have had it over 4 years for "blocked" sites and it has always worked..
One time I had 200 feet of cable connected to find an open sky site.. Has never failed to work.. In fact last year we were next to a great couple and their 2 little girls who wanted to watch the Olympics but were blocked also.. I used out put one for our coach and we strung output 2 to their trailer and we both had service..
As you can tell I like Winegard.. In fact I am about to order a new Trav'ler for my Coach as soon as I can figure out what receivers I can use.. Want a Genie with wireless clients so I can clean up my wiring mess.
Ron
04 Travel Supreme 40DS04 400 Cummins ISL
rhusak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 12:59 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhusak View Post
Hi All..
Just had to add my.02....
I bought our "New to us" coach in April this year.. It came with a King Dome Roof Top antenna.. It has NEVER locked onto a satellite since I got it..The PO said it always worked for him.. That's another story! I have tried King Dome Support, Tried to find a local dealer and the best advice I got was on a forum... Throw that piece of junk away! The support for their product is virtually non existent! I have used my Winegard Carry out every time we have used the coach.. I have had it over 4 years for "blocked" sites and it has always worked..
One time I had 200 feet of cable connected to find an open sky site.. Has never failed to work.. In fact last year we were next to a great couple and their 2 little girls who wanted to watch the Olympics but were blocked also.. I used out put one for our coach and we strung output 2 to their trailer and we both had service..
As you can tell I like Winegard.. In fact I am about to order a new Trav'ler for my Coach as soon as I can figure out what receivers I can use.. Want a Genie with wireless clients so I can clean up my wiring mess.
Ron
Thanks for the great testimonial, Ron! Sounds like the Carryout won't disappoint. Can I ask if you have plugged it into the cable inlet on your RV?

Also, do you ever lose signal when it's raining?? How does it perform in bad weather?
Old 10-01-2013, 04:27 PM   #14

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via ICQ to Fred and Bonnie
We are "addicted" to TV service. I use the Carryout for short stops, ease of operation and HD Service. The 211K sort of cramps our style since we like to record one program and watch another. When we settle down for longer stays, I set-up a 3LNB dish and hook-up the 722 DVR. I know we are spoiled, however we don't "camp" we RV.

Fred
Fred and Bonnie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
satellite