Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-03-2017, 03:51 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Possible Future Satelite customer

Hi there everyone,

DW and I full time in our Rig, but still work at brick in mortar jobs here in Sacramento California. Our rig is a 2003 with an old analog satellite dome on our roof. We currently get all of our TV over the air, and are fairly happy with the selection of programming available to us.

However, we are thinking of changing to a satellite provider for additional offerings like history channel and others.

Are there any suggestions out there about what we might consider and who to talk too before taking the plunge.

Thank you for your input.

Safe travels!

Eric and Carol Anderson
luvdoggiez is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-03-2017, 07:00 PM   #2

DISH or DirecTV

If you go with DISH, I'd suggest this basic setup . . .

Winegard Pathway X2 automatic portable antenna

DISH VIP 211k HD receiver

Then sign up for DISH programming.
TechWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 07:42 PM   #3
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
If you're looking for a roof mount antenna the Wingard's Trav'ler SK-1000 will work best. It is not however, an in motion dish.
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 06:15 AM   #4

if you want to start easy, and simply, you might want to try a very quick and least expensive setup for a single tv:

-the new Dish KINGTailgater, or the new Dish WINGARDPlaymaker, portable and automatic antenna
-the Dish VIP211 or VIP211k receiver, with remote

either of the new Automatic Acquisition satellite dish antennas mentioned above will provide easy portability and quick setup. don't worry about mounting one to your roof yet because you may find that having a unit that you can easily set out anywhere might give you more options when you start with satellite service.
the receiver mentioned is a good option for you as well because it provides an input for your existing Antenna input so that your local antenna channels that you are already watching can be integrated within your Dish Channel Guide with your remote. you won't need to switch back and forth between 'input' setting on your tv to watch both locals and satellite channels - sweet.

later, if you find that you need more than a single tv, you can try the kingTailgater2, with two receiver outputs(though somewhat limited on the second tv), or a tripod mounted OpenFaced antenna(like you see on most homes), which gives you up to 3 outputs, but you have to manually 'point' it to the satellites, which is a learning curve.
MisterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 11:13 PM   #5

Eric,

First let me say how refreshing it is to have someone actually ask about satellite service BEFORE they go out an buy equipment and wonder why it will not work. That is all to common here. Good for you.

Since your RV is your home and you have no other setup to try to be compatible with I think I would go with Dish brand offerings. Your satellite dish alternatives are far more and far less expensive than corresponding offerings for DirecTV. The only issue I have heard with Dish branded products is when you want to have two separate TVs on two separate channels that may demand you move from one satellite to another which means one receiver will go dark when you make the change. (Dish TV requires automated dishes to move from one satellite to another for some channels. Multi-head manual dishes do not need to move.)

I making an assumption here that your rig (2003) has standard tube SD receivers, so there is not really that much difference between dishes for DirecTV or Dish. If I am wrong, Dish seems to have lower cost HD alternatives than DirecTV and generally seem to be more RV friendly than DirecTV.

Just my thoughts,
Bob (and I have DriecTV)
Old 01-05-2017, 11:50 PM   #6

Damon Owners Club
One thing is for sure. If you have an old satellite on the roof, you may not be able to use it with Dish Tv. They have changed their coding for Tv HD, so you will have to buy a new satellite system. If it is set for Direct Tv, you will only be able to receive SD channels, and they will not be broadcasting the SD channels after 2017. You are better off to buy a brand new system. Dish is more RV friendly when it comes to local channels. You can just call them with a new zip code. Direct TV from my understanding does not change your locals if you are traveling. Plus I hear their customer service does not have a clue when discussing RV satellite systems. If you have internet, I would start with a good search of some companies like, Winegard, Kingconnect, and a few others right here on the ad pages. One thing is for sure, make sure you are well informed about the different set boxes, and antennas. This can get very confusing when you start this adventure. Not all satellite antenna are equal, and not all set boxes are equal. I think Winegard and Kingconnet describe the major difference. Like I said, educate yourself first. There are a lot of great people on here to help also. Good Luck.
hawkeye1995 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 07:04 AM   #7

For a roof mount there is nothing better than a Wineguard Travl'r. Whether for Dish or Direct.
For a portable there is the Wineguard Pathways X2 (for Dish) and the Direct equivelant, can't remember the model name. These two have bigger dishes inside the encloser for better reception. They do take up more storage space.
We have Dish Network but with AT&T new unlimited data plan if you have Direct TV I would definitely consider that route.
Selah is offline   Reply With Quote