RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-10-2016, 11:08 AM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Printer ISSUES!!!!

OK we have a HP1400 printer. I can print COPIES of existing things but, when I try to PRINT something off the lap top I get the message "Printer out of Paper" and it's full and, will make copies of existing things right after that. SO what gives?????

D Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-10-2016, 12:03 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
You probably have the wrong driver installed or the correct port is not configured.

unw1red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 12:18 PM   #3

Gulf Streamers Club
Send a message via Skype™ to normandlegra
Delete the printer with your config panel and reinstall it with the CD in that laptop.
normandlegra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 12:46 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
This printer has been working great UNTIL today. In fact about 1 week ago I printed stuff off with no problems. It's like maybe something in the printer in ref. to paper is not communicating with the lap top.
Old 03-10-2016, 12:55 PM   #5

What do you mean when you say you can print copies of existing things versus print off the laptop? Are you using another computer in the mix to act as a print server? It sounds like this might be part of the issue.
Old 03-10-2016, 01:00 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
I can use the printer as a copier with no paper feed issues. When I use my laptop to try and print a document I get a small dialog box on the laptop saying printer is out of paper. The printer is NOT showing any type of error.
Old 03-10-2016, 01:36 PM   #7

I really hate to ask this because you have probably already done it, but, did you unplug the printer usb cable, turn off the laptop (not just restart) let it sit for about a minute, then turn it on again and reinsert the usb plug after all is up and running? This typically forces the drivers to reload and can help with something getting goofed up in memory.

I know this sounds like one of those BS tech support questions, but I have had issues with my HP1006 in days gone past with something getting out of sync between the laptop and printer. This was with a Windows 7 machine, not a Win 8/8.1. But, it happened.

If you have done all this, I agree with an earlier poster that, for whatever reason, it looks like a driver got whacked and you will have to do a reload on the driver(s). I would recommend going directly to the HP support website and downloading the most current drivers. It could be an issue with a Windows update and your existing drivers. Getting the latest driver(s) could help.
Old 03-10-2016, 02:40 PM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Check what size paper is selected.

Dan
Old 03-10-2016, 03:31 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by D Lindy View Post
OK we have a HP1400 printer. I can print COPIES of existing things but, when I try to PRINT something off the lap top I get the message "Printer out of Paper" and it's full and, will make copies of existing things right after that. SO what gives?????
Unfortunately, the copying process has no connection (bad pun) to the "Out of Paper" message. They're not related in any way. There have been some good suggestions. However, it's VERY hard to evaluate and diagnose problems without any info, like the following:
  1. What version of Windows are you using?
  2. How is the printer connected to the computer, USB or wireless/WIFI?
  3. Can you print using a different computer or some other device?
When the computer says the printer is out of paper, that almost has to be a specific message it's getting from the printer. However, it it's connected to the computer with a USB cable rather than wireless, it *could* be a loose or defective cable; try making sure the cable is snug and the connectors are undamaged. You could also try a different cable, if you have one. And try printing from a different computer or device, if something else is available.

So if you have tried powering everything off, disconnected the printer completely, rebooted the computer, and finally reconnected the printer, and it's still happening after all that, THEN you turn the printer off, disconnect it, open up the Printers panel in Windows, and finally DELETE the printer. Now reboot the computer, let it start up, then power up the printer and connect it to the computer; it should reinstall automatically.

If the problem continues after that, you've almost certainly got a broken printer.

Many printers have a diagnostics cycle they can run. Check your documentation and see what you can do with that specific printer.

If you've done all that and still nothing fixes it, you can try calling HP. Odds are it's broken, and can't be fixed without spending far more than the printer is worth.

Good luck!

Roger
Old 03-10-2016, 03:33 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpinvidic View Post
Check what size paper is selected.

Dan
Yeah, that's a very good one. Can't tell you how often I've seen people trying to print A4 size on a printer loaded only with 8.5x11.

Roger
Old 03-10-2016, 04:11 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Bob Mari: You get the GOLDEN Award. I shut the laptop down waited 5 minutes, restarted it and all was well. Thanks
Old 03-10-2016, 06:51 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by D Lindy View Post
Bob Mari: You get the GOLDEN Award. I shut the laptop down waited 5 minutes, restarted it and all was well. Thanks
You are very welcome. I'm glad it worked for you. Printer issues really drive me nuts when they happen. Fortunately, they don't happen often.