Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-27-2014, 07:44 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Printer Recommendations

Hello Everyone,

My husband and I are about to start our full-time journey and we are wondering what to do about a printer for our motor home. We want a really small printer that works well. We saw one in Best Buy, it was an HP Officejet Mobile Printer,model OJ100.

Does anyone use this? If yes, what is your opinion.

Can anyone recommend something else?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Leslie
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-27-2014, 07:59 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
We have been very happy with an Epson NX430 All-In-One wireless printer (printer, copier, scanner) that we have installed in our coach. It is a WiFi printer so you don't need to have wires connecting it to your laptop. And it is inexpensive. There a few models of the NX4xx's that you can consider and all have good user feedback on Amazon.
Old 04-27-2014, 08:03 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Hi Leslie;
I am not familiar with the model but am familiar with the brand. In my opinion HP makes a better than average quality printer. Of concern would be the cost of inkjet cartridges.

It will depend upon how much you plan to use your printer and where it is stored. If you only use it occasionally the main problem will be the cartridges "drying up" and therefore having to be replaced. Inkjet cartridges require regular use.

We were fortunate enough to get an Inkjet at Walmart during a Black Friday sale for 25.00. It works fine but cost of cartridges are high.

I write a newsletter for the RV park we stay in so we upgraded to a color laser. Still costly but I can leave is sit for 6 months and then with a gentle shake of each cartridge continue printing. It is a M451dn but is fairly costly and has a large footprint. Overkill for occasional printing.

If you like the HP the thing to do is check out the cost of replacement cartridges. Same for any other brands you might consider. Many manufacturers will get you into their brand and then make back the low cost of the printer by high ink costs.

There are more and more ink refill places that will save you some costs. Manufacturers of course say that it is not of the quality of their ink but who knows. If indeed the refilled ink does crater your printer if your investment is low another printer is a simple replacement.

I have used HP for years as well as Epson, Okidata, and Canon and have always come back to HP.

Hope this helps a bit. I think you will make the right choice no matter which printer you purchase.
Old 04-27-2014, 08:06 PM   #4

We use a HP ENVY 4501...print-scan-copy-photo....all wireless. Walmart under $100
bullheaded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 08:13 PM   #5

HP 100 portable printer, no scanner. I use CamScanner app on my android phone to replace the scanner for copying receipts, insurance documents, etc, that I store on the computer so I can pitch the paper documents.

I find that I don't print very many documents. I try to do everything by email and often create pdf documents to send as attachments to email.
2000 Country Coach Magna 40' Indulgence, CAT C10, #5892
2019 Ford Ranger XLT
phays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 10:52 PM   #6
Community Moderator

prefer laser printers for the quality and economy. inkjet will dry up quickly and cost more. i am using brother mfc-7440n not very small though.
CountryFit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 10:55 PM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Having sold, serviced, and supported many printer brands over many years - I recommend HP printers.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 02:03 AM   #8

I've had a Brother B/W Laser printer for over 4yrs now. Original toner, damn thing just runs and runs...😜
UncleBilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 03:52 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryFit View Post
prefer laser printers for the quality and economy. inkjet will dry up quickly and cost more. i am using brother mfc-7440n not very small though.
I am with Country fit on this one. Inkjet is just to expensive to run. Every 5 minutes you have to buy new ink cartridges either because they have run dry or dried up. Having said that we use one ourselves. Colour prints ? - don't even think about that. It's even more expensive.

If you can "live with" the inkjet cost, then here is a good place to start looking.

Laser printers can be small(ish). Here is one that gets a good review.

Good luck searching.

danes-on-tour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 04:39 AM   #10

X2 on the laser. The laser toner cartridge will last much longer. I prefer HP but other brands work just as well. Just make sure that in the future you can buy a toner cartridge. I would determine which model number of the vendor you decide and the also look up the toner cartridge part numbers. Check with the office supplies stores or amazon to determine pricing and availablity. I try to stick with original vendor cartridges. For some reason the others have caused problems in the past. One of my prior employers decided to save a buck on office supplies and went with there compatible toner cartridges and caused maintenance headaches. The printer was down more often until us engineers finally convinced IT that we would not allow them to buy cheap toner cartridges for our engineering printers any longer. The learn a valuable lesson in who design the products for the company. Unhappy engineers equals very low productivity and missed schedules. Not good. Just my two cents.
cowrv39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 05:49 AM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Another possibility to consider... Many of the office supply stores (Staples, Office Max, etc...) offer easy printing services. These stores are so prolific that finding one isn't too hard. When it comes time to print some photos or a large document (not sure if anyone even does that anymore), run off to one of these stores with a USB memory card in hand (or use their online service) and save your printer for the small/low quality jobs.
Old 04-28-2014, 09:19 AM   #12

Several good printers out there. I prefer HP because they work with just about anything including iPad and iPhones wireless and with practically no setup.
What ever you get make sure it has print, copy, and scan capabilities.
Selah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 07:31 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Wow, lots of great suggestions! Guess we'll take some time to research these and figure it out.

Thanks so much for all of your input.

Safe & fun travels to all,
Leslie