Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-31-2017, 04:32 PM   #1

Problem with 2nd Dish Network Receiver

We've got the factory installed Winegard Roadtrip Mission in motion satellite dish on the rooftop, and it is wired with 2 cables out of the dish, one that goes to the primary receiver, and another that goes to the cabinet in the bedroom. This dish can only see one satellite at a time. When we change channels to a channel that is on a different satellite, the antenna moves to look at a different place in the sky. We have been using a Dish Network VIP211z receiver for the TV's in the front of the coach with no issues. Yesterday I connected and activated a second 211z for the bedroom TV.

The secondary receiver does not control the dish, so it only see's the satellite that the primary receiver is getting. If we tune the primary receiver to a channel on a different satellite, the secondary receiver loses signal. In order to get reception again on the secondary, I have to go through the point dish procedure, the aquiring signal procedure and the program guide download. This can take 15+ minutes. The manuals for the dish and receivers don't seem to have any special instructions for setting up dual receivers.

Is this the normal process for using two receivers on the Dish network with a Roadtrip Mission dish? It sure takes a long time to get a signal when we want to change channels. I was hoping there is some secret in setting up the secondary receiver so that it can see whatever satellites it is being fed, instead of having to do the "point dish" setup every time we change channels.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-31-2017, 05:14 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by chindog View Post
We've got the factory installed Winegard Roadtrip Mission in motion satellite dish on the rooftop, and it is wired with 2 cables out of the dish, one that goes to the primary receiver, and another that goes to the cabinet in the bedroom. This dish can only see one satellite at a time. When we change channels to a channel that is on a different satellite, the antenna moves to look at a different place in the sky. We have been using a Dish Network VIP211z receiver for the TV's in the front of the coach with no issues. Yesterday I connected and activated a second 211z for the bedroom TV.

The secondary receiver does not control the dish, so it only see's the satellite that the primary receiver is getting. If we tune the primary receiver to a channel on a different satellite, the secondary receiver loses signal. In order to get reception again on the secondary, I have to go through the point dish procedure, the aquiring signal procedure and the program guide download. This can take 15+ minutes. The manuals for the dish and receivers don't seem to have any special instructions for setting up dual receivers.

Is this the normal process for using two receivers on the Dish network with a Roadtrip Mission dish? It sure takes a long time to get a signal when we want to change channels. I was hoping there is some secret in setting up the secondary receiver so that it can see whatever satellites it is being fed, instead of having to do the "point dish" setup every time we change channels.
You need to connect the secondary receiver to the SAT 1 coax and run the Check Switch routine and let it down load any new firmware needed. Once this is done then reconnect it to the SAT2 coax and it should work as intended, or switch receivers since the main receiver is already fully programmed and make it the secondary.
Old 07-31-2017, 05:26 PM   #3

That is the joy of a single LNBF dish. Only one receiver can control the dish.

We started with a single LNBF auto dish and after a month, started to put up a ground tripod with a triple LNBF head. Both receivers could watch any satellite. Good tools make the setup a matter of minutes.

After 7 years, we got a Winegard Trav'ler.
Lots of RV Information at www.dmbruss.com
Dale & Mark Bruss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 05:53 PM   #4

This is correct. There is nothing wrong with your system, it's the limitation of your satillite system. I have the same system.

I've gone to a dish mounted on a tripod like Dale did. I till like the in motion system for when we're on the road. Keeps the passengers busy. Personally, I'd hesitate to go with the Trav'lr. It's a great system if you do not have any obstructions when parked. Most of the campgrounds I go to have lots of trees and my rooftop antenna is frequently obscured. The tripod setup with 100' of dual coax seems to be pretty much the bulletproof setup. Once you figure out how to align it quickly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale & Mark Bruss View Post
That is the joy of a single LNBF dish. Only one receiver can control the dish.

We started with a single LNBF auto dish and after a month, started to put up a ground tripod with a triple LNBF head. Both receivers could watch any satellite. Good tools make the setup a matter of minutes.

After 7 years, we got a Winegard Trav'ler.
Old 07-31-2017, 07:06 PM   #5

Thanks for the info, everyone! Since we also have a Pathway X2 for when we are in heavy tree cover, I'll plug the secondary into that for firmware updates. That will also work for times we are staying more than just an overnight.
Old 07-31-2017, 10:09 PM   #6
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
Since you have a Pathway carryout, you can use the two receivers independently. It's a little more effort, but hook the carryout to your second receiver through the tripod input, then use your other receiver from the rooftop dome. I did that for a while with my Allegro RED, but decided to go with a Travler on our new coach.
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 09:57 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt Dan View Post
Since you have a Pathway carryout, you can use the two receivers independently. It's a little more effort, but hook the carryout to your second receiver through the tripod input, then use your other receiver from the rooftop dome. I did that for a while with my Allegro RED, but decided to go with a Travler on our new coach.
This is what I am doing tonight, and for the next two weeks while we are in this park. It was nice to be able to watch the outside TV, while a different channel on a different satellite was on in the living room.

Tags
dish